Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:34 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
A couple weeks back I passed a woman in a new (still had the temp paper plates) Escalade who was texting. She was driving somewhat erratically which is why I passed her. Not 20 seconds later, in my rear view mirror, I see her drift left across the lanes and hit the concrete barricades. She bounced off, hit it again, bounced a little bit, and came to rest against the wall. It looked like a magnet was pulling her into the wall during the accident as she hit, bounced away, hit again, bounced a way, and hit one last time. Insane crazy woman! Glad I got out of her way, she could have killed someone.
With drivers like that I would drop back (way back) I don't want them behind me. Not much you can do if you are about to get slammed from the rear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I would love to find an area where I wasn't so dependent on a vehicle. I just could never find in this country an affordable area, where the climate and COL were both appealing. Every place where one could limit there driving is in an expensive Metro in the North, the upper Midwest, or the Northwest. Or in parts of Calif where the COL is prohibitive. You just can't seem to win in the sunbelt areas on this issue anyway. They just don't seem to care and have a ton of excuses why they are so auto dependent. It gets old listening to them,with millions moving into the sunbelt regions of America. Any plans they do have are years and years from completion. If and ever they move forward with these so called plans

I find driving beyond stressful, mainly due to the type of drivers in this day and age. That and the lack of other options to get from point A to B. Such as I have found Metro Phoenix to be. This is an example of how not to build a massive size Metro. Sprawling and lacking in enough intelligence and caring to have dealth with this mess decades ago. Another example of arrogant and controlling politics, and the effect it has on an area. Very limited transit options covering much to small an area of the Metro. Leaving one suburb after another with nothing or very little even bus service.

Yes pay attention on the roads and that doesn't always do it. There are way to many people that have no business behind the wheel. I really wish states would crack down on people like never before in our history. If your doing anything but driving. Talking on the phone, reading, putting on makeup, and especially texting. Then I wish the fines were so high and enforced so strongly that people would wake up. I don't enjoy driving at all anymore and have no idea what people see in it in this day and age. Its one thing to get where your going in a timely fashion. However between the constant traffic tie ups, the abusive drivers on the road. Then its just to much. So I don't get what people see in it. I'd rather take a train or bus, if there was on in this suburb

Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
With drivers like that I would drop back (way back) I don't want them behind me. Not much you can do if you are about to get slammed from the rear.
I would much rather have them behind me where I can put distance between me and them. If they want to act like fools, do it behind me.

Why would you want them in front of you...that seems far more dangerous. If she's bouncing around like a pinball machine, I can put on some gas to get AWAY from that, not have it all play out in front of me and then get stuck behind the carnage.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I would much rather have them behind me where I can put distance between me and them. If they want to act like fools, do it behind me.

Why would you want them in front of you...that seems far more dangerous. If she's bouncing around like a pinball machine, I can put on some gas to get AWAY from that, not have it all play out in front of me and then get stuck behind the carnage.
I would rather have all the carnage in front of me . It would give me a chance to brake or swirve. I don't like being rearended.Been there Done that. The car that hit my truck was totaled.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post
I hate when people slow down to turn without signaling. I also hate when there's a suicide lane/shoulder yet they still turn from traffic.
What exactly does this mean?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:38 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I would rather have all the carnage in front of me . It would give me a chance to brake or swirve. I don't like being rearended.Been there Done that. The car that hit my truck was totaled.
So when you brake or swerve to avoid the idiot, you'll have idiot #2 plow into you because they weren't paying attention. I'd rather be in front if it's a multi lane road, behind if it's a single lane. I'm one of those that actually uses the mirrors for the purpose for which they were intended.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:26 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Texting is very dangerous and anyone doing it while driving is putting everyone near them at risk of having an accident because of it. Why dont the cops go after the texters with the same gusto as they do drunk drivers?
The last person I saw texting while driving was...a cop.

Actually, in most states there is already a law that covers texting while driving, it's [usually] called 'Negligent operation of a motor vehicle' and covers just about any situation in which something you are doing diverts your attention from [safely] guiding your multi-thousand pound hunk of metal down the road, from lighting up a smoke to drinking your coffee to shaving to putting on make-up to reading the newspaper to texting to getting a...nevermind that one...whatever. We don't need another 'law', we have too many already...we just need enforcement of existing laws where there is a clear danger to other people (as opposed to seat-belt laws which should be an individual choice, like riding a motorcycle which doesn't have a seat-belt, or sky-diving or mountain climbing or anything else where the individual chooses the amount of risk of personal injury he/she is willing to accept).

Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Some guy cut me off merging on the freeway even though he had his own lane, causing me and the cars behind me to slam on our breaks.

Mistakes happen, whatever.... but he actually threw his arms up at me like i did something wrong.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Some guy cut me off merging on the freeway even though he had his own lane, causing me and the cars behind me to slam on our breaks.

Mistakes happen, whatever.... but he actually threw his arms up at me like i did something wrong.

He was probably on drugs or boozed up. I bet a lot of four letter words, were uttered down that line of cars slamming on their brakes.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:39 PM

202 posts, read 532,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What exactly does this mean?
Suicide lane is when there's a center lane that goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive