Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which generation do you prefer?
Old School 83 54.61%
New School 69 45.39%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:12 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,604,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
And they were made for NASCAR, where speeds reach over 150MPH, even back then. So what's your point?
I think the point was the things were and are useless at street speeds, or even highway speeds. Just excess weight and wind resistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:53 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I think the point was the things were and are useless at street speeds, or even highway speeds. Just excess weight and wind resistance.
They had to be available and sold to the public to be classified as a production car.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:24 PM

11,153 posts, read 29,139,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
The wing on a Plymouth Superbird only worked at a very fast speed, 150mph or greater made them most efficient in pushing air down on the rear end of a posi rear car

Within speed limit 55mph they did practically nothing
Bah the Plymouth Superbird and Daytona Charger were ok but the get their butts handed to them in NASCAR and ARCA by Ford with the Ford Torino Talladega and Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II during the Aero Wars:

One other important footnote: 1969 was Ford's last year of factory involvement and/or support in racing of any kind for several years. Following Congressional hearings in which they were questioned about the R&D costs of racing vs. improving fuel economy and safety, Ford completely abandoned all of their racing programs, starting with the 1970 season. Subsequently, most of the NASCAR and ARCA race teams that were running Fords continued to run their 1969 Talladegas in 1970 without any factory support, when it became apparent that their Talladegas were aerodynamically superior to the 1970 Torinos that Ford had intended to be the Talladega's replacement.

After the 1970 season, NASCAR effectively banned the "aero cars" by restricting all five of these limited aero "production" cars to having to compete with engines no larger than 305 cubic inches of displacement (vs. the 426, 427, & 429 inches that the other cars could run), and the competitive history of the Talladega (and its fellow aerowarrior rivals) was essentially over.

Today, a Torino Talladega is a very collectible car. It was a special purpose built vehicle (some have even called it a "showroom race car") with a very strong racing history, with major links to the NASCAR teams of 1969, that achieved great success during the Aero Wars. Those few examples that still exist today, do so in very limited numbers. Ironically, for some reason, until recently, their values had not risen nearly as high as the Mopar "aero cars" in spite of their rarity and their great track successes during the pinacle of stock car racing (the aero wars years).

Some experts have assumed that this was due to the sheer outrageousness of the Dodge Charger Daytona and the Plymouth Superbird, with their bolted on huge rear wings and nose cones; as the MOPAR winged cars' prices had eclipsed the far more subtle, and aerodynamically integrated, bodywork of the Ford Torino Talladega and its sibling, the Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II. Regardless, most experts still consider the Talladegas and the Spoiler IIs to be very undervalued; but, in 1969 (and overall during the two years of the aerowars) Ford's Talladegas (and Spoiler IIs) owned the high banks of NASCAR and ARCA.

Until very recently (2010), very little had been written and documented about these rare cars; however, there is now a website that is dedicated to the Talladega and Spoiler II cars produced by Ford and Mercury during 1969 as they fired powerful shots during the aerowars. For more information please go to http://www.talladegaspoilerregistry.com/

Source: Ford Torino Talladega - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-10-2014, 08:16 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
The 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona was more than just "okay."

Buddy Baker, driving a '69 Charger Daytona, was the first driver in NASCAR history to break the 200 mph mark (March 24, 1970 at Talladega).

Old 07-27-2017, 12:31 AM
R85

41 posts, read 58,425 times
I'd say both. 03-04 Mustang Cobra's for the new and 63-68 Impala's for the old school.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:30 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
Kinda like swords vs machine pistols. One takes skill knowledge and aptitude. The other any dimwit can point and pull the trigger.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:09 PM

10 posts, read 6,014 times
I hate poo, I hate aches I don't give a damn about Physical fitness.
Burn every damn Gyms to the Ground. Go Nickelback to hell with Country music
Pickup trucks are big bulky and slow and block my view
The 3000 GT turbo was cool. a high tech sports car, changing spoilers, rear wheel steering
enough of the damn muscle cars I don't give a damn about engine noise.
I would love to have a high tech AWD Turbo automatic transmission sports car with like 400+ HP
Go Godzilla aka Nissan GTR
Nissan GTR be like Simcountry's High tech off Weapon maintain 8.9 bil sales 3.6 bill profit a month

Old 02-04-2018, 08:25 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,229,658 times
I have a 1970 Camaro and a Benz 550. Biggest issue is finding an analog mechanic to work on the 70 Camaro in this digital age....

Old 02-04-2018, 09:22 PM

10 posts, read 6,014 times
To me Dodge is unreliable pieces of junk. Kind of of like work equipment. RF scanners and Crown vehicles act like Dodge. They always screw up. They always want to reboot or stall kind of like domestic vehicles. So I drive a Hyundai Elantra and be #1 in reliability as long as I don't tear it up. 20K and loaded with tech and reliability.
To me the muscle car is like a automatic gun with too much recoil. Only thing you will shoot with is the sky.

Last edited by mrp8196; 02-04-2018 at 09:52 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 12:11 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,218,123 times
About the only car from the 1960s I covet is the Shelby Cobra.

From the 1970s? Either the BMW 2002ti or the Bavaria or the M1. Or a Porsche 911 Carrera.

Not much in the 1980s except the Porsche 959 or BMW M3. The Audis were getting better, so maybe the Quattro.

There were many fine cars built in the 1990s and in the years since, but I'm not all that interested. Maybe another Mk4 Golf TDI or a 1st-gen Audi A3 TDI (yeah, we didn't get that engine in the US, but it's a simple swap) but they are mainly just used cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive