Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 12:19 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

Toyota Motor Corp. tumbled to third place in Consumer Reports' annual quality survey, while Ford Motor Co. narrowed its gap with the Japanese, leaving the other domestic car manufacturers in the dust.

The results of the influential survey, which were presented Tuesday to the Automotive Press Association, were a blow to Japan's leading automaker, which has long set the standard for quality in the automotive industry. But they offered some much-needed good news for Ford, which is struggling to stem a decade-long decline in U.S. market share.

Ford gains,Toyota slips in quality survey (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071017/AUTO01/710170333 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 01:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Here's my take: the reason Toyota slipped a bit is because of the sheer mass of new Toyota's being sold. Making the supply meet the demand requires longer shifts, new hires, etc, etc. While Toyota still makes a fine automobile, theyre just supremely busy trying to ramp up production to meet the demand for their cars, speeding up the process, and perhaps leading to a few more quality issues. Add to the fact that many of them are made here in the states adds to the problem too. All the Toyotas Ive owned that were made in Japan were completely bulletproof, almost to the point of being hilarious (as in WHY WONT THIS MOTOR DIE!?!?!). Ever since they started production here in the states, Ive seen their quality diminish slowly. Theyre still phenomonal no doubt, but not like their imported cousins, which seem better built and more reliable.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM

340 posts, read 1,445,678 times
Nice try John,what you failed to mention was Toyota Motor Corp. made it into the top ten with Lexus,Scion and Toyota brands.Toyota had 17 vehicles on Consumer Reports list of the 39 most reliable models-far more than any other auto maker.While looking at the 2008 Consumer Reports Predicted Reliability list it is noted that not 1 Ford product was at the bottom of the catagories(small,family,luxury,wagon/minivan)while Dodge,VW,Chevy,Cadillac,Mercedes-Benz,Hyundai did make that list.It is noted that a Toyota Motor Corp.product was in the top in all catagories.To be fair the article said Toyota "is showing cracks in its armor"and no longer will receive automatic recommendations.Don't blow the horn too fast.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:46 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,863 times
I've owned a lot of different cars and I'm pretty good with maintenance. My 93 Corolla that I ended up giving to my step father has almost 300K and is falling apart, except for the motor and trans. My 99 toyota tacoma is very solid and no quirks. I also own a 2006 ford mustang GT and this car is a big improvement from previous fords. I think domestic cars (not all but some) are much better than the past and can be just as reliable as japanese cars. I know someone who has a 1998 ford f150 and has 300K miles without any major problems.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:55 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I've owned a lot of different cars and I'm pretty good with maintenance. My 93 Corolla that I ended up giving to my step father has almost 300K and is falling apart, except for the motor and trans. My 99 toyota tacoma is very solid and no quirks. I also own a 2006 ford mustang GT and this car is a big improvement from previous fords. I think domestic cars (not all but some) are much better than the past and can be just as reliable as japanese cars. I know someone who has a 1998 ford f150 and has 300K miles without any major problems.
I dont think the there is any doubt that domestic corp can make a long lasting reliable vehicle. The issue has always been with consistancy.
How many out of every 1000 will have minor/ major defects?
Where the Japanese have stood firm is that although uncommon they too have produced a lemon. The difference is percentage.
Example I owned a 1998 Ford ranger 4 wheel drive. It needed more warrenty work done on it than all of my Japanese vehicles combined...
I owned a 1989 olds cutless supreme same story.
My 2000 tacoma is my first japanese vehicle to have a failure. A water pump at 116,000 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive