Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times

Advertisements

How long is it until your next smog test? I mean if it is 2 to 4 years out, anything could happen between now and then. The engine may sling a rod through the block or a tree may fall on the car and destroy it. If the check engine light isn't coming on and it feels like it is running smooth, leave it alone.

What brand, model and year is the car and how many miles are on it anyway? If it has a lot of miles it may just simply be burning some oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
Florida ended 'safety' inspections in the mid 80's and ended 'smog' inspections in July 00
It was determined that to 'fail' a few vehicles out of millions of tests was a waste of time and money.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:25 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Florida ended 'safety' inspections in the mid 80's and ended 'smog' inspections in July 00
It was determined that to 'fail' a few vehicles out of millions of tests was a waste of time and money.
It is good to hear that some government bureaucrats in this country think and make decisions that make sense.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Yes 88 is passing but just barely, I actually put Seaffoam in prior to getting the smog done.
Seafoam isnt really for making you engine pass the emissions test. It is a cleaner and takes a while to burn out the excessive carbon build up. I use it clean out my outboard engine and it makes it smoke until it burns out. You only want fresh clean gasoline in your tank when they check the emissions.The engine also needs to have been running for maybe 30 minutes or more before they test it.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
How old are the 02 sensors???? 02 sensors are WEAR ITEMS that need to be replaced on a regular basis.

An older 02 sensor(pre cat)....even one that is not throwing codes, can give the PCM information that is not optimal....which would let the engine run further away from stoichiometric.....this could cause the engine to have a poor exhaust profile. Also check the post-cat 02 sensor waveform(use a dvom, scan tool or scope)....you should see a flat waveform(or flat voltage with a dvom) if your catalytic converter is working well.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I was wondering if anyone could give some advice, I have an 07 Subaru Impreza that almost didn't pass smog. I'm not sure exactly what the test results mean but listed under HC (PPM) the score for M1 was 88 and 100 is the max allowed.

The guy at the smog shop said I should get a tune up but I replaced the plugs about 25k miles ago. Anybody have any ideas on what could be the cause of this?
Yes. you live in the wrong state!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Florida just went up a notch in my esteem...

California still makes my smog my 1976 which is older that most of the smog techs.

My 85 work truck gives the treadmill a real workout... it has a service body and come in over 5 tons.

Both of these vehicles were to sunset on smog after 25 years... my State has made several changes so smog every two year forever! Thank you California

If you are going to sell... now might be the time because a smog is only good for 90 days and one must be furnished when selling.

My 85 missed by a few points... runs great. I didn't want to screw anything up so I just spent the $225 for a new CAT and it passed with flying colors

Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 AM

389 posts, read 616,955 times
Heated oxygen sensors last almost forever; single wire ones a few years. Your problem is possibly that K&N air filter. The FI system meters air using a delicate strip of metal held at constant temperature. Varying air flow to the engine cools this strip providing a signal proportional to the mass of air. It's called a Mass AirFlow sensor, MAF. Eliminates a lot of sensors found in older flapper air flow devices, but is easily crudded up with oils. Repair or replace this sensor and go back to paper is my suggestion.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:54 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
If all you care about is passing a smog test, then relax, you passed!

If you care about your car running more efficiently, then take it to a good mechanic who can tell you what needs to be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive