U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times

Advertisements

I currently drive 1998 F-150 4X4 Supercab (16 MPG) with 217K miles on it. It runs just about perfect and it is just a get-to-work-truck. I don't NEED a new truck.

Looking to get a new truck in the next year or two for side airbags and other safety upgrades, lower gas mileage, and the treat of a new truck.

Would love it if a 3rd generation (completely redesigned) Toyota Tacoma was in the works but I've seen no evidence of this. The Tacoma is basically the same truck as in 2006.
Thinking about purchasing either the same old 2nd generation 2014 Tacoma (with a potential heartbreak if an all new Tacoma comes out in 2015 or 2016) OR a completely redesigned Chevy Colorado in 2014.

Anyone hearing ANYTHING about an all new Tacoma?

2014 Chevy Colorado

2014 Chevrolet Colorado Crew Cab Motor Trend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,012,544 times
Hi Charles--

I'm going to suggest the third option: drive your F-150 until the wheels fall off. I'm assuming it's paid off, it runs good, and it's gotten you around town just fine.

You aren't going to get that much better gas mileage with the smaller trucks (maybe an improvement to 22 MPG if you're lucky and buy the four-cylinder trucks).

As far as safety goes, the cars of yesterday were much less "safer" and we still made it just fine - remember the Pinto's that would explode? A few extra air bags won't mean all the difference, I don't think.

So, keep on trucking that F-150.

(To actually answer your question - I'd go with the Tacoma over the Colorado any day, but I would wait until the next generation Tacoma comes out - which I guess brings us back to 'keep driving the F-150').

Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi Charles--

I'm going to suggest the third option: drive your F-150 until the wheels fall off. I'm assuming it's paid off, it runs good, and it's gotten you around town just fine.

You aren't going to get that much better gas mileage with the smaller trucks (maybe an improvement to 22 MPG if you're lucky and buy the four-cylinder trucks).

As far as safety goes, the cars of yesterday were much less "safer" and we still made it just fine - remember the Pinto's that would explode? A few extra air bags won't mean all the difference, I don't think.

So, keep on trucking that F-150.

(To actually answer your question - I'd go with the Tacoma over the Colorado any day, but I would wait until the next generation Tacoma comes out - which I guess brings us back to 'keep driving the F-150').
Probably will do that....my oldest kid is 14 in August so the F-150 might be a good vehicle to pass to her, safe, heavy, it's also a manual stick shift too.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 AM

8,992 posts, read 14,192,166 times
Is GM going to offer a redesigned Colorado in the US market? There is a definate trend to axe small trucks by the domestic makers due to lagging sales. If they do, it would be hard to decide against a Tacoma without knowing many of the specifics. A good redesign could make it significantly better than the older Tacoma, but the devil is in the details.

Truth be told, I would get yourself a new F-150 (Silverado, Tundra, or other full sizer). After taking the discounts and such into consideration, the small trucks begin to look overpriced IMO and do not really offer enough benefit other than being more compact in size.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM

5,586 posts, read 11,837,023 times
Already seen the Colorado and it's a dandy looking truck. The interior will make more sense to most folks that are not currently driving a GM truck. The Silverado's dash layout is a wreck as is ergonomics, for an example. GM has put a ton of R&D into this unit so I'm assuming that it will be a good introduction. It's going to be available with a diesel if you have the interest. Fuel mileage is suppose to be in the 30+ range hiway with the oil burner. The Tacoma will not see any changes for at least the next 4 years. The plant at San Antonio just retooled last year for it and Toyota has to justify the cost. While the guys at the SA plant are doing a fabulous job, some of the engineering on the taco really sucks. I'd wait if the Taco is the prime choice. I'd also suggest if you just want a mid size truck to look at the Frontier. The V6 engine is on Wards Ten Best Engines list and it's coupled to the same transmission that's behind the V8 in the Titan. Of the mid sized trucks, it's the best to own but the resale sucks. But none of the mid sized trucks get the fuel mileage of the big trucks, so don't over look the full size trucks. The Ford with the 3.7 V6 300hp engine will get you an easy 17-18mpgs town and 22-24 hiway and that's in a Supercrew. I have no data on the newly announced 4.3 EcoTec in the Silverado but considering the technology, it will probably best the Fords effort. GM has the best engine designs, it's just the rest of the truck that's poorly executed. If money is no object, wait for the 2014 1/2 Dodge diesel. It's going to cost you to buy the first year but the engine is the real deal. Expect 30+ mpgs hiway with the Quadcab 2WD. This engine does not require the urea cleaning cycle and will be as easy to maintain as a gasser. I'm impressed with it enough I might consider one to replace my aging 2004 SCrew 4.6 that gets me 22-24 hiway fuel mileage.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:46 AM

2,060 posts, read 5,004,264 times
I have a 17 year old Tacoma that has well over 250,000 miles on the clock. This truck has been extremely reliable and only required basic maintenance such as a new clutch at 210,000 miles as well as a new starter motor. Other then that its been almost flawless.

The thing about Toyota is that they are very conservative when it comes to their medium and small truck designs. They tend to keep the same designs on these for around 10 years before a new redesign comes out. My 96' Tacoma looks almost identical to a 2004 Tacoma save for a few modest tweaks to the headlights, grill, and tail lights.

But on the other hand these trucks keep their value like you wouldn't believe. Come time to sell it you will most likely get a LOT more for it than a GM, Ford, or even Nissan truck. So despite the long periods between redesigns, there is still a demand for them.

As far as the Colorado, the previous generation was well below par when compared to others in that class. The new one looks promising. I suppose for me personally, would I rather go with a brand and model that has a long proven track record and is generally seen as highly reliable or would I rather go with a model that hasn't had that same standing? I'd probably stick with the Tacoma but then again I own one and am slightly biased.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 PM

9,818 posts, read 13,892,257 times
sliverbox, you have Tacoma made in Japan. New ones are made in IN. That's a different animal.

But I am very interested in Colorado return. I own Silverado, and it's a daily commuter every other day. I am hauling air. Too big. But I am a large guy, and Rangers were out of question. GM dealer told me, that Rangers put Colorados out of business. But now that Ford killed Rangers, niche re-opened.

I can tell y'all one thing - being 6'5'' and very broad shouldered, I found Colorado tried much more well fitting than my Silverado. I was also told to stay away from 4 cyl engines. But V6 and V8 are supposed to be real good ones. I'll let them run out of lease, or start showing at auctions, and will likely get one.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 AM

164 posts, read 851,787 times
My Tacoma is going on 5 yrs old now and its value is still holding very well. My depreciation has been minimal compared to its counterparts. If they do introduce the new engine in 2014 which promises better fuel mileage I may have to consider upgrading myself.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM

2,060 posts, read 5,004,264 times
Quote:
sliverbox, you have Tacoma made in Japan. New ones are made in IN. That's a different animal.
Mine was made in Fremont, Calif, as were most of them. Now they're made in TX. Mine is about 60% domestically produced content. Not sure what they new ones are.

Anyway, gave you my two cents. My Tacoma has been dead-reliable.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,326,478 times
First of all, don't ever give up a manual transmission F-series! They are a dying breed. (1997 F250 5-speed here with 202k)

With that said, I've never been a fan of the 2nd gen Tacoma's "puffy" looking fender flares. It is a small-sized truck that tries to look big and burly, but just looks weird.

The Colorado, on the otherhand, really looks just like a smaller version of the Silverado. It has a much more simplistic exterior. I'd go with the bowtie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive