Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM

18 posts, read 61,872 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the market for a new car and based on numbers, I've come down to two options: Audi A4 sedan with the quattro AWD or the Audi Q5 hybrid.

I love the looks and features of both cars, but I'm really torn. I'm drawn to the Q5 because of the cargo space and fantastic fuel economy that the hybrid drivetrain offers, but I have a hard time convincing myself that an SUV isn't a complete waste. I like the A4 a lot because it's going to be cheaper to purchase than the Q5 and I'm more used to driving a sedan than something higher up, but the lower fuel economy and the small trunk dissuade me.

Any opinions out there that may help me decide? Possibly any other car suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,160,384 times
No need to mention the hybrid, you had me at Q5...

To me would definitely be the Q5, since I prefer driving higher (safer and better visibility) and it also feels better on long drives. If you have a family and need the space, Q5 offers another advantage. Add the fuel consumption saving and I don't know who would even consider the A4...

Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,702 times
Did some looking around on both cars and it seems the A4 gets better fuel economy, not by much though. Forget about economy for a second.

Im not really attracted to the hybrid stuff, its fairly new technology, its more complicated, and more expensive. Theres just more that can go wrong.

Id rather have a diesel than a hybrid, I wish Vw/Audi made more diesels and made some models only diesel, mainly their SUVs.

wait, Vw makes most of their cars with a diesel option.

Not saying anything bad about diesel I think people are afraid of it. It just get overlooked when people look for efficiency. A dollar more a gallon isnt that big of a deal. Thats like an extra ten dollars for 400 extra miles in a full tank.

The decision is one that only you can make, Id go with the A4 and get it standard if thats possible, but thats just me.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:20 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,946,524 times
Be sure to do back to back test drives before you decide.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
The newly released Audi allroad, formally the A4 avant, the wagon version of the A4 would be my choice over the Q5. Lower and better handling and effectively the same size for packaging, also better looking, I always have preferred the Audi wagons over the sedans or SUV (crossovers). I think it is about the same price, maybe a little more expensive.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
The newly released Audi allroad, formally the A4 avant, the wagon version of the A4 would be my choice over the Q5. Lower and better handling and effectively the same size for packaging, also better looking, I always have preferred the Audi wagons over the sedans or SUV (crossovers). I think it is about the same price, maybe a little more expensive.
I too like the Allroad but it is more expensive than the Q5. I have no idea why. From memory, an article said it was like 4000 more.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM

114 posts, read 359,324 times
If you might keep this car for more than a few years, and even if you aren't, it might not be a good idea to buy an Audi hybrid in its first year of production.

I was also going to suggest the allroad as an option. It is more expensive, though. 2.0T to 2.0T, we have the Q5 as $2,500 less before adjusting for feature differences and about $4,400 less afterwards:

Audi allroad vs Audi Q5 Price Comparison

Why is the crossover less? I think this is a relic of a decision Mercedes made with the original ML. This SUV was designed for and manufactured in the United States, so Mercedes cut some corners and priced it accordingly. When Audi and BMW entered the market with their own crossovers, they had to price them lower than they might have otherwise to be competitive with the Mercedes. Later all three brands added smaller crossovers, and these had to be priced below the larger ones, repeating the pattern.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,458 times
Forget about the Allroad. I took a test drive in it with my co-worker a couple months ago and while it looks as big as a Venza or even an Outback, the passenger & cargo areas are as small as the A4 sedan (or tinier). In fact, you lose a lot of trunk space because of the crossover suspension which intrudes into the back. And it feels claustrophobic, especially with the black leather & surfacing.

My friend ended-up with an X3 because BMW leases were super competitive at the end of the year. You might also want to take a look at the X1, Acura RDX, VW Tiguan, VW Jetta Wagon (especially TDI diesel) and Highlander. I intentionally skipped the Forester because the interior looks dated & low-rent imho. If you can stretch your budget you might want to consider the 328 Wagon coming to dealer lots this summer... you're looking at a bottom line price of $45~48k though.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 PM

18 posts, read 61,872 times
I do agree with you guys that the Allroad and the A4 Avant are attractive looking cars, but I'm not really into station wagons. Drove one for a lot of my teenaged years, so I'm kind of past that.

I have looked at the BMW X1 and X3. I like both, but I'm dissuaded by the reliability of BMW. I know that Audi isn't all that hot in the reliability department, but it's better in comparison to BMW. Part of me says I should be looking at Japanese cars, but I much prefer the designs and styling of the German cars.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian19 View Post
I'm currently in the market for a new car and based on numbers, I've come down to two options: Audi A4 sedan with the quattro AWD or the Audi Q5 hybrid.

I love the looks and features of both cars, but I'm really torn. I'm drawn to the Q5 because of the cargo space and fantastic fuel economy that the hybrid drivetrain offers, but I have a hard time convincing myself that an SUV isn't a complete waste. I like the A4 a lot because it's going to be cheaper to purchase than the Q5 and I'm more used to driving a sedan than something higher up, but the lower fuel economy and the small trunk dissuade me.

Any opinions out there that may help me decide? Possibly any other car suggestions?
Funny, I have an A4 and my wife is turning in her mini in a couple weeks and I'm trying to convince her to get an Q5 since we plan on trying to have a shorty soon. Personally, I think, unless you have kids, plan to have them or really need the space due to an active cargo-oriented lifestyle, then I'd go with the A4 maybe the S4 if you want some fun. Otherwise getting the Q5 wouldn't be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive