Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2013, 04:14 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times

Advertisements

I need to get the most UV protection for the back window and back passenger windows. NJ doesn't allow front.

I don't want too dark to jeopardize my sight, but I want Max UV protection?

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,140,233 times
I had my last car done with Hüper Optik ceramic tint. It comes in different shades.

Keep in mind installation is everything. Visiting a wham bam shop could not only lead to a crappy install, but damaged glass etc.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:59 AM

568 posts, read 2,419,908 times
I'll second the Hüper Optik ceramic film. If UV and heat rejection are your primary goals, then it'll be hard to beat. It's available in a 70% tint, which is practically clear, so you could still go ahead and do your front windows. A friend of mine has it in 70% on the windshield of his truck. It's a black truck with a black interior. It made a very noticeable difference in interior temps, but if he didn't tell you his windshield was tinted, you'd never know. Just keep in mind that the Hüper Optik is a bit pricey.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Just be aware you still might be hassled by Jersey cops. My bf's pickup has tint on the side and rear windows from the factory. His isn't that dark either but we've been pulled over for it anyway and told it's illegal.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
^I think the cops were just fishing...the tint was just an excuse to pull you over.
Told they have to use a light meter to be sure.
jmo.

I've been running illegal tint over factory tint for 5 years and I have yet to get hassled. Maybe it's the way you drive that attracts attention?

Old 04-01-2013, 11:19 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
If you want to get technical about it, your car glass blocks pretty much all of UVB rays.

If skin damage is your concern, then UVA does still pass through, but of course if your skin is a concern, then quit smoking.

If you're simply looking for good glass tint, I like 3M Crystalline which is said to block 99% of UV radiation. But, the reality is, most window tint films will block most UV rays, so by spending $500+ to get Crystalline or Huper OptiK films, you're practicing the law of diminishing returns--spending twice the price to get a couple of percent better performance--especially in a state like New Jersey where the sun barely shines anyway. I've had them all and now I usually buy the mid range tint films.

If you look on some of the enthusiast forums, the window tint debates can almost rival the armchair expert nitpicking of motor oil debates.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
All I can say is - don't be a cheapskate. Call around and find someone who does good job and for good price, like my guy here 0 entire car with moonroof, super well done - $120.
Reason being, film you buy at parts stores is J-U-N-K!! I have done plenty of my cars myself, and spent several hrs with my guy, while he was tinting with the RIGHT stuff, including windshield - and it's huge difference in film quality.
I simply tell him what I want - which is mostly hit retention, not UV - and he does what works and is LEGAL.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM

33 posts, read 80,457 times
Huper Optic ceramic heat rejection is fantastic. You can really feel the difference. I went with 70% on the windshield, and 30 on the rest. There is a difference in the quality of films. Dyes will fade overtime and become purple. Huper Optic is guarantied for life, and if some idiot cop makes you peel it off they will replace it for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive