Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which generation do you prefer?
Old School 83 54.61%
New School 69 45.39%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparknighthawk View Post
I want a modern era car with a true stand up hood ornament, white wall tires, and wire wheel covers. It has to look like a true classic with the modern goodies. I like the big classic 70's look.
Is this a joke? Wouldn't you want real wires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 PM

238 posts, read 590,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chango View Post
i like "old school" styling but i don't miss cars that rust out in only a few years, break down regularly and are lucky to make it to 100k miles even with obsessive maintenance.
bingo !

Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,812 times
For many classic car enthusiasts, 60s is new school and anything past 1973 doesn't get a look. As far as values, the new just isn't going to compare to old in general. You can always restomod your classic and you don't see C1s with C6 kits, while you do see C1 kits for a C6. I definitely wouldn't say newer cars have more options either.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Mac View Post
bingo !
Well, not really a bingo. Not with those inaccuracies ("break down regularly," "are lucky to make it to 100k miles...")

Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Bull****.

Just because most owners won't do it doesn't mean they can't.

I dont have pictures, but even my old '74 911 would do blazing smokeshows.
Thanks for validating what I said. That is not much smoke (or very impressive) compared to classic muscle car burnouts.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Thanks for validating what I said. That is not much smoke (or very impressive) compared to classic muscle car burnouts.
*sigh* they can smoke the tires the same. Smoke levels, aregenerally functions of tire compounds, not hp driving them, once that are spinning at the same rate (which they are). Most owners just don't because they aren't troglodytes that think loss of traction means horsepower.

Porsche Burn Out - YouTube

Late model BMWs are pretty good at them, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBIxYC3Lazs

Old 04-02-2013, 01:59 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
I like old, and I like new as well. Restomods are common, and yes, you will find C1 corvettes with modern drivetrains, but it's rare to see someone try to put a new styled body on an older car...at least at those classic levels. I can remember seeing someone do a restomod on a 4th gen trans am (can never find the picture) that put a 1970-73 inspired front bumper, shaker hood, ground effects, and spoiler on the vehicle. It looked slick (at least to me) at the time. I've also seen some of the late model corvette body kits, and they're pretty odd looking. If the price was right, i'd love to buy one of those YearOne body/frame combos and build my own car, but it'd require some major $$...still, you'd likely have a nicer car when finished for a fraction of the price of an original.

I've done an "modern" interior about 6 years ago in my 85 firebird. I added the seats, dash, door panels, and center console from a 97 car (the 98-02 interior was a bit pricy, and hard to come by at the time). It's now "dated" again, but it's still in better shape than my earlier dash...just won't age with the same "pizzaz". The same thing happened to a lot of folks who wanted fuel injected engines in the 1990's who dropped L98 camaro/corvette motors into their resto-mods...they were cool for a time, then they just looked "dated" and i'm sure the same thing will happen with the current swap of LS1-LS7 vehicles...all in time.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:56 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Personally, I prefer the new school cars but this car is similar to the one my favorite uncle owned (God rest his soul) and it brings back many fond memories of him. I miss him.

My uncle had a similar (1972?) Ford LTD this same color paint and upholstery with a white ragtop roof.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:13 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
I had both, a 1970 Chevelle SS396 (yeah, I know- I should've kept it) and now a WRX 5-Door. I loved the ridiculous torque, straight line performance and intoxicating sound of the small block V8 on the Chevelle, but that car couldn't corner worth crap and its brakes were even worse. Not to mention the spotty reliability, although I will say that I could actually find and fix things on that relatively simple engine and chassis.

Now I enjoy the much more modest power but still very fun capabilities of my WRX, it handles great (all season), comfortable, probably could keep up to 60mph, (but would certainly be way behind by the 1/4 mile) as the Chevelle, gets decent mileage and is ridiculously dependable- 10 years old, no problems (which is great because I can barely identify, much less fix things in that engine bay).

So, if I can only choose one definitely new school but if I had a few cars I would love to have an old school late 60s muscle car in the stable.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
*sigh* they can smoke the tires the same. Smoke levels, aregenerally functions of tire compounds, not hp driving them, once that are spinning at the same rate (which they are). Most owners just don't because they aren't troglodytes that think loss of traction means horsepower.

Porsche Burn Out - YouTube

Late model BMWs are pretty good at them, too:

Bmw E36 Burnout - YouTube
Sigh.

That's not very good. I know someone who had a 6-cylinder '69 Chevelle that could do better donuts than that Porsche.

Wonder why that Porsche was "burning rubber" by doing donuts? Because is the driver tried doing an regular burnout (no turning in a circle or powerbraking) it would look pathetic! Same thing with the BMW.

Here are some burnouts done just by accelerating from a dead stop:

1970 Plymouth Barracuda Hemi 426 Takeoff - YouTube

454 chevelle burnout - YouTube

70 Chevelle 454 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive