U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 PM

494 posts, read 1,537,154 times

Advertisements

The CX-5 has an extremely outdated tech stack and the Navigation system is a relic. I also found significant road noise at 80mph and fit and finish were off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 PM

26,972 posts, read 38,227,364 times
And we found none of the above.

Are you sure it was a CX-5? Or are you one of those who has to be right every time a subject comes up? You jumped from underpowered to a list of things in two easy posts. Makes me wonder...

Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 PM

15,795 posts, read 13,220,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
I've driven the CX-5 2.5 and although it's fun to drive for sure it's quite underpowered for it's weight even with the 185hp. 0-60 is 9.5 seconds I believe as opposed to the Forester 2.0XT's very quick 6.2 seconds!!
Its 7.2 for the 2014 CX-5

2014 Mazda CX-5 with 2.5-liter Skyactiv engine Quick Spin

And your comparing a non-turbo to a turbo. Its apples to oranges.

For the non-turbo its actually in the Mazda's favor.

2013 Subaru Forester Overview

Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 PM

15,795 posts, read 13,220,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
The CX-5 has an extremely outdated tech stack and the Navigation system is a relic. I also found significant road noise at 80mph and fit and finish were off
I am over 600 miles, so well broken in. All highway miles, all typically about 85 mph there was no more significant road noise than the forester.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:14 PM

26,972 posts, read 38,227,364 times
Assumption confirmed. Thank you.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 PM

6,888 posts, read 7,097,068 times
I test drove the 2014 Mazda CX-5 today. Liked the car - lots of "zoom zoom" and love that red. My only problem is that there seems to be so much plastic inside. The area that really bothered me is attached to the arm rest on the doors. For those of you that have purchased this car, does this bother you? I've heard many say this has become common on the new cars but it really does look cheap.

I plan to test drive the Forester on Friday and will check out the interior - I like the exterior of the Mazda more than the Subi.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:13 PM

20,199 posts, read 34,559,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I test drove the 2014 Mazda CX-5 today. Liked the car - lots of "zoom zoom" and love that red. My only problem is that there seems to be so much plastic inside. The area that really bothered me is attached to the arm rest on the doors. For those of you that have purchased this car, does this bother you? I've heard many say this has become common on the new cars but it really does look cheap.

I plan to test drive the Forester on Friday and will check out the interior - I like the exterior of the Mazda more than the Subi.
Subaru will likely have a lower depreciation rate and higher residual value than the Mazda. Subaru AWD is gold in the Snowbelt and I haven't lost anything on my investment on the 2004 I bought two years ago. In fact, I could probably sell it for more than I paid for it as they are in high demand in my local area.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:44 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,448,213 times
Quote:

I bought a 2014 CX-5 in early August. I wanted a car with better gas mileage than my 2006 Ford Mustang GT, that I now drive on weekends only. I love my CX-5! I was comparing it with the Tucson, Honda CRV, and Toyota RAV-4 and picked it because of the better MPG, liked the look better, and the price was better for what you get. Love the safety features, I have the "Touring" model, so have the back-up camera, the side "beeps" if cars are in my blind spot. It is plenty of power for me, but 185 horse power is quite different from my 360 horse power Mustang. I am averaging 36 miles per gallon when I do freeway trips, and 31 miles per gallon around town. Better than they advertise.

The plastic does not bother me. I chose Crystal White Pearl, but agree with you, the red color is awesome. All the Mazda colors are really nice. If you have more questions you can direct message me, if you want. I don't always check posts. I work long days and sometimes forget to check.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:01 AM

6,888 posts, read 7,097,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
I bought a 2014 CX-5 in early August. I wanted a car with better gas mileage than my 2006 Ford Mustang GT, that I now drive on weekends only. I love my CX-5! I was comparing it with the Tucson, Honda CRV, and Toyota RAV-4 and picked it because of the better MPG, liked the look better, and the price was better for what you get. Love the safety features, I have the "Touring" model, so have the back-up camera, the side "beeps" if cars are in my blind spot. It is plenty of power for me, but 185 horse power is quite different from my 360 horse power Mustang. I am averaging 36 miles per gallon when I do freeway trips, and 31 miles per gallon around town. Better than they advertise.

The plastic does not bother me. I chose Crystal White Pearl, but agree with you, the red color is awesome. All the Mazda colors are really nice. If you have more questions you can direct message me, if you want. I don't always check posts. I work long days and sometimes forget to check.
Thanks for responding - I love to hear good things about the CX-5 because I really like the styling of it the best. The shadowing on the sides is what caught my interest. The white is gorgeous also, especially at night.

Good luck with your new auto

Old 10-17-2013, 05:11 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,939,542 times
Quote:

Yo, 'sup Umbria. call me biased yet conflicted because I'm both a Mazda fanboi and a Subaru fanboi. I've owned both and I've loved both. In fact I have a Mazda in my driveway right now and I wish there were a Subaru right next to it.

I've found the Autoguide comparison of crossover compacts (Youtube found below) to be pretty informative and particularly relevant to your inquiry because your two selections both make their final cut. Out of eight initial competitors, they eliminated five from final contention: Jeep Compass, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-V, and Chevy Equinox. The remaining three are your final two (Mazda CX-5 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring) plus the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport.

The review video is below, cropped to the relevant final three. Feel free to slide the video counter back to see the reviews of the other 5 irrelevant competitors.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive