Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
The days of guys being... well, handy, whether it's around a car or just being able to fix things, is pretty much long gone. Very few people know how to do stuff like this anymore, kudos to you OP for knowing it.

I'm going to try my best to teach my kids things like this, but if the youth of today is any indication, they probably won't care.
Sad but true. I replaced the engine and transmission in my 1963 Ranchero that I was restoring in the 90s, but alas, at my age now I don't do much more than an occasional brake job or oil change now. I have managed to get my son to do a view jobs on his vehicle when it needed work and he asked me to do it. No better way to learn than doing, as long as someone is there to guide you, that has the tools. That reminds me that tomorrow I have to install a new blower resister in my wife's car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Well it has 270,000 miles and this is precisely the third time its ever dumped me. One: alternator went out. Two: I left the dome light on in an airport parking garage for a week. Three: starter went kablooiy a couple of years ago.

I'd say that is not bad for an 18-year old vehicle that I have owned since new.
Of course it isn't bad. But to call your vehicle trustworthy in the same post you talk about it dying on you is a bit much.

I don't recall having a vehicle die on me in the last ten years. Although most of them probably don't fall on anyone's most trustworthy list.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
OK, whoopee for you. And your contribution was useful, helpful or interesting...how, again?
Well, it appears a lot of people are of the impression that Automatics cannot be push started, I was just (in an attempted humorous way) to say that it is possible, maybe not all of them and I've only ever done it once, but it can be done.

That being said, given the choice between an auto or a stick I tend to go for the stick every single time.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:08 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I bought my first stick when I was 21 ... only did it 'cause I was buying new, my budget was very tight, and sticks were quite a bit cheaper.

The first day, I thought I had made a HUGE mistake and I would NEVER learn to drive it ... I must have stalled out at least a dozen times.

By day two, no more stalls and I was loving it! Have bought a stick every time since. I still find them really fun to drive!

OP, I had no idea you could push-start a stick. I am going to do more reading on this!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:35 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
There is something else that I like about manual transmissions, specially on older vehicles that do not have stability control and ABS (like my 1988 Sierra 4x4): when driving on ice, even on 4x4, using the brakes can sometimes be a handful. Since I have a lot of experience driving manual, I slow down gradually and long before going into a skid with careful down-shifts, and coast to a stop when the light is turning red.

Also, towing a heavy load is quite handy with a stick-shift, and you don't have to worry about the transmission overheating like an automatic can do. On a steep downhill while towing, just set the transmission to a low gear that won't allow you to over speed before you start going down. Use the brakes just to stop if you have to. The motor and transmission will allow you to keep the brakes cool as long as you have shifted to the right gear for the grade.

And yes, you can choose a lower gear on an automatic transmission, too.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-17-2013 at 01:06 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
That push start capability is a big plus. I'm not surprised those young guys didn't know anything about it.
I'm not either. If they ever went to roll down the windows on a hand crank style window, they'd probably still spend 20 minutes trying to find the electric window switch.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:33 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
There is something else that I like about manual transmissions, specially on older vehicles that do not have stability control and ABS (like my 1988 Sierra 4x4): when driving on ice, even on 4x4, using the brakes can sometimes be a handful. Since I have a lot of experience driving manual, I slow down gradually and long before going into a skid with careful down-shifts, and coast to a stop when the light is turning red.

Also, towing a heavy load is quite handy with a stick-shift, and you don't have to worry about the transmission overheating like an automatic can do. On a steep downhill while towing, just set the transmission to a low gear that won't allow you to over speed before you start going down. Use the brakes just to stop if you have to. The motor and transmission will allow you to keep the brakes cool as long as you have shifted to the right gear for the grade.

And yes, you can choose a lower gear on an automatic transmission, too.
I do that with my cars, too (which have an automatic transmission). With the cars I have driven, the transmission can be manually downshifted (and upshifted).

Also for those who tow a heavy load with a car using an automatic, a transmission cooler is a good thing to have. My brother put one of those on his '66 Plymouth Fury.

Keeping on the same subject, I found this article in the Oct., 1970 issue of Motor Trend...

1971 Oldsmobile 4-4-2

---------------------- Stick-------------- Automatic

Engine---------------- 455-cu-in W-30--- 455-cu-in W30
Horsepower----------- N.A.-------------- N.A. (early in the production year, but it should be 360 gross hp)
Transmission---------- 4-speed manual--- 3-speed automatic
Axle ratio------------- 3.42:1------------ 3.42:1
Tires----------------- G70x14----------- G70x14

0-30 mph------------ 3.1 secs----------- 2.5 secs
0-45 mph------------ 4.5---------------- 4.1
0-60 mph------------ 6.6---------------- 6.1
0-75----------------- 9.4--------------- 9.0

1/4 mile-------------- 14.7@97 mph----- 14.4@97 mph
Passing:40-60 mph--- 2.9--------------- 3.1
------- 50-70 mph--- 3.3--------------- 3.4

Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well, it appears a lot of people are of the impression that Automatics cannot be push started, I was just (in an attempted humorous way) to say that it is possible, maybe not all of them and I've only ever done it once, but it can be done.

That being said, given the choice between an auto or a stick I tend to go for the stick every single time.
Sorry for misunderstanding....and I'll admit I did not know that an automatic could be push started! (How?)

Old 02-17-2013, 08:39 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Sorry for misunderstanding....and I'll admit I did not know that an automatic could be push started! (How?)
Extremely few automatics can be roll started. I wouldn't consider it to be an option unless it is known for a fact that a particular auto tranny is capable of that.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:45 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
We just push started my friend's far last night. We were waiting around at a gas station, meeting up with some other friends. The rest of us had parked, and she pulls up. Turns off the car, but leaves headlights / radio on. Didn't take long. She had no idea you could do that! I tell her to put it in second, and hold the clutch in. A friend and I roll it a bit, then I tell her to pop off the clutch. Car fires right up.

Gotta love manual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive