Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
A zipper merge should (BEGIN TO) take place at the time where the signs are posted
(and TELL PEOPLE) that the lanes are merging ahead.
Then, because everyone know that it will take some distance and a little COURTESY and cooperation
to complete... be willing, even enthusiastic, to cooperate and be courteous to others. It works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Maybe its time to move the signaling switch onto the steering wheel and while we're there move the headlight switch there too. Its not like I have multiple buttons there already. There's always room for a few more.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Then, because everyone know that it will take some distance and a little COURTESY and cooperation
to complete... be willing, even enthusiastic, to cooperate and be courteous to others. It works.
Im not sure why I was quoted, did I say something wrong? I have no problem allowing the every other car to "zipper merge" in those instances. Thats what is supposed to happen. I was agreeing that zipper merges do work however the people that try to go around the zipper merge to get further ahead are the ones creating the problems.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
If I need to get over I do three things.

1. Look in the right mirror or left and see if there is ample room to get over. If there is not, I will chill until there is ample room. I plan ahead, which everyone should so waiting an extra 15 seconds for the car to go by me doesn't matter.

2. If there is room for me to get over, I look in my blind spot.

3. If there is noone in the right or left mirror and noone in my blindspot I turn on the turn signal and get over.

If I can't get over I don't even bother with the signal until I have room to do so. I'm perfectly fine with waiting if possible. If there is a lot of traffice, then yes I will turn the turn signal on for awhile until someone let's me over.

Now if I'm drivng and some guy turns his turn signal on and he isn't even going faster than me, then I'm not going to slow down for this person. I always go 5 miles over the speed limit, not more though. So it makes no sense for a 67 mpher to get in front of me and I will be on his bumper or I have to then pass him if I'm going 70mph.

Just because you have it on doesn't mean "********* buddy, I'm getting over". It means "hey, I need over at some point...before or after you have passed".

Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
If they speed up so you cant get in it means there wasnt enough room for you to merge in the first place. Just because you signal does not mean there is ample room for you to merge and it does not give you the right to get in front of anyone.

UM.....no, I have had people STOMP on the gas when I signal......and they are almost 1/2 block back.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66
If they speed up so you cant get in it means there wasnt enough room for you to merge in the first place. Just because you signal does not mean there is ample room for you to merge and it does not give you the right to get in front of anyone.
Yeah, I had this happen too many, many times! I had this happen 3 days ago...on a 6 lane road...this guy was way back and as soon as I turned my signal on to move over the lane I needed to be in, all of the sudden he sped up and did not let me change lanes...no one else on the road either...so, not like I was impeding everyone else, there was PLENTY of room for me to switch lanes.
Quote:
UM.....no, I have had people STOMP on the gas when I signal......and they are almost 1/2 block back.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
If they're able to speed up enough to block you, then you weren't far enough ahead. Otherwise, they would not be able to get close enough to block you. At least that's what I think the other poster meant.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
There were 4 car lengths in between, and that driver was driving a sports car. I drive a crossover, and was doing 50mph in a 50pmh zone. So we were not on some speedway. He/she was a flat out jerk. It ended up he/she took the same road I did and he/she tailgated the person in front of them for 19 miles!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I blinkered every time I turned or changed lanes today. Even when I left my driveway and no other cars were within 2 miles. OP would be proud!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
There were 4 car lengths in between, and that driver was driving a sports car. I drive a crossover, and was doing 50mph in a 50pmh zone. So we were not on some speedway. He/she was a flat out jerk. It ended up he/she took the same road I did and he/she tailgated the person in front of them for 19 miles!
Was the car that wouldnt let you merge going faster than 50mph? If so perhaps they did not want to be stuck behind someone going 50mph. Also, if there were 4 car lengths in between how come it too so long from the time you put your blinker on until the time you thought about merging? If you made sure you had a clear path, you should then put your blinker on and then begin to merge over as soon as you know the path is clear. If they had time to speed up 4 car lengths you probably put your blinker on too soon and unknowingly allowed that too happen. I guess you could look at it as even though you thought they were a jerk for not letting you merge at least you werent the one being tailgated for 19 miles. Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive