Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:58 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,137,772 times

Advertisements

New to this forum, but not new to City Data in general. Want to put a question out there for you car lovers..

I have a 2012 Nissan Quest LE that we leased in January of last year. This is my second minivan, and I will be looking to trade it in sooner rather than later. Not because it's a bad car - I love it for what it is....A minivan, and it's a NICE one. I'm just done with minivans!

I want to begin researching an SUV/Crossover for my next car. I'm thinking a slightly used luxury model. My must haves for my next car:
- I want it to seat at least 7 (between scouts, kids + friends, etc - we will still need the room)
- Be fun to drive (I think that's why I'm over minivans....it's just boring. My husband has a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe that is super fun to drive)
- Comfortable for long trips (this will be the family car, and will likely make some cross country trips)
- Good reliability
- Quiet ride
- 2010 or newer (want low miles since I plan on having this car for a long while)

I don't really care for Mercedes vehicles, but if you can talk me into looking at one, I will. Everything else is up for grabs. I like Range Rovers, but their reliability history has me scared. I know Lexus' are reliable, but there are just SO many on the road, it kinda bugs me.

So, what would you suggest I look at? And I am very familiar with Edmunds, etc., and enjoy researching cars as a hobby, and attend car shows. I just have never allowed myself to venture into the more luxury vehicle market before, so they are not as well known to me.

Thoughts on Acura (MDX), Lexus (LX), Land Cruiser, Porche Cayenne, Audi Q7, Cadillac (thought I don't care for their styling)....are those worth the money over the new designed Ford Explorer, Enclave, Infinity JX/Nissan Pathfinder, etc? I tend to get my cars fully loaded, so the "lower end" cars still get up to $45,000+ once decked out if bought new.

**ETA: 3rd row in our minivan is used only once every few months. I do tend to need the cargo room for hauling long pieces of wood (from the lumber section of Lowes or Home Depot). We have 2 kids, but won't have more. One's in a booster, one's in convertible car seat for another couple of years.

Last edited by lhafer; 03-17-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 03:32 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,241,788 times
How much money are you looking to spend?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
How much money are you looking to spend?
Don't really have a set price in mind. I want to research various makes/models and find a few that I really like. Then over the next year or so, if something becomes available and it's a good deal, I will be ready to jump on it. I would guess <$55,000 - for brand new or for a NICE model, with low mileage, 1-2 years old. Probably a lease being traded in or something of that sort.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:43 PM

6 posts, read 25,357 times
Most crossovers do not have 7 seats. So you would be looking at a full size SUV. Generally these are not fun to drive, in fact, in some cases minivans are more fun dynamically. Are you really going to put lumbar in your fancy luxury SUV?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTummy View Post
Most crossovers do not have 7 seats. So you would be looking at a full size SUV. Generally these are not fun to drive, in fact, in some cases minivans are more fun dynamically. Are you really going to put lumbar in your fancy luxury SUV?
Sure will, just like I put lumbar in my fancy minivan that cost $45,000. I do wood working, and have to get it home somehow. And no, trucks are not an option.

I said crossover because while I like the idea of having seating for 7, we REALLY don't use it. Every instance that I have used it, has not been necessary - just convenient. Like I'm a girl scout troop leader. The last couple of times we did a field trip, I was able to take only my car, because we could fit everyone. But it wasn't necessary - the parents could have taken their own kids and dropped them off. It's more of a convenience thing. I have a 7 year old and 3 year old. I'm not sure what the future holds for having play dates, carting friends home afterwards, etc. If we get a 5 seater - that is quite limiting with 2 kids when it comes to friend hauling. But maybe that won't ever be an issue? The other thing is, our best friends have 3 kids. They don't have family around, like we don't either, so we are each other's support system. So if her kids need to be picked up from school - I wouldn't be able to put them all in my car. But again, they are ages 7,3 and a few months...so perhaps that will never be an issue.

I plan on having my next car for 7-10 years. That gets my oldest right at driving age. My current minivan was just a interim vehicle because my old minivan was about to bite it, and we still had strollers, dogs, dog crates, etc that we needed the space. We don't really have stroller needs on a daily basis anymore, and don't have pets anymore so those aren't a consideration.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM

21,844 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Well, start with the obvious. The Cayenne doesn't seat 7, others like the Q7 do but the third row is very cramped. There's also limited cargo room, the Q7 has about as much cargo room with both rows folded down as the Quest does with the third row folded down.

If you want luxury, the Acura MDX is a good bet, although you'll lose practicality. Just not as much as with the Audi Q7. If you want more fun, the Mazda CX-9 is one of the most engaging to drive and you don't give up as much practicality as with most crossovers. It's just not very luxurious.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 PM

19,018 posts, read 27,579,284 times
Escalade if you want to sit 7
Cayenne if you want fun to drive. I don't think you much more options left in "fun" department or really few in "sit 7" one. Audi has a powerful SUV that is closing on Cayenne in fun area, but yet...
Unless you really want to go posh and spendy and get them coming Bentlies or Lamborgini SUVs. I think, every super car manufacturer now is making or planning on making a SUV.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
I like the Traverse LTZ.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,161,655 times
Mdx

Old 03-17-2013, 08:25 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,162,160 times
We had the MDX (after other 7 seaters: SRX, Rendezvous, Quest, Sienna) and it was by far the most reliable & fun one to drive.
Friends have X5 & GL Bluetec and they too are fun to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive