Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:26 PM

297 posts, read 512,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
There were probably a dozen or so vehicles that had reserves this year. I believe the "reserve" ones were all in the Salon on Saturday evening.

I've heard the "speculation" of Phantom bidders but honestly...I've never bought the rumors. Barrett-Jackson is a very big, very prestigious, and very successful auction company; if something like that was ever leaked or was proven to be true, they'd lose EVERYTHING. Craig Jackson is a great guy, he donates quite a bit to different charities in Arizona, and he's a good corporate citizen in the Scottsdale area. He makes GOBS of money and I highly, HIGHLY doubt he'd ever condone something like that happening in his organization. The risk isn't worth the reward.
I'd hate to think they did it as well. Too much of a risk and the fall would be something one could never recover from. To me, it seems like a whole lotta work just to make the auction "look good". People already flock there just to see the cars and many to sell and buy. I've known some of both and none have said anything was "fishy" about the sell/buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 06:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
have you noticed any Chinese money making its way into the high-end collectible scene? From friends i know they've been quite active in the fine arts & fine wine auction arenas the past few yrs and wonder if they've shown any interest in auto collections.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 PM

838 posts, read 2,524,912 times
I also noticed that the Shelby's seemed to be down, but you never know the whole story behind these cars sitting in your armchair at home. Matching numbers is a big deal and if there was significant sheet metal done or a re-body, it will kill the value. Was pretty surprised that the '65 GT350 went for a little over $200k. Most of those are $250-350k. Can only guess what the issues were.

Was also surprised about the '67 GT500 survivor, but think this should be a lesson to everyone... just because an old car is low miles doesn't mean it's worth gobs of cash in "survivor" condition. That car actually looked bad under the B-J stage lights, something you hardly ever see. I'm guessing the car probably needs to be restored and the bidding supported that.

The red Boss 9 was surprising, thought I recognized one of the most knowledgeable Boss 9 experts by the car when it was on stage. I didn't notice anything out of order with that car. Seems like they were going for $400k+ just a few years ago.

And the Green Hornet... well, there are lots of details that need improvement with that car. Seems like I remember something with the rear quarter panels. The early '68 cars had an indented rear quarter reflector and then cars built later in the year had the quarter reflector that stood out on the qtr.

Need to get back to Scottsdale sometime. Really cool to see the auction in person.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
have you noticed any Chinese money making its way into the high-end collectible scene? From friends i know they've been quite active in the fine arts & fine wine auction arenas the past few yrs and wonder if they've shown any interest in auto collections.
I'm a casual observer more than anything, but personally, no I can't say I've noticed any oriental money trickling into the collector car hobby. Maybe if you're talking classic Ferrari's or the alike but the American muscle and American pre-war classics are still solidly being purchased by middle age and older men and women primarily.

If I had to venture a guess, and this is purely anecdotal, the average demographic of a collector of 50's/60's/70's era vehicles is a balding male between the ages of 55 and 70 who is either retired or owns a successful business. At Barrett Jackson, I'd say this brash demographic would account for somewhere between 60% and 70% of their client base. I was in the bidder's section with my balding, 70 year old father and his equally antiquated friends and I was surrounded in a plethora of old, white men. There ARE younger buyers that are my age (30's+) but predominantly, it's a hobby that the older generation indulges in.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
There ARE younger buyers that are my age (30's+) but predominantly, it's a hobby that the older generation indulges in.
I have also noticed this...everyone knows I'm a fan of classic Detroit iron and a gear head to heart, but seeing what some of the old farts are willing to pay for them makes me wonder how am I as the average Joe, to build something I like w/o having to take out a 2nd mortgage. Perhaps I'm better off sticking with a more newer performance car and letting the old farts continue driving up the already astronomical prices.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 AM

401 posts, read 534,386 times
Quote:
I would guess just a matter of time until the Chinese get interested in this too. Unless there is a government restriction on driving V8`s. Old American cars with V8`s is HUGE in Europe, even Russia.

You won`t find too many overseas buyers at BJ - it`s too expensive and hyped.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Some of the auctioneers have been accused of questionable tactics. Probably the most famous incident was the so called "SHORT HAMMER" of the Ramchargers 70 Hemi Cuda, which landed the car owner and Barrett Jackson in a lawsuit. It has also been circulated that vehicles owned by "preferred sellers" remain up on the block longer than vehicles owned by Joe Schmo. Maybe these accusations are sour grapes. Perhaps certain owners would do better in a reserve type auction like Meecum where they are more in control. I have been watching the program for years and to me it does seem that some auctioneers spend a lot more energy and time on certain vehicles than others in order to obtain every last dollar they can for the seller. I'll also say that energy spent is not necessarily always on high dollar cars.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Perhaps some of them are the mysterious "PHONE BIDDERS" that we never see.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I have also noticed this...everyone knows I'm a fan of classic Detroit iron and a gear head to heart, but seeing what some of the old farts are willing to pay for them makes me wonder how am I as the average Joe, to build something I like w/o having to take out a 2nd mortgage. Perhaps I'm better off sticking with a more newer performance car and letting the old farts continue driving up the already astronomical prices.
The best time to buy was a few years ago in 2009-2011 when prices were really down. Things have been picking up this year at Barrett Jackson, you could even tell just by the energy in the room. It's still decently affordable to purchase a classic muscle car but you're going to be stuck with a fairly basic Camaro, Mustang, GTO, etc.

Quote:
I have been watching the program for years and to me it does seem that some auctioneers spend a lot more energy and time on certain vehicles than others in order to obtain every last dollar they can for the seller. I'll also say that energy spent is not necessarily always on high dollar cars.
This could have a bit of merit in it. When a seller like Ron Pratte, Don Williams, Jay Leno, etc decide to sell a piece of their collection...then I imagine Barrett Jackson might spend a fair bit more time to get top dollar. for them. In any company, mine included, you know it's essential to treat your VIP's well and Barrett Jackson would be no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive