U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:44 PM

17 posts, read 45,649 times

Advertisements

Does Safelite make their own windshields? What is the brand of their windshield called because someone that I know just used Safelite to replace his window and they used a Carlex window. I always thought they used their own glass, but I'm unsure of the brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 PM

5,159 posts, read 9,669,921 times
No, there are only 2 or 3 companys that make windshileds. Safelite is just a middle man between you and the glass maker. Chances are safelite uses the exact same glass as "bobs window repair"

Old 03-17-2013, 05:19 PM

17 posts, read 45,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
No, there are only 2 or 3 companys that make windshileds. Safelite is just a middle man between you and the glass maker. Chances are safelite uses the exact same glass as "bobs window repair"
But my friend got a Carlex window, that's why I thought that was weird and I thought they were gonna use a Safelite brand. Do you not trust Safelite?

Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 PM

4,426 posts, read 7,121,450 times
I asked a Safelite business owner this once, and he said they manufacture 90% of their own glass. The 2 windows I ended up having replaced were indeed Safelite branded and total garbage.

Google around a bit and you'll see lots of ex-Safelite employees talking about the glass.

It's all anecdotal, but there's just too much of it out there to ignore.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:49 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,501,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
There's are more companies than that; these days, you'll find many that are imported too. But indeed, Safelite is just the installer. Not every manufacturer makes glass for every vehicle, so they'll have a variety of brands they'll install.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM

2,941 posts, read 6,763,668 times
Used to manage a glass shop. Carlex is OEM for Ford, Nissan and a couple of other brands.

Safelite makes their own glass, they are the largest auto glass company in the world. But the quality is suspect. If I was getting my windshield replaced I would insist on Pilkington first, then PGW. Make sure you steer clear of XYG and YYG.

Safelite is not only the installer, they are the manufacturer and chances are they are the ones that answer the phone when you call your insurance company. So when you call in a claim to your insurance company, Safelite answers the phone for them and guess who they recommend to install the glass for you?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 AM

221 posts, read 241,383 times
My car has a Safelite coded windshield from the factory. Wavy on the edges and visible distortion in those areas. Wish it had a PPG or such, but GM I guess was trying to save a few bucks

Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,440,384 times
Personal preference, but whenever I replace glass, I request the OEM glass. Costs more, but worth it. When I had the windshield replaced on my Jeep, I told them I wanted Mopar glass. Lo and behold, Mopar glass is what I got, at about $70 more than the "house" brand. This was with Safelite as well.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,025,881 times
Phone around to small independent body shops. I got one installed for half the price that I was quoted by a glass shop. They all get their glass from the same place, and charge whatever they want for installation. Be sure to tell them it is not an insurance job. They love to rip off the insurance companies. You'll have to wait a day for delivery, they won't have it in stock.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM

22,562 posts, read 16,717,234 times
When I got a crack in the windshield from a rock that dropped off a truck, my insurance company, (FL insurance), would pay for it but I had to go through Safelite.

It's been almost two years since that was done and there isn't a thing wrong with the glass. It's just as good as the original glass that was on the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive