Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Ideally, the car would have a manual transmission. And I would expect that 17 year old to check the oil and coolant levels, plus check his tires for tread depth and air pressure on a weekly basis. Make sure that he knows when the oil needs to be changed in his car. I think that those are all very good habits to instill into all owners of cars.

I also feel that AWD is not the best choice for a new driver. Good tires, and then good snow tires on a 2WD car is best. Better driving habits are learned on 2WD cars. I read of so many bad accidents with people, including young people in AWD cars and SUVs. I think that when someone drives an AWD vehicle, they have a false sense of road security. Also, try to find this driving skills course being given near you and enroll your son in it.

Street Survival Teen Driving School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 03:27 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Crazy advice ... give your son a car that has lesser nasty weather safety and capability to avoid being overconfident ....

If the standard of the available technology is readily available and affordable, why deny that level of safety to a young driver?

Having put many thousands of miles and over 40 years of commuting in the Colorado mountains (and the Rocky Mountain Region) in bad weather with BMW 2002's, MB diesels and gas powered, Peugeot Diesels, Volvo's ... and a host of other cars, all safely and reliably, never with an accident and only stuck once in all those years .... I wouldn't trade any of them today for the Audi Quattro's or Subaru AWD Wagons I'm driving more recently in the same road conditions.

There's simply no comparison between the safety and control that the modern AWD cars have over the prior well-balanced RWD designs in adverse conditions. That includes heavy rainfall/hydroplaning conditions as well as black ice or snowpack.

While I personally prefer a manual transmission car because I like the control and the fun of being involved with the operation of the car ... and I learned to drive with a manual transmission .... there's little advantage to it over an automatic in todays' transportation cars. Even the folks who absolutely depend upon getting places in all conditions (police, fire, emergency, taxi, utility service fleets, etc) use automatics ... as does the military in their vehicles, too.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:29 AM
miu

The O.P. lives in NC. Why would her son need AWD? AWD is not the end all answer to having a safe car. I live up in MA and have yet to see a need to have to own an AWD to be safe in the winter. My 5-speed Civic and a set of Nokian Hakka snow tires have been a winning combination for years. On the other hand, people in AWD SUV's and Subarus die all the time in accidents much more often in the news than 2WD cars.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:49 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Well, you sound like awesome parents to even buy your kid a car. Right now I'm 41 and would LOVE someone to actually care enough to get me a car.

My parents were not the type to allow us any freedom. My brother, yeah, he had cars from age 17--us (sister and I) nope..no way.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:05 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Any high school kid who isn't thrilled with any decently running car in decent shape that his parents give to him should have that car sold right out from beneath his ungrateful ass.
agreed. i got my first car @ 19 and i'm paying EVERYTHING on it. i'd probably slap that kid too.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Almost forgot to mention.... I think a Scion tC would mak a great first car. It has very good handling and braking (both important from a safety standpoint), reasonably fun to drive but not too much power, and "young" styling without being tacky, with tons of customizable options if that's something he might want to take up somewhere down the line. Not to mention Toyota quality and reliability.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:01 AM
miu

A Scion tC? Not really. There was a discussion on another board about how excessively expensive front end damage was to fix on that car. Just the way certain things were lined up underneath the hood.

Since when does a 17 year deserve a new car?

Old 10-31-2007, 10:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
That's what insurance is for. And where did I say they should buy it new? And in any case, whether he deserves a new car or not is the parents' business, don't you think?

Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
i would say the honda civic or the honda fit both are safe and easy on the gas. You could also but the fit new to have peace of mind. The safety features are real good, and young people love this car.

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-31-2007 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-31-2007, 10:42 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
I've been both the lucky recipient of a new car ('73 Super Beetle) from my parents and I followed suit with my daugher ('92 Toyota Celica). I'm assuming safe and reliable are two top items on the list along with price and regular maintenance costs. The 20 somethings in my neighborhood now seem to prefer the Honda Element type vehicles. Sporty looking, cheap to buy and maintain and definitely retro cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive