Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like Sunroofs?
I like Sunroofs 94 67.63%
I hate Sunroofs 24 17.27%
I am indifferent or have no experience with them 21 15.11%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:02 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
...plus the wind noise is annoying.
I have a sunroof in my Camry - it doesn't cause any wind noise when open. However, there's a certain configuration of sunroof open and passenger window open a bit that causes a standing wave inside the car that is quite unpleasant - sort of a low-pitch "boom - boom" sensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
I do enjoy the panoramic sunroof that my Subaru has.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 PM

307 posts, read 684,582 times
They are also great when driving in a big city, or in the mountains. Look up and see everything. If your the passenger of course.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:28 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times
Before all the options a moonroof was fixed glass with a shade, a sunroof was metal- but opened, now the two terms go either way, especially with the sliding glass(if you believe the original terms) hybrids. I hate both.

Ragtops used to be cars like the VW type 1 that had a sunroof that was pure cloth. Now convertibles are called ragtops. I hate ragtops, technically the new fiats arr ragtop convertibles, because a, b, c pilars stay intact.

I dont like cars that have the convertible option, IE a mustang. Its a hard top car that can come as a convertible. I only like hardtops. I do like cars that ARE convertibles, such as a miata or S2K. They were built as convertibles/roadsters. The only car that comes to mind with the convertible option I like is the Dakota Sport.

I like T-Tops and I like Targa tops. Like Civic Del Sols, Monte Carlos, Camaros, corvettes, Diablos and Vipers.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:34 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Before all the options a moonroof was fixed glass with a shade, a sunroof was metal- but opened, now the two terms go either way, especially with the sliding glass(if you believe the original terms) hybrids. I hate both.

Ragtops used to be cars like the VW type 1 that had a sunroof that was pure cloth. Now convertibles are called ragtops. I hate ragtops, technically the new fiats arr ragtop convertibles, because a, b, c pilars stay intact.

I dont like cars that have the convertible option, IE a mustang. Its a hard top car that can come as a convertible. I only like hardtops. I do like cars that ARE convertibles, such as a miata or S2K. They were built as convertibles/roadsters. The only car that comes to mind with the convertible option I like is the Dakota Sport.

I like T-Tops and I like Targa tops. Like Civic Del Sols, Monte Carlos, Camaros, corvettes, Diablos and Vipers.
I loved the T-Tops on my '89 Trans Am (now my nephew's). To me it was the best of both worlds, like having a convertible but without getting my hair messed up or having to clean out my car before getting on the highway. The only drawback was getting caught in sudden downpours, when I'd be on the side of the road running to the trunk to get them back on, while people driving by laughed.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:29 PM

12 posts, read 58,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I don't see why people like Sunroofs in their car?

I don't want UV raves shining on my head or inside my car (that's why we tint our windows). I try to keep as much sunlight out of my car as possible--visors, etc.

Plus I always hear so many complaints that they leak when it rains.

So what is it that you like about Sunroofs?

Just curious.
My pickup came with a factory sunroof and I love it! First off, the glass is tinted, mine also has a cover that matches the interior that can be put in place and most folks riding don't even realize I have it.

The benefits? A cool breeze that isn't blowing in your face. Taking it out on a warm night while driving is good as well.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Though neither of my current cars have a sun/moonroof, I've had a number of cars with them before. They can help relieve the sense of being cooped up on long drives, particularly the glass-panel variety (moonroof I guess?) where you can open the shade without opening the roof. They're nice to have open at in-town cruising speeds during mild summer evenings. I find they're just too noisy at highway speeds though.

I'm mostly indifferent about sunroofs and not having one isn't a deal-breaker on an otherwise ideal car. But now that neither of my cars has one I've come to realize I'd rather have one than not if I had a choice and if there isn't a major difference in cost.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:50 PM

Oh, and never had a problem with leaking, though the one on my Saab was peculiar in that it wouldn't automatically stop once it reached the closed position. If you held it down while closing it from its retracted position, it would keep on going and pop up. If it was popped up and you were holding the button to put it in the down position, it would keep right on going into "retract" mode. Whenever I wanted to close it I had to roll down the window, put my hand on the roof, and confirm with my fingers when it was actually in the closed and sealed position.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrralis1 View Post
I like performance cars and even though many on the lots in Florida have a sunroof I would opt to delete it in a custom order . My M3 for instance does not have a sunroof .
My 997 Turbo does have one but when I considered ordering a 991 I deleted it on my build.

BTW .. Here is what happens to a sunroof in a performance car in a standing one mile competion .

EVOMS and JOETWINT at Texas Mile 224+ MPH with Evolution MotorSports - YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Did I miss something? And why did the car get loose while going in a straight line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
What does this have to do with a sunroof?
Listen closely at 0:53 -- the sunroof pops open, which as you can imagine at 200+ MPH might unsettle the aerodynamics just a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive