Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

How do you figure 6.5 liters is going to give it a 50 mile range?

Trust me, it isn't a Civic. It's not getting 30 mpg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
From the article:
Big mistake: The 18-foot car has an(sic) tank that holds 6.5 liters of diesel,(sic) and does not work when given gas

Doesn't sound like the author is describing a 6.5 liter diesel engine to me.
You are correct, just noticed the stupid note under one of the pictures...as you pointed correctly, a 6.5 liter tank would be good for about 12 miles (more exact 10.8 miles @ 8 MPG)...

Old 03-22-2013, 03:38 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
There still hasnt been an official statement that it was a fuel issue anyway. Just a lot of conjecture and "reports" from whos no what kind of "sources". There prob never will be any official word either with any real details.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
Your right, it's no civic...
6.5 Liters = 1.71711834 Gallons

Not sure what I was thinking...
so a 15mi range?, I bet it doesn't have emissions.
and they just putt around with it.
I bet the driver hardly has to push on the go pedal.
It probably goes 25mph just on low idle.
I bet he holds it back more that he gives it to her.

The weight cited for this limo falls way within the capitulates of this chassis.
so the weight is not a burden for it.

But I agree, it seams like is so little of an amount of fuel.
Why not at least a 10gal tank?

Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Your right, it's no civic...
6.5 Liters = 1.71711834 Gallons

Not sure what I was thinking...
so a 15mi range?, I bet it doesn't have emissions.
and they just putt around with it.
I bet the driver hardly has to push on the go pedal.
It probably goes 25mph just on low idle.
I bet he holds it back more that he gives it to her.

The weight cited for this limo falls way within the capitulates of this chassis.
so the weight is not a burden for it.

But I agree, it seams like is so little of an amount of fuel.
Why not at least a 10gal tank?
It was a mistake in the article, the engine displacement is 6.5 L not the tank (probably at least 30 gallons since it gives 8 MPG, you'd expect a minimum 240 miles range).

Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 PM

6.6 Duramax Engine 300 hp; Diesel
http://www.truckpaper.com/list/list....topkick&pdcl=1

the engine choices are for the topkick/Kodiak
engine 6.6L or the 7.8L diesels or a 8.1L V8 gasser

Everything says the topkick uses a 6.6 and not a 6.5...

The Fuel amount is most likely a typo.

fyi,
The vehicle fuel milage is reported to be about 8 miles per US gallon (29 L/100 km; 9.6 mpg-imp)

Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Happens all the time to my Canadian 'diesel-driving' friends passing through OREGON, where the LAW REQUIRES the intelligence and skill of an attendant to fill your tank... Fortunately, us 'border-dwellers' know that the regulations ONLY apply to GAS cars, not diesel (it's not as EXPLOSIVE / DANGEROUS).

Hard to believe this would happen unintentionally in a FOREIGN country, where Diesel is far more prevalent than petrol (ick). Must have been a Cadillac expert staff mechanic from Detroit. Probably had never seen a Cadillac diesel, I can't recall ever seeing / working on one.

Obama should have been using cooking oil for fuel... much better results, especially for emissions and lubricity. And very available world wide!

WASHINGTON these days, is always intent on showing the world our ignorance. This is pretty par for their image, and probably the first time Obama ever rode in a TRUCK. (All USA Presidents should be required to have been in 4-H. At least they would have some Leadership EXPERIENCE, be accountable, and required to fill out a 'project-book' as well as a cash flow analysis. )
you mean your firends sit there and watch them put gas intheir diesel cars and trucks. nothgstoppigthem from watching and makig sure plus orderig the right fuel gas staion attendance are rarely future CEOs ;afterall.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
you mean your firends sit there and watch them put gas intheir diesel cars and trucks. nothgstoppigthem from watching and makig sure plus orderig the right fuel gas staion attendance are rarely future CEOs ;afterall.
Every case I've seen the 'VICTIM' has trusted the INSISTANT attendent to KNOW what they are doing, READ the CAP, READ the LABEL, CHECK the color of nozzle to match the cap, AND most Canadians are the 'trusting type' and expect FULL service employees who WILL NOT LET YOU OUT OF YOUR CAR in the highly dangerous environment of a Fueling station to properly do their job. After all in Canada many cars are diesel, and it is not something you have to REMIND / question the 'professional' attendent.

BTW: I spent MANY yrs pumping gas, and made more than a few mistakes myself (usually doing 'brake-jobs' for Mechanical engineers, who were a large share of my clients), tho not (myself) ever desiring to become a CEO, thos did get several advanced degrees. Yes, STUFF happens, even to the 'elite'. (Presidents and the like)

Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 PM

^The problem with bio fuels is the ph levels.
There very acidic this is counters the lubricity gains.

no,,,, nope i'm not going to be sucked in to SR's postings...

It sucked me innnnnn....

How would this work at BP stations, green handle=gas at BP.

Not all stations fallow the color code.
Few do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Every case I've seen the 'VICTIM' has trusted the INSISTANT attendent to KNOW what they are doing, READ the CAP, READ the LABEL, CHECK the color of nozzle to match the cap,

Old 03-22-2013, 09:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
works fine for those who can read and stuff (Not always to be expected of 18+ yr olds in USA)

BTW: I have never had a PH problem with Bio-fuels (diesel equivalent), but i've only been around them for 50 yrs, so I certainly haven't seen it all. Never had the issue while living and using them in Asia or Europe either, but... stuff happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive