U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 06:17 PM

3,028 posts, read 1,524,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
May be a little extreme but I've seen -40 and +100 in Idaho, Utah, Eastern Washington, Minnesota.
Must have been there for awhile. Here are the coldest temps ever recorded. Some are hard for me to believe.: https://weather.com/news/climate/new...rded-50-states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 06:27 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,079,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Sounds to me like you are abusing the system at everyones expense. Either you are a monster or fishing.
Everything is computerized now. Name, credit card, etc. If one uses cash might be able to "work" the system.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:53 PM

140 posts, read 56,333 times
It seems to me that local auto stores would stock batteries that are suitable for the conditions in which their customers live?

Old 01-09-2019, 07:12 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,079,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
But each manufacture has different requirements. I like the NAPA brand myself. No way would opitma get my money today. They sold out and went cheap.
If the CCA is the same. The battery size is the same. The case is the same. Then the only difference is the label put on the same batteries. And of course - the price.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 AM

1,868 posts, read 784,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
In extreme temperatures, hot or cold, reduce the battery's life. In the interior of Alaska does get far below -40 degrees sometimes, but we use a battery warmer (115 VAC 25 to 35-Watt blanket or pad) in our automobiles. The average life span of a battery over here is from three to four years.
When I lived in Fairbanks during college my Land Cruiser had a battery heater, a block heater, and a transmission heater (it was a stick). All plugged into a power strip mounted under the hood. If plugged in, that thing would start and drive no matter what the temp. Still does, as I still have it.

Unleaded fuel's flash point is -41 to -50F, depending on the additives. Below that, if not heated, it will not burn and the car will not start. A warm engine or a sunny day is enough to fix that problem.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Must have been there for awhile. Here are the coldest temps ever recorded. Some are hard for me to believe.: https://weather.com/news/climate/new...rded-50-states
I'm not exactly in my 40's. Things were different before climate change screwed everything up.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:17 AM

3,028 posts, read 1,524,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I'm not exactly in my 40's. Things were different before climate change screwed everything up.
Glad you brought that up. I'm 60 and live in the second coldest region of Colorado and have lived by the area that OP mentions as having "-40F" weather. It never dropped below -25F while I was there.

The coldest temperature that I have seen in my entire life is -30F. "I've seen -40 and +100 in Idaho, Utah, Eastern Washington, Minnesota." Ah well, it is 2019. Spin is more important than facts.

We had global cooling in the 70's. The climate? Yes-it changes.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Glad you brought that up. I'm 60 and live in the second coldest region of Colorado and have lived by the area that OP mentions as having "-40F" weather. It never dropped below -25F while I was there.

The coldest temperature that I have seen in my entire life is -30F. "I've seen -40 and +100 in Idaho, Utah, Eastern Washington, Minnesota." Ah well, it is 2019. Spin is more important than facts.

We had global cooling in the 70's. The climate? Yes-it changes.
Well, since we're getting specific. I've seen -55F actual while sitting next to the National Weather Service monitor at Snowbank Lake, MN, in 1997. I've seen -40 at my cabin in Island Park, ID several times in the 1980s and 1990's. I saw -40 at my buddies cabin in the Uintas of Utah, again in the 1980s. And I've seen at least minus 40s (the thermometer didn't go lower than -40) at my brother's house in Winthrop, WA back in the 70s. So, yeah, it happens.

When I was younger a buddy and I would regularly take 10 day long winter backcountry trips in northern Minnesota and Alaska. We camped plenty of nights at -40, with daily highs in the minus 20-25 range.

Those days have passed. It's a rare day these days where Alaska or any other spot gets an actual temperature that low. Wind chills, sure, but not real temps.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:50 PM

25,279 posts, read 60,641,117 times
Most wet cell batteries are made by one of two companies. Both make good batteries. As far as which brand to choose? With equal CCA pick the one you think looks the prettiest. They are pretty much the same.

AGM batteries cost a bit more but are better at handling cold weather and will generally perform better. Plus they are lighter, do not leak acid and do not need topping off.

Gel batteries are supposed to be better in extreme heat. I am not sure whether anyone currently makes gel batteries for cars. AGM batteries outperform gel and usually cost less and last longer.

Some advertising and some technicians confuse AGM and gel batteries. They are not the same.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:21 PM

9,268 posts, read 16,801,284 times
I live 100+ miles straight west of Rapid City -- higher elevation so slightly cooler (couple degrees) summer and winter. In 50 years here I've never seen it colder than -33F nor hotter than 104F.

The coldest day was on Christmas Eve morning, and we (family) were planning to fly my private plane back to Iowa for Christmas. I had an engine heater on all 6 cylinders and the oil pan plus an electric cabin heater. When I started it up it was misfiring, so I taxied it to the FBO to see what was wrong. When I jumped out of the cabin I saw two streaks of hydraulic fluid in the snow -- one for each of the main landing gear. The hydraulic seals were apparently frozen, or at least too hard form seals. I decided it was too cold to fly. Wife took the kids in our AMC Eagle and headed out for the week. (The misfiring was from ice crystals in the fuel.)

Several years later we woke up to similar weather. I had my diesel truck hooked up to a block heater so it started right up. But it was misfiring. We got about a mile before it quit, luckily a block from my son's house. Similar problem as I'd had with the plane -- diesel fuel had gelled up.

I saw similar temps in central S.D. one year, cold enough to freeze the battery. I think the alternator quit before the battery froze, which would be why it froze. Stranded me in Chamberlain for 5-6 days while we waited to get a new alternator for the Saab shipped from Edmonton. All roads in and out were closed for a couple of those days.

The only time I've seen -40F was on the Alaska Highway, just outside of Whitehorse, YT. 5W20 oil had to be heated to pour out of its oil can. Guy at the service station said I was lucky to be traveling that week, as the previous week it was cold.

Anyway, I've always just bought the best batteries available. The ones in my 2000 F250 PSD were branded Ford, and since they lasted until I removed them to use in my camper at year 8, I replaced them with Ford-brand batteries. Unfortunately they only lasted 3 years.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 01-10-2019 at 07:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive