Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times

Advertisements

I got my engine on my kia swapped 2007 swapped at the dealership.
It cost me $4,060,$2400 for the engine and the rest for labor. My question is,isn't the alternator,battery,and spark plugs supposed to be replaced too? The machanic said no,but if I remember correctly he told me a month ago that the battery and alternator do get replaced on all engine changes. The car has about 106,000 original miles but I never had the alternator replaced.
I couldn't find much info on google or yahoo,so that's why I'm asking here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Yes, you should change your spark plugs always when the engine is swapped. The battery and alternator I can say yes with absolute certainty like spark plugs but I have done it every time I swapped an engine.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I really do not see any good cause to swap out all this. Why? Was there anything wrong with them to start with?
The only thing you need to be concerned with is ECU reprogramming, as ECU was factory tuned for that particular engine, and dealer (why did you even go there? No independents around?) should have re-flashed ECU for you. Likely they did.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
There is a difference between what is a good idea to replace when replacing and engine and what should be considered included when you contract for an engine replacement. If you want more than just the engine replaced, you have to contract and pay for replacement of more than just the engine. They do not throw in $1000 of replacement items for free.

Usually, when you have an enginer replaced, you get an engine. You can expect the block, pistons, crank, head(s), cams injectors to be included. Attachments generally are not included. Sometimes the water pump is replaced, usually the oil pump is included unless it is external. Turbochargers depend. Generally you shoud specify whether an engine replacement includes a turbocharger or not. The exhaust manifold gaskets and intake gaskets should have been replaced. With a manual tranismission I always repelace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out breaing while I have the engine out, but that woulld be an extra charge for a mechanic. Oil and coolant should be new. Oil filter too. Otherwise you just bought a replacement engine. You did not buy a rpelacement alternator, radiator, transmission, engine mounts, AC compressor, fuel pump and filter, etc. A good mechanic will tell you if he thinks you need things like motor mounts, alternator etc, but he will not replace them for free. However he should not charge book rates for labor if the engine is already out of the car.

Make sure they did not put a "texas long block" in your car. If so, sell it immediately and buy something else. Texas long block or equivalent is an engine rebuilt in a factory (originally they all came form Texas) where they use super cheap chinese pistons, rods, etc. They recondition nothing and just replace everthing with cheap parts. Great if you need an engine to run for two or three years. Not so great for the long term. Hopefully you got a new factory built engine for that price, but it woudl depnd ont he car. $2400 is a lot for an engine for some cars and really cheap for others.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Well, first things first, it was probably a relatively poor decision to swap the engine on that car. Chances are the car isn't worth what you paid for the engine.

Outside of that, I would generally recommend changing all accessories like the battery, alternator, water pump, etc. when the engine is replaced, unless they had been recently replaced. However, that is not necessary to do and would add to the cost of the replacement.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I wouldn't necessarily expect any of the items listed to be replaced during an engine change unless specified.

I would expect the mechanic to inspect the spark plugs, clean them and set the gap before re-installing them in the new engine, but if they needed replacement I wouldn't expect it to be done at no additional cost unless the shop had specifically agreed to include it at the outset of the project.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Make sure they did not put a "texas long block" in your car. If so, sell it immediately and buy something else. Texas long block or equivalent is an engine rebuilt in a factory (originally they all came form Texas) where they use super cheap chinese pistons, rods, etc. They recondition nothing and just replace everthing with cheap parts.
Uh, what? "Texas long block" is not a term. An engine can be rebuilt ANYWHERE, in any state. I've been wrenching on cars over 20 years and have never heard that term. I've had several engines rebuilt here in TX, and yes, they absolutely do recondition engines here, whether it's remanufacturing a crank, or resleeving, or decking, whatever needs to be done to bring an engine up to factory tolerances.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Uh, what? "Texas long block" is not a term. An engine can be rebuilt ANYWHERE, in any state. I've been wrenching on cars over 20 years and have never heard that term. I've had several engines rebuilt here in TX, and yes, they absolutely do recondition engines here, whether it's remanufacturing a crank, or resleeving, or decking, whatever needs to be done to bring an engine up to factory tolerances.
I've obviously heard about cheap rebuilds, but I've never heard the term "Texas long block" used to describe them. New one to me.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I've obviously heard about cheap rebuilds, but I've never heard the term "Texas long block" used to describe them. New one to me.
New to Google too. Six results and guess who two of them are from

Old 01-09-2013, 02:56 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Maybe it comes from that there are alot of rebuild places in TX.

Google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive