Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times

Advertisements

I'll take an SRT Viper over the C7 Corvette any day. I'm still bummed about it no longer being a Dodge. That killed my interest in going ahead looking into buying one. Dodge Viper sounds a whole lot better than SRT Viper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I'll take an SRT Viper over the C7 Corvette any day. I'm still bummed about it no longer being a Dodge. That killed my interest in going ahead looking into buying one. Dodge Viper sounds a whole lot better than SRT Viper.
I don't know about that. Dodge screams low rent while SRT screams performance. Dodge products generally are better today than they ever have been but perception takes some time to catch up particularly when you’ve been pumping out junk for so long.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:23 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
See I just don't see the value in the $120K+ Viper over a C7 Corvette that'll be comfortably loaded for $60K or roughly half the price. I think the Viper is an awesome vehicle but I think it's generally overpriced and should be closer to $80K for the base and $100K for the GTS version. I'm betting dollars to doughnuts that the C7 Z06 (Z07?) will likely trounce the Viper on a road course if the estimates of close to, or over, 600 hp are correct.

I also don't exactly understand why Dodge separated the Ram and SRT nomenclatures into separate brand identities. None of the other automobile companies separate their high-performance versions from the actual brand (i.e. Cadillac V, Mercedes AMG, BMW M, Audi S/RS). I'm a bit dumbfounded as to the rationale behind the decision.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
See I just don't see the value in the $120K+ Viper over a C7 Corvette that'll be comfortably loaded for $60K or roughly half the price. I think the Viper is an awesome vehicle but I think it's generally overpriced and should be closer to $80K for the base and $100K for the GTS version. I'm betting dollars to doughnuts that the C7 Z06 (Z07?) will likely trounce the Viper on a road course if the estimates of close to, or over, 600 hp are correct.

I also don't exactly understand why Dodge separated the Ram and SRT nomenclatures into separate brand identities. None of the other automobile companies separate their high-performance versions from the actual brand (i.e. Cadillac V, Mercedes AMG, BMW M, Audi S/RS). I'm a bit dumbfounded as to the rationale behind the decision.
The price difference between the C7 and Viper is explained solely by the Vipers exclusivity. Even prior model years are very rare around here while I see Corvettes on a daily basis. For someone like myself, that exclusivity is not worth $60k. In terms of brand separation the problem that Dodge has that Mercedes, BMW and Audi don't have is that it sells bottom of the barrel cars and work trucks which doesn’t jive well with $120k price tags. Now that I think back, I actually see more Ferrari's on the street than I do Vipers.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I don't know about that. Dodge screams low rent while SRT screams performance. Dodge products generally are better today than they ever have been but perception takes some time to catch up particularly when you’ve been pumping out junk for so long.
It does even the Germans recognize that it sounds better for a brand to have the in-house tuner than an independent brand. SRT doesn't scream anything to me. Dodge is just another brand. My old Mercedes SL AMG was a Mercedes when somebody referred to it as AMG. I corrected them. It is a Mercedes Benz. Mercedes Benz first and AMG second. It is still in the same family as a regular C-Class.

Quote:

I won't buy a Corvette because it's a Corvette but that shows that Chrysler Group/Fiat whatever aren't concerned with Corvette clearly. They have their car and it is there to appease the Mopar boys and to be a top notch sports car. I think it's also meant to be more a GT car than the Corvette. Another reason why Chrysler won't a rat's arse if indeed a Z06 is faster around a track.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
It does even the Germans recognize that it sounds better for a brand to have the in-house tuner than an independent brand. SRT doesn't scream anything to me. Dodge is just another brand. My old Mercedes SL AMG was a Mercedes when somebody referred to it as AMG. I corrected them. It is a Mercedes Benz. Mercedes Benz first and AMG second. It is still in the same family as a regular C-Class.

I won't buy a Corvette because it's a Corvette but that shows that Chrysler Group/Fiat whatever aren't concerned with Corvette clearly. They have their car and it is there to appease the Mopar boys and to be a top notch sports car. I think it's also meant to be more a GT car than the Corvette. Another reason why Chrysler won't a rat's arse if indeed a Z06 is faster around a track.
I hate to break it to you but Chrysler is watching C7 performance very carefully. They know very well that the two are comparable and will be placed side by side by every automotive publication that matters.

Although a C63 AMG is in the same family as a regular C-Class, they are completely different cars in terms of feel. I don't care for the regular C-Class but I very much appreciate the C63. It's the same story with my BMW 530i. Yes it’s a five series but I would be delirious to compare it to a E60 BMW M5 in any way. They might as well be two different cars.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I hate to break it to you but Chrysler is watching C7 performance very carefully. They know very well that the two are comparable and will be placed side by side by every automotive publication that matters.
They recognize it as a competitor but to think they are on Corvette watch is overreacting. Especially not with a car as few in numbers like the Viper.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM

The Viper has a strange problem. It's expensive because its exclusive but it's exclusive because so few people are willing to spend $120k on a Dodge.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
The Viper has a strange problem. It's expensive because its exclusive but it's exclusive because so few people are willing to spend $120k on a Dodge.
The Viper occupies a strange market position. It isn't cheap enough to be considered a value, and its price puts it squarely in competition with more up-market supercars.

For between $100K and $140K you can buy a:

SRT Viper GTS
Audi R8
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Corvette ZR1 (or the new iteration)
Maserati GranTurismo
Porsche 911 GT3

I think the Viper is competing for a very small market which is part reason for the exclusivity of it. I'd personally rather have an Audi R8 once you start getting to that price level.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
The Viper occupies a strange market position. It isn't cheap enough to be considered a value, and its price puts it squarely in competition with more up-market supercars.

For between $100K and $140K you can buy a:

SRT Viper GTS
Audi R8
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Corvette ZR1 (or the new iteration)
Maserati GranTurismo
Porsche 911 GT3

I think the Viper is competing for a very small market which is part reason for the exclusivity of it. I'd personally rather have an Audi R8 once you start getting to that price level.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive