Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:57 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times

Advertisements

This generation of mustang has been around for awhile. Plenty of used ones being bought and sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Your statement is a subjective opinion. Honestly, I've always had Chevy toys, but drove Ford trucks. I will never buy another GM product after the bankruptcy.

What I disagree with is the claim that Fords overhead cammed 4 valve is better than GM's pushrod newer Gen motors. However, that should probably be another thread?
It's pretty simple 4 valve engines breath better and without the stiffer valve springs required for the heavier valves in 2 valve engines and can run at higher sustained rpms.

The Ford Coyote also has a forged crank and rods and four bolt mains like a high revving engine should have.

GM will be switching to 4 cam engines one of these days just like they have in their v-6's.

I will not argue about the newer gen GM engines because I know they are great engines but just like every other manufacturer, eventually GM OHC engines will be the standard for the foreseeable future.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
Apparently the only rational conclusion to make from this data is that more Puerto Ricans bought new cars last year than Mexicans did

Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It's pretty simple 4 valve engines breath better and without the stiffer valve springs required for the heavier valves in 2 valve engines and can run at higher sustained rpms.

The Ford Coyote also has a forged crank and rods and four bolt mains like a high revving engine should have.

GM will be switching to 4 cam engines one of these days just like they have in their v-6's.

I will not argue about the newer gen GM engines because I know they are great engines but just like every other manufacturer, eventually GM OHC engines will be the standard for the foreseeable future.
I went from a 69 Z28 302 to a 2000 SS Camaro and was amazed at how the power was developed at a much lower rpm range. The 4 valve is capable of more air in, and higher rpm, but at a loss on the low end. They say torque in the first 60' is what wins races. It appears in what I've read the Ford is faster on top, and catches up. However, I noticed the mileage on the GM was better.

GM also deserves credit for the 24 hour LeMans wins with their design.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

Breath better? Head flow performance are not dependent on the number of valves. I could post the 4.6 3v, 4.6 4v, and 5.4 4v vs. LS6/2, LS3, 5.7 Eagle, 6.1Hemi and the newer design 2v out flow the older 3v/4v. Coyote 5.0 is just the newest rendition. Perhaps the forthcoming LT-1 from GM, a 2v, will address the issue.

Stiffer valvesprings are based more for lobe design-lift & valve weight.

Only the Boss 302 is internally forged. The standard 5.0 is not forged.

5.0 is a nice engine but just adapting age old hot rodding techniques to gain more power- Excellent flowing heads matched to an intake and exhaust, high compression and in this case VVT to create midrange power from the smaller cubes. Engine is physically rather large for what it is.

Last edited by Felix C; 01-30-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
I love the new Mustang, and think the Camaro is just OK.

Ironically I like the design of the 60's Camaro more than the 60's Mustang.

Eh...

Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
Well, I'll just speak as an owner of a 2011 Camaro 1SS. I've had my ride for about 18 months now and still love it. Not doubt the looks of it are very love it or hate it. But I get compliments on it all the time, and its from a very diverse set of people (young, old, male/female, etc.) I will say in my area, I have seen a dramatic uptick in Camaro's in the past 6-8 months.

I have nothing against the Mustang and was at one point strongly considering getting one. When I mentioned this to some guys I worked with, they all kind of ribbed me for looking at a "sorority girl car." Mustangs are indeed pretty ubiquitous, though. And I'll admit that me wanting a more unique care did weigh in my decision. Of course, if the Mustang weren't as successful as it was, I doubt GM would have decided to bring them to market post-bankruptcy.

I fully expect once the redesigned Mustang hits the showrooms, it will likely surpass the Camaro. Competition is a good thing for both models (and whatever Dodge is putting out there).

Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Thank goodness the Thunderbird kept up with the Vette though? GM sells more sports cars!
when the Tbird was a two seater in the 50s, it outsold the corvette, but ford knew what they were doing when they changed the Tbird to a four seat design as sales really took off then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why does Ford have nothing to compete with Corvette? (Not counting the super rare GT).
shelby GT500? if ford were to make an affordable sports car like the corvette, it would cut into mustang and shelby sales, thus ford wont build a corvette type sports car.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:27 PM
PDD

[quote=MrWillys;28014696]I went from a 69 Z28 302 to a 2000 SS Camaro and was amazed at how the power was developed at a much lower rpm range. The 4 valve is capable of more air in, and higher rpm, but at a loss on the low end. They say torque in the first 60' is what wins races. It appears in what I've read the Ford is faster on top, and catches up. However, I noticed the mileage on the GM was better.

The mustang get 26 MPG on the highway.
The Mustang has this device called a torque multiplier and it evens out the advantage of the bigger cube Camaro.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Breath better? Head flow performance are not dependent on the number of valves. I could post the 4.6 3v, 4.6 4v, and 5.4 4v vs. LS6/2, LS3, 5.7 Eagle, 6.1Hemi and the newer design 2v out flow the older 3v/4v. Coyote 5.0 is just the newest rendition. Perhaps the forthcoming LT-1 from GM, a 2v, will address the issue.

Stiffer valvesprings are based more for lobe design-lift & valve weight.

Only the Boss 302 is internally forged. The standard 5.0 is not forged.

5.0 is a nice engine but just adapting age old hot rodding techniques to gain more power- Excellent flowing heads matched to an intake and exhaust, high compression and in this case VVT to create midrange power from the smaller cubes. Engine is physically rather large for what it is.
The Coyote in not the old 4.6 with new 4 valve heads it is a new engine entirely but does share some dimensions with the 4.6.
The Coyote does not have forged pistons like the Boss but the crank and rods are forged.

Everything you need to know when you talk about the Coyote engine,

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive