U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,579,994 times

Advertisements

Looking for some quick input if any is avialable. There is an AMG s55 available at a local auction for a very cheap price. Auctions are always a risk. This is the description:

2001 Mercedes Benz AMG S55, 95,366 miles, LOADED every option available. Automatic window shades including rear window, automatic head rests, heated and air conditioned front and rear seats with 3 different massage options (massage front seats only), sun roof, navigation, phone, Manual or automatic driving option, too many luxuries to list! Stickered for over $100,000.00 Newer rims and tires October 2011, all maintenance has been done at Mercedes Benz of Novi. Front drivers seat plastic has a crack but is still fully functioning, door ding on passenger rear and drivers door, engine light is because of aftermarket tire installation, runs good, all regular service was performed approximatley May 2012

What I really want is a G8 GXP, but this may be an incredible deal and it meets many of my wants (large and comforatble performance car, reasonably classy, should be reliable, suitable for transporting wealthy clients at times).

I really do nto know anything about these except what I can find on the internet. It is not as fast as a G8 but it may have better handling and it appears to be nicer. Apparently there are some modules that can go bad and cost $4000 to replace. Gas mileage is not great, but not worse than a G8 GXP.

No idea if it is fun to drive. Reviews say it is.

However if I take the gamble, I may be able to get it for $6 - 7 K. about half of its normal price private party. I have less than two hours to decide.

Are these DIY repariable?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 05:06 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,286,780 times
I don't know too many specifics but I can definitely recall that years ago when I was looking for that generation of S class on the used car market I was advised to run like hell. The W220 cars are known for their electrical gremlins. The general consensus seems to be that they are great cars IF you have a factory backed warranty.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM

5,088 posts, read 9,040,540 times
pass pass pass. To many unknows, way to many issues with those cars. Parts will be ungodly expensive, if you cant do the work your self, the labor will be expensive as well.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,799,928 times
W220 S class is prone to rust so make sure it spent its entire life in California or outside the rust belt states. Engine and transmission are bullet proof, some of the interior electronics are not the best but definitely DIY friendly. All maintenance and repair information can be found online if you are the DIY type. The W220 wasn't the best MB ever made but certainly a performance bargain these days. Resale value is low precisely because of the attitude demonstrated above: people are scared of the unknown. The most expensive repair you're likely to encounter is the air suspension. If you have money set aside for repairs like that you should be golden.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:55 PM

Two votes to run, one says it may be OK. -

It sells for $13,000 - $19,000 it seems. If I get it for $7K I could have a $6K budget for repairs and still be in the good. That is a positive. LIkely to overrun $6k in repairs int he next several years? A G8 GXP will cost $30K by comparison I could spend $13,000 in repairs. I can see it soting that much over the next five or ten year, but then the G8 wodl also likely need some repairs in that time.

It is a Michigan car. Rust may be an issue. It does not show any rust, but there are only a few exterior pictures.

They claim it is fully dealer maintianed, that is a good thing.

Engine light is on. THe CLAIM it is becasue they put low profile tires on it. Not sure wehther that is true of course.

It is gray, not my favorite color. Not a color I dislike like white, but a bit of a boring color.

I dilike low profile tires, but I could live with them until they wear out. Do I have to replace the wheels to go to regular tires? Maybe I can just swap with some kid who wants low profile.

Low profile tires probably = kid which probably = driven hard.

I can work on my own cars and my son loves to do so. But we do not usually work on them in the winter, except when he take them to his school shop. He intends to become a master mechanic either before or after getting an engineering degree. So I have built in help, plus my own abilities. I can do pretty much anything, I just do not want to most of the time.

I cannot be stranded by a broken car - ever. However I do not think that happens much with todays cars. They usually let you know well before they stop functioning. We drive all older high mileage cars now and never get stranded (or almost never).

I wish I could see one other than pictures. Will I like it as much as a G8? G8 looks boring in pictures, but decent look ing in reality. THis also looks boring in pictures.

1 1/2 hours to decide.

Thanks for your input so far. . . .

Leaning towards no. Maybe someone will come along and make a high bid and I will not need to decide. Currently at $6125.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM

Looked closely at the 13 pictures showing exterior. No sign of rust. Everything in the pictures looks in good shape excpet the crack in the plastic on the bottom of the drivers seat.

On the negative side, I realized it could be a smokers car. That would be awful.

Any ideas how they hold up to potholes?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:30 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,105,445 times
PASS.

You don't really believe aftermarket tires cause a check engine light, do you? I had an SL600, which probably had a lot of the same parts this car does. Your $6k budget for repairs could be gone in a year or less, especially if the check engine light is something serious. You might not be able to even pass inspection until it is fixed, and in TX, you can't register a car until it passes inspection.

If you want to work on these cars yourself, you'll probably need to get a whole new set of tools, as Torx stuff is the name of the game for German cars, plus many specialty tools for doing various things. Also, reading the codes can't be done with a regular scanner, you'll need the Merc scanner, which is very expensive, but can be obtained. Otherwise, you're looking at $100+ just for diagnostics from the dealer.

I'll reiterate... PASS.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:32 PM

5,088 posts, read 9,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
PASS.

You might not be able to even pass inspection until it is fixed, and in TX, you can't register a car until it passes inspection.

Unless they do emissions check engine light will not fail a "saftey inspection"

Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,112,276 times
Cold,

there's a 2001 on eBay right now bid at 4,000 and change with 47,000 miles on it.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the input everyone it is up to $7000 plus 12% auction fee. I think I will bow out of this one - primarily based on your input.

Still it amazes me a $100,000 plus car with only 95,000 miles is not worth $8,000. I read the S class mercedes are the fastest depreciating car in the world, now I see it in action.

Back to looking for a G8 GXP.

BTW. We do not have any form of inspection here. If the car will move, you can drive it.

I appreaciate your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive