U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,366,788 times

Advertisements

So today I drove my ancient, trusty Nissan truck to work and on the way home stopped at a convenience store. Getting back in the truck and turning the key....crap, won't start. I called several friends for help/moral support but couldn't get hold of anyone. I looked under the hood but saw nothing obviously loose or wrong-looking...and that's the extent of my automotive know-how.

So there I was, ten miles from home, stuck in a strip mall parking lot with a dead truck. Then it occurred to me, hey wait, it's a five-speed, it can be push-started! I went back into the store and pulled the damsel in distress card looking for a couple of people to push the truck. The 20-something clerk was utterly confused by the concept, as was the 20-something stock guy. But he and another customer agreed to push me while I popped the clutch...the truck started and I got home. And those guys were fairly gobsmacked that such a thing was even possible, which was pretty funny.

Had I been in my van or some other slushbox, it would have been a tedious and expensive ordeal getting it towed...Saturday afternoon so many mechanics and auto shops are closed. I probably would have spent over $100 having it towed to my regular mechanic and he's not there until Monday morning.

I <3 manual transmission vehicles and always have, on so many levels. I know I'm a bit of an anachronism and I also know that modern automatics can be superior to stick shifts but dammit, I would take a manual trans over a slushbox every time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 PM

30,829 posts, read 16,723,282 times
That push start capability is a big plus. I'm not surprised those young guys didn't know anything about it.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM

17,579 posts, read 37,483,556 times
I don't think trusty means what you think it means.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:28 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,588,222 times
I still prefer automatics personally but won't deny manuals have their advantages. Back when I had a jeep I ran out of gas a couple hundred yards from the gas station on a busy road. I walked it in first gear by the starter right up to the gas pump. After filling up the battery had just enough juice to get the little 4-banger fired up.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 19,073,819 times
I had the same thought this morning when my seldom-driven F150 was dead in the driveway. Pulled out an extension cord and charger/starter, connected it, and went back in to deposit a couple checks via phone app. Truck started right up 5 minutes later, as it always has. I did make sure I had jumper cables with me, but with this truck it's never been an issue. Once it starts it will charge in a few minutes and stay that way if I drive it at least every couple of weeks.

The 6 speed in my GTO has saved me a couple times when I had a charging problem a couple years ago. It will roll start after moving less than the width of a parking spot.

6,191 posts, read 14,366,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't think trusty means what you think it means.
Well it has 270,000 miles and this is precisely the third time its ever dumped me. One: alternator went out. Two: I left the dome light on in an airport parking garage for a week. Three: starter went kablooiy a couple of years ago.

I'd say that is not bad for an 18-year old vehicle that I have owned since new.

11,269 posts, read 12,095,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I still prefer automatics personally but won't deny manuals have their advantages. Back when I had a jeep I ran out of gas a couple hundred yards from the gas station on a busy road. I walked it in first gear by the starter right up to the gas pump. After filling up the battery had just enough juice to get the little 4-banger fired up.

Gotta love Jeeps! About a week after I got my YJ, I couldn't get into gear with the engine running. Turned out the slave cyliner was ****ed and I had pushed out all my clutch fluid in the week since I bought it. Well, I had to get home, so I put her in 2nd, and turned the crank! I had to keep it in 2nd too. That was about a 5 mile trip thru back streets and running stop signs lol

Old 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,170,800 times
If your trans goes on an automatic, you are stuck.
If your clutch goes on stick, you can still drive. It is very easy to drive without using the clutch. If you do have to stop, just turn the car off at the light, and when the light turns green, use the starter to get it rolling. The car will buck and protest, but you will get rolling. I dont drive often, but when I do, its a stick.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM

21,768 posts, read 26,046,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
If your trans goes on an automatic, you are stuck.
If your clutch goes on stick, you can still drive. It is very easy to drive without using the clutch. If you do have to stop, just turn the car off at the light, and when the light turns green, use the starter to get it rolling. The car will buck and protest, but you will get rolling. I dont drive often, but when I do, its a stick.
Not necessarily. Many times when an automatic transmission is failing or about to fail, it slips, but it can still be driven.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:05 PM

1,506 posts, read 3,090,012 times
Yeah I know push starting is the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or