Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Sorry, op.
It totally runs the gambit.
From Hondas and Toyotas to Ferraris and Lambos.
Never saw any Kias and Hyundais.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
The key takeaway here is that very few what we consider "rich" people drive cars that we associate with "being rich."

More and more, "rich" and "wealthy" are being smashed for the frugal minded who over decades save, or those who made smart choices.

Folks who earn a lot of money in their wages tend to splurge more and end up worse off in the long run. I work with a number of coworkers who drive BMWs, Audis, or Caddys, but they are all earning within 10, maybe 20% of me, and they made a conscious decision to have their car payments and maintenance rival their mortgage payments. One guy I know who drives two BMWs, a daily driver and a tuned one, said he only had one kid because he likes to race and couldn't afford a second kid.

I did it before ... bought a used Z4. Drove it till I crashed it after six years. Now I have a Ford Fusion AWD. Never again will I spend so much money on a car. The maintenance alone I calculated, after the warranty period ended, to be around $250 / mo, after I did my own stuff like change brake pads and rotors, tires, oil, spark plugs, sensors, etc.

Won't stop a lot of people from leasing or buying a car they can't afford. Boggles my mind.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Won't stop a lot of people from leasing or buying a car they can't afford. Boggles my mind.
We're not talking about this.
We're talking about people who can pretty much afford any car.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
It's funny, most wealthy people I know drive pretty modest cars.

Probably because most wealthy people I know are contractors or farmers, I also know a IBMer and a very rich foot doctor family friend lol.
If you're a farmer/rancher, small business owner, contractor, etc, chances are you write your vehicle off for business usage. My dad's a RETIRED farmer and he still writes off a new truck every few years after he depreciates it out to the point where it's more financially advantageous to simply buy a new one than keep one that's three years old.

Anyone I know who has their own business does the same and the best vehicle to purchase for writing off is a new truck and trade up every few years.

I've unfortunately never been lucky enough to have this perk.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
What's the point of being rich if you don't have the things you enjoy?
Maybe cars are not the only things there are to enjoy. I think the only reason people who are already rich continue to waste their remaining years multiplying their wealth is because it gives them power, the only pleasure that never wears out and gets jaded. And more power always costs more money, unlike things that have a price cap.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
If the OP wants to read the definitive study of those who are genuinely rich--and how they became rich--he should read The Millionaire Next Door, which was published quite a few years ago, but still remains relevant. The Millionaire Next Door: Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko: 9780671015206: Amazon.com: Books

That book contrasts the insecure folks whom you see all the time on the road, driving late-model, high-end MB, BMW, Audi, and Cadillac vehicles--all bought on credit or leased for the short term--vs the genuinely rich folks who drive less ostentacious cars, pay cash for them, and keep them for the long-term in order to extract maximum value from their purchase.

In case you are interested, I pay cash for non-ostentacious cars, maintain them flawlessly, and drive them for about 10 years--until I get tired of them. I won't tell you my net worth, but I will say that my neighbors would be amazed if they found out just how much this outwardly-modest guy was actually worth.

I have an old friend who feels the need to lease a new Cadillac every couple of years, and who likes to flaunt some flashy (junk) jewelry when he goes to Atlantic City each week to lose most of his money. He and his wife live in a tiny apartment in a dodgy urban neighborhood, and essentially live from paycheck to paycheck, while I am financially secure.
I am not a gambler, simply because I hate to lose money, and I pride myself on being very self-disciplined in terms of my finances. I own my house free and clear (current value in excess of $450k, on a 1 acre lot, in a very nice suburban/rural area), and my car was paid for in cash, while my old friend struggles to pay the rent on that dodgy flat of his. But...he has to obtain that damn leased Cadillac every couple of years, simply because he is so incredibly insecure.

While this is a generalization, I have found it to be true in a vast majority of the cases:

Those who are financially secure rarely feel the need to impress others with outward signs of their wealth.
On the other hand, those who are so insecure about themselves that they have to make themselves feel better via visible trappings of wealth, will lease cars that they could never afford to buy, and/or will go into hock for loans on cars that are far beyond their real fiscal status.

Or...in other words...don't fall for what you perceive to be signs of wealth, as they could be extremely inaccurate.
Or, to put it another way, those who pizz their money away by leasing/financing expensive cars frequently are those of somewhat limited means, but who don't want others to know their real financial status.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:34 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
My employer is one of the wealthiest people I have ever met. He is in his 80's, and owns apartment buildings, commercial buildings and mini-storages in Santa Barbara, Ventura, Santa Maria and San Luis Obisbo. He is truly a self-made man, having never inherited anything and building this all on his own. He drives a 1992 or 1993 Buick LeSabre. His wife drives a 2000 something Volvo.
He sounds like a guy I used to see in Morro Bay many years ago who drove a clapped-out Ford Ranchero. He looked like a handyman or house painter, but actually he owned several motels and other properties on the Central Coast.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 PM

Sorry, Retriever.
I know MANY genuinely rich people who are not trying to impress anyone who drive some really fancy cars.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:38 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sorry, Retriever.
I know MANY genuinely rich people who are not trying to impress anyone who drive some really fancy cars.

I guess that we must know a different set of genuinely rich people.
C'est la vie!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sorry, Retriever.
I'm with Stan.

The Millionaire next door isn't my definition of rich, but instead financially comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive