Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 05:09 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times

Advertisements

BTW... just to emphasize, if the engine does crank, it is ulikely there is any fuel or spark issues, including stuff like crank position sensor.

Its likely
-ignition switch(worn)
-neutral safety switch(someone spills a coke on it and it corrodes)
-VATs system, not sure what it is on that year grand prix, but basically the security system. Example, the key may have a resistor and RFID chip in that has to "pair" with the car to help it start, more then just a physical key.
-Starting solenoid?
-Bad battery circuit/starter electric circuit, enough juice to have lights on, but not enough to crank the motor.
-Possibly a bad starter/solenoid(maybe smack the starter and see if it works)

-or motor is seized and starter can't crank it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
I have a Pontiac Gran Prix, 2007 model with 98,000 miles. I pulled into my driveway and turned it off. Came out a few moments later and when you turn the key everything comes on as usual but there is no start. It doesn't even try to start. Battery is good (new) and have not had any indications of problems. Anyone ever have this problem?
One of the cables on your (new) battery is loose.

If you want more specific diagnoses, you'll need to provide more information.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
I have had my Camaro do this on me before. The lights and stereo came on, but when I turned the key the car would not start, the engine wouldn't even try to turn over. What did I do? I went under the hood and checked the battery connections, then I shook the battery around a bit and got back in the car, it started up. Took the car to Advance Auto who tests battery strength, it was on its way out. I purchased a new battery, issue has not been back since.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 7,497 times
My car is a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix which hasn't given me any problems prior to this present time. Its turns on, but it won't start, the lights, radio inside & lighting turns on but it won't start. It's over 100,000miles help !!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I have had my Camaro do this on me before. The lights and stereo came on, but when I turned the key the car would not start, the engine wouldn't even try to turn over. What did I do? I went under the hood and checked the battery connections, then I shook the battery around a bit and got back in the car, it started up. Took the car to Advance Auto who tests battery strength, it was on its way out. I purchased a new battery, issue has not been back since.
Thank you !!!!!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
One of the cables on your (new) battery is loose.

If you want more specific diagnoses, you'll need to provide more information.

The car just won't start , tried starting it and the lights, radio, inside lighting comes on , front and back exterior lights come on, but it won't turn over !!!!!!

Thanks though !!!!!!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 AM

656 posts, read 1,341,210 times
When you turn the key to the start position, does everything else cut out? Are you getting any response from the starter at all (clicking, whirring noise, etc?).

Old 10-02-2014, 09:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Start by checking the battery terminals, heavy cable and engine ground strap. Check the battery voltage (cheap radio shack voltmeter). It should read just over 12 volts without any load. Have someone try to crank the engine. The voltage should drop to 10 volts or so if the starter is energized. If the voltage does not drop the problem is in the starter circuits. Then check if the starter solenoid is getting any voltage. Find the small wire to the starter (I have no idea where it is) and see if it has any voltage when the key is turned to "start". If not you can have fun chasing the problem through the maze of connections, interlocks and wires. Be logical, patient and take notes of what you have checked. Good luck. OH - A wiring diagram is really helpful.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:01 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Barney View Post
Thank you !!!!!
Did that end up working for you?

Old 12-20-2016, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times
Where is the relay located on the Pontiac Grand Prix that can cause the car not to start. My mechanic thought that it was a security problem with the key so went and had one made but that wasn't what it was. I bought a new battery and the alternator was replaced two years ago. Something is stopping the fuel pump from engaging. But I don't know where the fuel pump relays are at on the car

Last edited by Truckerg6; 12-20-2016 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: More information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive