Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:37 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

This is just a thought. I know a four-banger in a car like a Mustang seems incredibly lame, but engine technology has come a long way and there are some four cylinder engines out there that can give some bigger engines a run for the money. Ford already makes a 2.0 that rates at 240hp that could be a very economic option for buyers who like the styling of the car but do not want a V8 or even Ford's 300hp+ V6. Combine this with the government continually ratcheting down on mileage standards, a small economic engine in a popular car like the Mustang could help bring Ford's MPG averages up.

So what do you think? Is it something that Ford should consider? Or would it be a set back as Ford continues to restore the credibility of the Mustang's legacy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM

202 posts, read 532,323 times
There was an I4 turbo mustang in the 80s....

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
It's happened before (Mustang SVO) and it can possibly happen again.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Yeah, I remember the SVO, and Ford even had a base model 4 for a long time in the 70s and 80s as well. The SVO was a bit more souped up. With the Ecoboost series of engines, they could put a base 4 in the car, which isn't that big to begin with, and still have a car that is worthwhile to drive. Of course, I personally would rather have a V8 if I were in the market for a new Mustang, but I'm sure a smaller and more economic motor would appeal to a lot of buyers.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
It's hard to make an inline 4 much over about 2.5 liters without getting into NVH (Noise, Vibration, and Harshness) issues. For fuel economy, there is nothing wrong with a V-8, even a rather large one, if it will run well at low RPM and the driveline features a tall enough high (probably 6th in this case) gear. Look at the last few years worth of Corvettes. For that matter, I think most Mustangs the last few years are quite OK in terms of economy, if you can keep your foot out of it.

On and off Ford has put a V-6 in the base Mustang, I rented one a few years ago, it was OK in terms of power.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:55 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Yeah, I remember the SVO, and Ford even had a base model 4 for a long time in the 70s and 80s as well. The SVO was a bit more souped up. With the Ecoboost series of engines, they could put a base 4 in the car, which isn't that big to begin with, and still have a car that is worthwhile to drive. Of course, I personally would rather have a V8 if I were in the market for a new Mustang, but I'm sure a smaller and more economic motor would appeal to a lot of buyers.
the V6 gets 31 MPG and puts out over 300HP stock and is a great Bang for the buck as is IMO so I do not see the need to go down to a 4-Banger in the Mustang.

If you want Mustang Performance in a 4-Banger "hot hatch" they have the Ford Focus ST 2.0 turbo to fill the niche also.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the V6 gets 31 MPG and puts out over 300HP stock and is a great Bang for the buck as is IMO so I do not see the need to go down to a 4-Banger in the Mustang.

If you want Mustang Performance in a 4-Banger "hot hatch" they have the Ford Focus ST 2.0 turbo to fill the niche also.
Too bad the Focus ST is wrong-wheel drive.

I don't think the Ecoboost 4 has enough oomph to move a car this big with enough authority to make it worth the while and still get decent fuel economy. I agree the 6-cylinder option does that very well, pretty much for the first time in the car's entire history. And there's still some room for improvement in the V6, such as direct injection or dropping the turbo 6 in there (the latter not very likely but it would be a nice combo if you ask me).

Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Too bad the Focus ST is wrong-wheel drive.

I don't think the Ecoboost 4 has enough oomph to move a car this big with enough authority to make it worth the while and still get decent fuel economy. I agree the 6-cylinder option does that very well, pretty much for the first time in the car's entire history. And there's still some room for improvement in the V6, such as direct injection or dropping the turbo 6 in there (the latter not very likely but it would be a nice combo if you ask me).
I wish Ford would come up with a production North American marketed AWD Ford Focus to go up against the North American versions of the Subaru Impreza WRX and STI.

That would be a huge hit for Ford IMO.. Then again us Canadians and Americans do get the Mustang GT with the 5.0 Coyote V-8 but hey why can't we have our cake and eat it too

Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
With Ford killing off the GT, the Mustang is their only sports/muscle car. It would hurt the image they are trying to create to put a 4 banger into it. As others have said, the Focus is their sporty car with the smaller engine.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I wish Ford would come up with a production North American marketed AWD Ford Focus to go up against the North American versions of the Subaru Impreza WRX and STI.

That would be a huge hit for Ford IMO.. Then again us Canadians and Americans do get the Mustang GT with the 5.0 Coyote V-8 but hey why can't we have our cake and eat it too
They have the Focus RS but here's the thing. Some say that the reason why Ford refuses to go AWD with it is because they are scared to go toe to toe with the Impreza WRX STI and Lancer EVO because they know it would grouped right there with them (and rightfully so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln