U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 AM

12,869 posts, read 13,291,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Unfortunately body roll and soft ride goes hand in hand, hard to have one without other, especially for an SUV (the higher & softer, the more body roll).
Exactly.

Controlling body roll requires stiffer springs (among other things), which harden the ride.

If the OP wants a cushy ride they might want to try the Buick Enclave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM

70 posts, read 133,964 times
Bmw x6

Old 03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Status: "The Union forever! Down with the traitors." (set 18 days ago)

13,669 posts, read 17,522,791 times
There are three basic factors that impact ride quality: wheelbase, suspension tuning and rims/tires. The longer the wheelbase, the smoother the ride, everything else being equal. Basically, a longer wheelbase means more time between the front wheels hitting a bump and then the rear wheels hitting a bump giving the suspension more time to dampen the impact. The more comfort biased the suspension tuning, the better the ride quality, but handling suffers and body roll increases. The more tire versus rim, the better the ride from a comfort perspective, but handling suffers.

So, it all comes down to personal preference and how a particular design blends those three factors. My answer though is really predicated on budget. If you are looking to spend $25k that's a different discussion then if you were looking to spend $60k. In my experience, some of the smoothest riding crossovers are:

GMC Acadia
Buick Enclave
Chevy Traverse (while mechanically identical to the Acadia and Enclave, isn't as "smooth" but still good)
Mazda CX-9
Mercedes R-class (probably the best in the smooth department)
Lexus RX
Ford Flex
Lincoln MKX
Lincoln MKT
Infiniti JX
Acura MDX
Lexus GX
Lexus LX
Cadillac SRX
Cadillac Escalade
GMC Yukon Denali

That is far and away not a comprehensive list and unfortunately, when it comes to ride quality, it's something that is very subjective. Something I consider smooth or well balanced, is something you might consider too rough. However, that list covers a lot of price ranges and would be a good place to start researching and test driving.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM

1,627 posts, read 1,408,272 times
Based on experience since I have driven a fair amount of SUV's, best ride I got on the Acura MDX.
Besides suspensions and tires, a big factor on how well MDX is behaving when turning, I'm sure it is its SH-AWD.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,049,202 times
I have a Grand Cherokee, rides just as good as my gramps Caddy DeVille. Has a bit of body roll, but not much. If you look at a GC, get anything 2011 and newer. The 2005-2010 aren't nearly as nice.

Any SUV that size is going to be harder to park than a car. If you're afraid of parking larger vehicles, I'd suggest sticking with a smaller crossover. Banging into someone elses car will not make for a good day.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:42 PM

8,958 posts, read 8,542,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Which SUV has the most car-like feel in terms of ride and handling. I like SUV's because of being raised and looking down on the road and just having a little more room in general. I'm interested in a very soft ride where I don't feel the road. I'm also interested in something with minimal body roll during turns, good turn radius and something that is very easy to park. I'm not interested in a sport suspension or a racing type SUV. Based on this criteria, what would you recommend.
After years of enjoying it I can honestly recommend a Chevy/GMC Suburban with a set of "Bilstein" German made shock absorbers. I put a set on my 1993 Suburban and on our sons 2001 Suburban to get a ride like a limousine!!

Once installed this brand of shocks on a Suburban will give you a ride that just floats over bumps, potholes etc. like they are not there.

No other brand of shocks but ""Bilstein" German made shock absorbers" has given us the limo ride we now enjoy.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:49 PM

11,047 posts, read 9,218,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Unfortunately body roll and soft ride goes hand in hand, hard to have one without other, especially for an SUV (the higher & softer, the more body roll).
Not entirely true. The Lexus GX has a switch to control the comfort level. It has multiple levels. It holds curves extremely well, has a adjustable ride, and and a tight turning ratio even though it is a fulltime 4x4 (its even better than the RX). Another vehicle to try out that also has the best of all worlds and is not a SUV is the Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:03 PM

59 posts, read 72,392 times
Range Rover full size.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Status: "I wish everyone would listen to me :)" (set 15 days ago)

3,790 posts, read 1,699,951 times
I LOVE my Toyota Scion XB - good gas mileage for an SUV, without sacrificing comfort or having to squeeze into a smaller car.. rides nice and comfy and smooth.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 PM

361 posts, read 294,444 times
Escalade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive