U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 11:03 PM

986 posts, read 3,278,208 times

Advertisements

Both cars are great; they drive nicely, powerful enough and mostly economical, and also have reasonable prices and nice features, plus the CX-5 is nearly/basically a class leader already. I'd probably choose the CX-5 (after two test drives done and some research).

I know I'll be stoned and shouted at for saying that....hehehe...but what about the new Cherokee? It could be a worthy option? Looks interesting inside, and very nice and with loads of features and technology. Also not bad engines, including a V6 Pentastar available. Just outside...aye...why they did the backside of the car like that and them did a whole different thing on the front? There's definitely some Fiat touches and silliness there (after all it's based on a Dart and loosely based on a Fiat/Alfa-Romeo)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 PM

3,968 posts, read 4,396,818 times
Mazdaspeed doesn't make a vehicle model based on anything. There has only been four official Mazdaspeed vehicles and I'm fine with not letting an SUV join the list.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:15 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
Whoa...that would be awesome...imagine that
Truth is, it's not that far-fetched. The CX-5 has to compete with the likes of the Ford Escape (2.0T available), Subaru Forester (2.0T available), Volkswagen Tiguan (2.0T standard), Hyundai Santa Fe/Kia Sportage (2.0T available).

To be honest, Mazda needs something like a Mazdaspeed CX-5 to be segment-competitive. It's not strictly necessary to call it a Mazdaspeed but the fact is they're already behind the curve in the hopped-up mini-CUV segment.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 PM

^^More like Tuscon than Santa Fe, though the Santa Fe sport is pretty close in size too.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:56 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,498,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Truth is, it's not that far-fetched. The CX-5 has to compete with the likes of the Ford Escape (2.0T available), Subaru Forester (2.0T available), Volkswagen Tiguan (2.0T standard), Hyundai Santa Fe/Kia Sportage (2.0T available).

To be honest, Mazda needs something like a Mazdaspeed CX-5 to be segment-competitive. It's not strictly necessary to call it a Mazdaspeed but the fact is they're already behind the curve in the hopped-up mini-CUV segment.
The rumor mill was buzzing about a turbo option, because the now defunct CX-7 had one. However, it looks like the next most likely engine for the CX-5 is going to be the 2.2 diesel that will most likely debut sometime in the future on the new Mazda6.

Instead of competing on power, they can simply crush the others by offering the best MPG. Euro-spec Mazda6's with the 2.2 diesel are over 55mpg (US) on the highway. The CX-5 with the same motor is being touted as capable of around 50mpg (US). A 50mpg CUV, even if the rest of it was crappy (which the CX-5 certianly isn't) has the potential to be a huge market success. Power levels and performance are also stated to match or exceed the older turbo options.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,282,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awolowa View Post
Hi,

I've owned the 2013 CX-5 for a month or so now, and I really wish I had considered the 2014 Forester. When I was test driving, it didn't exist yet, and I wasn't thrilled with the 2013 Foresters transmission.

But all that is changed. The 2014 Forester now has an updated transmission, and it's fuel economy is about the same as the CX-5.

What I don't like about my CX-5 is that the motor is very noisy. It sounds like chirping birds or some kind of weird frequency. Visibility is also pretty bad, and it's a good idea to get the blind spot monitors to help you out. I didn't.

However, CX-5 is fun to drive, and on long highway drives, I think it's going to be hard to beat.

But... seeing as I have serious commitment issues, I guess I'm doomed to contemplate the greener grass... The 2014 Forester would be my pick in hindsight. If only for the supposed resale and unmatched AWD.

I'll learn to love the CX-5.
The 2014 CX-5 with the larger 2.5 motor is very quiet, very smooth. Nice power and the auto transmission shifts smoothly. The 2014 touring and grand touring come with blind spot monitor standard, as well as backup camera.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The rumor mill was buzzing about a turbo option, because the now defunct CX-7 had one. However, it looks like the next most likely engine for the CX-5 is going to be the 2.2 diesel that will most likely debut sometime in the future on the new Mazda6.

Instead of competing on power, they can simply crush the others by offering the best MPG. Euro-spec Mazda6's with the 2.2 diesel are over 55mpg (US) on the highway. The CX-5 with the same motor is being touted as capable of around 50mpg (US). A 50mpg CUV, even if the rest of it was crappy (which the CX-5 certianly isn't) has the potential to be a huge market success. Power levels and performance are also stated to match or exceed the older turbo options.
Well paint me skeptical about that 55mpg claim. European-cycle fuel economy ratings are about as realistic as pre-2008 EPA ratings, maybe even less so. And while I think there's definitely a market for a diesel version if they can bring it in at a reasonable price point, it certainly wouldn't compete performance-wise with a gasser turbo. I think there's room for both in the market, but 4 engine options may be a bit much. That said I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2.0 get dropped with the 2.5 getting nearly identical fuel economy.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:04 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,171,628 times
I was facing the same choice between the forester and cx5. My best friend has the 2012 forester so I have spent some time in the subaru. My brother also has an older subaru outback and loves it. I was leaning towards the subu until we went camping last weekend and my best friends subaru had some random plastic piece pop off the rear cargo area. When I said that was weird my friend told me it wasn't the first interior plastic piece to break off. A part on the middle rear seatbelt broke off and so did grab bar.

Seems like a little thing but its actually what pushed me once and for all to the mazda (besides the more fun to drive part). So far I am very happy with the mazda.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 PM

494 posts, read 1,532,914 times
I've driven the CX-5 2.5 and although it's fun to drive for sure it's quite underpowered for it's weight even with the 185hp. 0-60 is 9.5 seconds I believe as opposed to the Forester 2.0XT's very quick 6.2 seconds!!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 PM

26,886 posts, read 38,133,169 times
Believe it or not the amount of power a vehicle has isn't the end-all for everyone. A friend bought the 2013 CX5 and we went to an arboretum Saturday. He drove. I didn't notice him having any problems getting up to speed on the Interstate or freeway and had no problems passing.

I doubt it will do well in a drag race but that's not it's intended purpose.

I test drove one earlier this year and didn't find getting onto the Interstate to be a problem and I had to change lanes and floor it because I was behind an old lady who was not going to go over 50 for anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive