Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

1969 GTS, 340 4 barrel, dual cams, carbs, exhaust

Paid $800.00 all on my own (my first loan), I was 16 and won quite a few races in that car

PS -- I'm Female
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:08 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
What was your first car?, and Did you pay for it on your own or parents? Also please tell the truth!
My first car was a 1950 4dr Ford sedan, flathead 60 hp V8 3 speed stick shift on the column, I bought with money ($50) I earned washing dishes at the local cafe in 1962.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 PM

297 posts, read 512,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
First car I was allowed to drive on my own and borrow here and there was my mom's 1976 Monte Carlo.

First car that was MINE was a 1981 Camaro. I was 16 or 17 and it was a gift from my father who was into car restoration. I didn't pay for it but he told me when I got it that he wasn't paying for anything else from that point forward so maintenance, repairs, etc. were on me. He did give in and fix that big dent that just "mysteriously" materialized while the car was parked in the high school parking lot though. I doubt he believed a word of that story!

I had an 81 Camaro

First car ................... well, went looking forever at cars and my dad would say why? It was some junk that I could afford that he would have to work on every day he was off. He finally said, there is an 81 Ford F150 out there, DRIVE IT! Biggest POS ever! Graduated from high school and bought a 2 year old 1981 Camaro with 45k miles on it. It was bright friggin yellow! Got hit 3 times in that car and heard every time, "I did not see you". REALLY??!?!?!? It should be illegal for me to have headlights on this bright arse car!
I paid for the Camaro: insurance, gas, maint., etc. All while also paying for my own college.

Two years and I traded the yellow thing in for a GREY Buick Skyhawk. That only lasted a year or so then got a dark red Pontiac Grand Am. Married and traded that in for an Isuzu Rodeo when baby #1 was on the way. Two Suburbans later (still have Suburban #2) and I'm now tooling around in a BMW 650i Convertible

As for "mommies car" comments earlier on a post. I did that with my now 18 year old. I opted to buy ME a car when she was in the 5th grade to save miles on the Suburban. I wanted a BMW and got me a nice little 325i. 6 years later with the thing all paid off it became her car after she had to drive a $1000 beater for 6 months. Last car she will ever get from us and at least it is dependable, we know everything about the car and it will last her thru college and med school. She is own her own after that but will have a good dependable car to trade in some day.

Sad thing is............. the now 14 year old thinks she gets my current BMW. Uh! NOOOOO! Honey, you gettin that 98 Chevy 7Z1 sitting out there

Also have a slew of cars sitting in the stable that the kiddos do not get to drive. Mine is the 68 Camaro Convertible. Hubs has the 69 Camaro RS/SS, Mustang CJ, Audi Q5 and my old Suburban as his DD. Sold the 81 911 and Cayenne Turbo.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
My first car was a 1950 4dr Ford sedan, flathead 60 hp V8 3 speed stick shift on the column, I bought with money ($50) I earned washing dishes at the local cafe in 1962.
Would love to see a pic of it! 60hP? Really? These days $50 won't fill the gas tank

Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
I had an 81 Camaro

First car ................... well, went looking forever at cars and my dad would say why? It was some junk that I could afford that he would have to work on every day he was off. He finally said, there is an 81 Ford F150 out there, DRIVE IT! Biggest POS ever! Graduated from high school and bought a 2 year old 1981 Camaro with 45k miles on it. It was bright friggin yellow! Got hit 3 times in that car and heard every time, "I did not see you". REALLY??!?!?!? It should be illegal for me to have headlights on this bright arse car!
I paid for the Camaro: insurance, gas, maint., etc. All while also paying for my own college.

Two years and I traded the yellow thing in for a GREY Buick Skyhawk. That only lasted a year or so then got a dark red Pontiac Grand Am. Married and traded that in for an Isuzu Rodeo when baby #1 was on the way. Two Suburbans later (still have Suburban #2) and I'm now tooling around in a BMW 650i Convertible

As for "mommies car" comments earlier on a post. I did that with my now 18 year old. I opted to buy ME a car when she was in the 5th grade to save miles on the Suburban. I wanted a BMW and got me a nice little 325i. 6 years later with the thing all paid off it became her car after she had to drive a $1000 beater for 6 months. Last car she will ever get from us and at least it is dependable, we know everything about the car and it will last her thru college and med school. She is own her own after that but will have a good dependable car to trade in some day.

Sad thing is............. the now 14 year old thinks she gets my current BMW. Uh! NOOOOO! Honey, you gettin that 98 Chevy 7Z1 sitting out there

Also have a slew of cars sitting in the stable that the kiddos do not get to drive. Mine is the 68 Camaro Convertible. Hubs has the 69 Camaro RS/SS, Mustang CJ, Audi Q5 and my old Suburban as his DD. Sold the 81 911 and Cayenne Turbo.
I'd love to have my old 81 Camaro back but I'd love a 69 even more! My brother had one in "Champagne".

I was supposed to get my Dad's 1964 1/2 Mustang convertible he bought off the lot brand new, when I graduated high school (1989), but I dropped out in my junior year. He didn't care that I got my GED and started classes at the community college even before I would have graduated. The deal was, I'd get it when I graduated HS and I didn't hold up my end of the bargain! It stayed in his garage until he died in 2000 and ended up going to one of my stepmother's grown children. Pffft.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
1947 Studebaker Champion, my dad's fishing car, handed down to me when was 18, for my first summer job after first year in college.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8290/7...c0e590dd72.jpg

Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 PM

25 posts, read 73,475 times
My first vehicle was a 97 jeep wrangler base 4 cylinder stick shift with no radio or AC. It was $14K and I used my school loans to pay the down payment and the first few months payment. Had a high interest rate 9.75% I believe. Luckily I was able to find a job right after graduation. I sold it a few years later to my bro who still drives it 14 yrs later. He added big wheels to make it look nicer. I miss my jeep!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callofdutyplayer View Post
you rich you got a Cadillac as your first car? that your mommy bought i doubt you have a Corvette or escalade anyways like you say.
What was your first car CODplayer? Why does having a Cadillac make him rich? Who cares if mommy bought his first car....MANY parents buy their kid their first car, usually under the condition that the kid has a job...
I wasnt that lucky but I had help, my brother let me borrow 900 for my car, that I had to pay back of course.

There must be something with people that go to college and drive... because my buddy that was in college for like 6 years(mechanical engineer) lol.....mustve had 15 P.O.S. cars in his college career lol

You started this thread, you get responses..why get butthurt if someone might have more than you

If you did a bit of math here, SpeedyAZ was 16 in 1996, so now hes somewhere in his 30s. Him being a college grad, with that list of cars, seems perfectly reasonable.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 PM

567 posts, read 1,012,070 times
An '86 C10 Silverado. Loved that truck. Parents paid for it. $3500.

Bench seat was great when it came to dates.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times

A 283 bored to 292, WCFB carb, Duntov 30/30 cam, Mallory dual point ignition, 40,000 volt coil, Hookers, Edelbrock single plane intake, any thing that stood still long enough got chromed under the hood. Lincoln Zephyr transmission, custom clutch 10", enclosed driveshaft, 40 Ford 1 ton truck rear axle, 3.78 gears, 2" drop front axle, scavenger pipes, nerf bars rear, Motorola Golden Voice stereo on rear deck, Volkwagen bucket seats, all gauges across the dash. It would turn in the high 10's if I did my part. On race day saw a cold box get hooked up to the intake....as in a box with intake runners and dry ice surrounding the tubes. It would pull one wheel most of the way down the track. I was 14 at the time. My dad thought I was nutz until mom came home from trading her 66 Le Mans in for GTO and wanted to go racing. We fixed him up a storming rust bucket 1958 Chevy wagon. For a wagon, it was incredible. My mom was absolutely psycho behind the wheel of the GTO on and off the track. Ah yeah, the 60's were a great time to be a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive