Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 AM

118 posts, read 194,287 times

Advertisements

For AWD and a manual, try a used Acura TL (probably hard to find a manual, but they do exist) or a Subaru Legacy GT (only offered in a manual in the current generation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
I'd rather have a BMW 335X or an Audi S4. Lots of cheap mods to up the boost and make them fast (fast = under 12.5 in 1/4). Already will be faster than just about anything on the street with the AWD launch.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
You are the biggest tire kicker ever. I doubt you'll buy one. You'll be driving your POS Camaro until you die. You have been posting about this for over a year. Just go buy the car and live it up! Trade it in in a couple years for a 2011 CTS-V and repeat! Life is way too short to drive a POS, especially a F-body! lol
Actually only for a few months. A GXP is not easy to find. Especially not when one is seeking a specific configuration. However thanks for the sage advice.

BTW I still love the camaro. There still are not that many cars around that outrun it and it is in more or less perfect condition (excpet the head gasket problem). 5.7 0-60 is quick enough most of the time. However it is too uncomfrotbale for me and not really suitable for clients. I poke around looking for one once in a while. I found one that fit my criteria once (it was in north Carolina), but the timing was not good for us.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:47 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Anything is DIY if you have enough knowledge. You will need quite a bit of knowledge or a relevant technical degree to keep one of these running, without requiring hired help.

Well, sort of. Used to work on my own Porsche 928-series cars (GTS).... The Workshop manual was 9 volumes, and about 2800 pages... (you could also get it on microfiche) So yes, anything is DIY if there is enough knowledge. That was the easy part.
When the guide states 'use tool J-134 and adapter R-176 to remove the left widget', sometimes we could improvise, other times had to fabricate the tools), it rapidly became very time consuming. We did get good at pulling the motor.
For certain electronic components, fortunately we had access to my employer's full set of diagnostic tools (which were for telecom, but could diagnose most car ckts in a pinch, but most people don't have access to $50K pieces of test equipment, or the skills to use them).

Simplicity is bliss.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:37 PM

6 posts, read 25,367 times
S-Class, even AMGs are not "fun to drive". I would describe them as staggering or unbelievably physics defying.

If you really want a large luxury car like a Mercedes, I would consider a CarMax with their 6yr extended warranty for about $3k. That was the cheapest, longest warranty we could find for used MB. We bought a 2008 ML63 AMG last year and have had about $13,000 in repairs all covered under warranty. They don't cover hoses, but it was for $29 for the part and a crazy amount for labor at the dealer.

These cars are complex and expensive to repair out of warranty.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:02 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times
I would not buy an older/higher mileage supercar like this. Usually at this point in age/mileage they are on their second or third owners, and owned by young people who can barely afford the maintenance (but want to be seen in such a "hot" car) who tend to beat the car pretty hard/cheap out on non-cosmetic upkeep. At least that's my observation.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My biggest concern with the G8 is how it will handle in snow and ice. The fact it has equally balanced weight on all four wheels should help quite a bit. With snow tires, it is supposed to do reasonably well.
It will do great in the snow with a good set of snow tires and maybe 50-80 lbs of weight in the trunk.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
It will do great in the snow with a good set of snow tires and maybe 50-80 lbs of weight in the trunk.
Why put weight in the trunk of a G8? One of the features of that car is it is balances. Equal weight on each wheel. Sticking junk in the trunk woudl unbalance it. With typical RWD you wand weight in the trunk to offset the existing unbalance form the engine, but with a car that is balanced, it seems adding weight woudl be unnecessary or maybe even detrimental. If more weights in the back was better, why would they balance it instead of putting the weight more towards the back to begin with?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why put weight in the trunk of a G8? One of the features of that car is it is balances. Equal weight on each wheel. Sticking junk in the trunk woudl unbalance it. With typical RWD you wand weight in the trunk to offset the existing unbalance form the engine, but with a car that is balanced, it seems adding weight woudl be unnecessary or maybe even detrimental. If more weights in the back was better, why would they balance it instead of putting the weight more towards the back to begin with?
The added weight isn't always for balance. More weight over the rear tires means the rear of the car is heavier and hopefully digs into the snow better than a lighter car.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 AM

The G8 GXP weighs 3969 pounds. It is not a lighter car. It already has 1/4 of that weight on each tire (992 pounds). An Extra 80 pounds in the back (40 pounds per tire) cannot make much of a difference if any. However I am not certain extra weight is a benefit to a balanced car. I cannot find an answer through google. Probably have to find an engineer to ask.

The added weight is about balance. A full sized pick up truck already has plenty of weight. More than most cars. If you add weight int he bed, you get far better traction, not because the truck is not heavy enough already, but because the weight in the back balance out the weight of the engine in the front. Thus, when a car like the GXP is ready equally balanced and plenty heavy, there is likely no benefit form adding weight in the back, in fact, it may be detrimental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive