Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:14 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

In CA you can get an impeding traffic ticket while doing the speed limit if a cop sees you corking traffic.
"or in compliance with law". They are complying with the law by going the speed limit or the minimum speed limit...
Calli

V C Section 22400 Minimum Speed Law

Minimum Speed Law

22400. (a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.
No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
(b) Whenever the Department of Transportation determines on the basis of an engineering and traffic survey that slow speeds on any part of a state highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the department may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle, except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law, when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected along the part of the highway for which a minimum speed limit is established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 11:18 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Who said we were in Texas?

Regardless a cop is not going to ticket you for 5mph over the limit with good road conditions even Texas...
ticketing for going 7mph over the limit is seen as petty by the courts.
Most cops are told not to ticket untill they are 7 over depending on the zone
school construction zones and the like are different... and lower tolerances apply
Bs and i have the ticket to prove it. 75 in a 70 ...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-31-2013, 11:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Who said we were in Texas?

Regardless a cop is not going to ticket you for 5mph over the limit with good road conditions even Texas...
ticketing for going 7mph over the limit is seen as petty by the courts.
Most cops are told not to ticket untill they are 7 over depending on the zone
school construction zones and the like are different... and lower tolerances apply
Just interested in what the actual statutes say in different states for comparison purposes and you sounded like you'd read yours.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:29 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Just practice your PIT manuever.. used daily, and correctly every once in a while youll have to buy yourself a new turnsignal lense or even headlight.. but its worth it.. thats what commuter cars are for anyway..

Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
I generally flash my high beams.....within 5 miles, they get the hint.

Now, when I'm in the left lane and someone is tailgating me and I cannot go faster because of cars in front of me, I generally hit the brakes.....scares the crap out of them, but they usually get the hint!

Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Brake checking gets you a PIT as well.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:48 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
"or in compliance with law". They are complying with the law by going the speed limit or the minimum speed limit...
Calli

V C Section 22400 Minimum Speed Law

Minimum Speed Law

22400. (a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.
No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
(b) Whenever the Department of Transportation determines on the basis of an engineering and traffic survey that slow speeds on any part of a state highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the department may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle, except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law, when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected along the part of the highway for which a minimum speed limit is established.
That has to do with posted minimum speed laws. For example, if the Interstate has a posted minimum speed law and you are in violation of it because there is road construction has 35 mph posted speed when the minimum is 45 or because the weather conditions are terrible, then you're not in violation of the minimum speed law. That's a separate issue than impeding the flow of traffic. You can still be ticketed for driving 45 mph (a common minimum) in the fast lane. If the maximum speed is 65, however, it's pretty unheard of to get a ticket for going 65 in the fast lane.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:50 AM

Meany states have the same traffic code thanks to the"uniform traffic code".
states still do have the ability to change or modify them to a point.
You see a state can't have such a different laws from another as it would be impossible to know what state has what law.

I believe I have cited this before, and so did you.
where 5mph over is permitted to complete a pass.
MN, MT & WA and WY allow drivers to exceed the speed limit while passing on two lane roads.
The Federal Highway Administration recommends that police tolerance never be less than 5 MPH. See 66 FR 29855 (``setting and enforcing rational speed limits'').

Some states have laws providing that points are not assessed for minor speeding. On freeways in the daytime the tolerance is 5 MPH in Colorado, Florida, Michigan, Missouri, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, North Dakota, and Wyoming; 10 MPH in Kansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Montana, and West Virginia; and 15 MPH in Georgia. South Dakota
Pennsylvania doesn't allow radar or laser tickets for less than 6 over the limit (or less than 11 over a limit less than 55 MPH), and only State Police can use radar or laser. Except by the State Patrol, radar and VASCAR can't be used in Georgia to write a ticket for 10 or less over the limit outside a residential area or school zone.
State Traffic and Speed Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Just interested in what the actual statutes say in different states for comparison purposes and you sounded like you'd read yours.

Minimum Speed Rule: The Minimum Speed Rule prohibits a person from operating a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. However, in order to avoid a possible conflict with the basic speed rule, the law normally provides that a slow speed is permissible when "reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law." See Uniform Vehicle Code §11-805(a).

Old 03-31-2013, 11:57 AM

Highways or limited access roads have set minimum speeds.
like 45mph on a 55mph highway.
You can't get a impeding ticket for going 45mph...

Next construction zones are posted and that is a max not a minn.
No one is going to get an impeding ticket for going 40 in a construction zone posted 45mph... so you can't be violation.

again speed in the left lane is argumentative and you should be in the right lane unless your passing anyway regardless of your speed or lack of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That has to do with posted minimum speed laws. For example, if the Interstate has a posted minimum speed law and you are in violation of it because there is road construction has 35 mph posted speed when the minimum is 45 or because the weather conditions are terrible, then you're not in violation of the minimum speed law. That's a separate issue than impeding the flow of traffic. You can still be ticketed for driving 45 mph (a common minimum) in the fast lane. If the maximum speed is 65, however, it's pretty unheard of to get a ticket for going 65 in the fast lane.

and he probably caught you for going even faster but he cut you a deal, right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Bs and i have the ticket to prove it. 75 in a 70 ...

I have read ours many times. I even got a "A" in traffic code.
I posted the states in a post a above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Old 03-31-2013, 12:06 PM

As I crawl up your but until I can't see your lights with my truck and say, it's a nice day to die...
Do it again dumb a-ss.

It is illegal to brake check.

Be careful out there you never know who or what the other guy is thinking or will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Now, when I'm in the left lane and someone is tailgating me and I cannot go faster because of cars in front of me, I generally hit the brakes.....scares the crap out of them, but they usually get the hint!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive