Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,467,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
No. It has 8000rpm fuel cutoff, but redline is about 6600rpm

And peak torque at 2400rpm and peak power at 6000rpm

Since its light kerb weight, the car gets up n goes with light revs, never needs more then 2500rpm in most situations.
Cars with light kerb weights run better and more reliably when run as much as possible at higher RPMs. You really should do your best to keep yours between 6600 and 8000 as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Sometimes I need the acceleration and I kind of floor it, but it goes to about 4500rpm and I feel like I'm destroying the car..

Is it bad to floor and WOT the car every once in a while?
Will it hurt your car to floor it every now and then? No. Driving it at or near redline all the time, especially under load, won't do it any favors though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I do wonder if I should redline my newer car occasionally since its GDi and more prone to carbon buildup.
Redlining it won't really help. Direct-injection motors are more prone to carbon buildup because the gasoline additives that are designed to prevent or reduce buildup never make it past the valves since the fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber. Some DI motors are more prone to carbon buildup than others; if yours is one of the more prone motor, seafoam or similar product through the intake manifold every few thousand miles is a better preventative maintenance approach.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:59 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,515,370 times
It depends, I would say that a car lasts longer if you don't exceed 50% of the red line on a regular basis. If the car hasn't been redlined in a while it'd also a bad idea to start doing it all of a sudden. It also depends on the car and the history. Some cars engines redlines are set low compared to what they can really do to to maximize engine life. If you don't need to be heavy footed then don't be. How deep is your wallet? Pretty deep? Redline away. Shallow? Take it easy.

Now this is an extreme example.

Even expert maintained newish performance cars have their limit. I had a 2001 E46 M3 US spec with 6 speed manual with 26,000 miles on it.

I went to a BMW drivers training course at Spa-Francorchamps when I was stationed in Germany. From 9am to 12 PM I was doing laps. I had finished a hot lap and decided to pick up a friend and go right back out. Well, I started out and noticed on the first corners my brakes didn't feel right and neither did my tires. The whole car felt funny. Then the motor check icon came on half way through the lap and the engine temp sky rocketed. So I slowed down a bit and babied it back to the pits. When I came in I noticed the engine was making a high-pitched sucking sound and sounded like marbles were in the engine. I drove it home to Germany slow and easy and took it in for service the next morning. The VANOS valve system had failed (I broke it), the radiator had over-pressureized. The brakes were completely shot the rear tires were almost gone. $3,000 to fix the VANOS, $1000 to repair the coolant system, $700 for rear tires. $2000 for new brakes on all corners. $500 in misc parts.

I wasn't the only one to have problems that day though some Porsche guys were having troubles with the clutch slipping.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:37 AM

16,548 posts, read 17,312,990 times
This 1953 1.5 litre V16 car seems to be doing okay!

BRM V16 Follyfilms - YouTube

Old 04-07-2013, 04:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
A 1.5L V16? Did they use thimbles for cylinder sleeves?

Old 04-07-2013, 04:49 AM

16,548 posts, read 17,312,990 times
Yes.

It is truly the noisiest car I've ever heard!

I have seen one being driven by a former F1 World Champion.

Brm v16 - YouTube

Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 AM

5,654 posts, read 5,133,723 times
Is flooring a car bad???

No, no, no, no....... it's good, sooo gooooood.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,606,224 times
I seem to redline my car multiple times a day. It's an absolute dog when trying to pass people unless I do so. When I do so it's....slightly less of a dog.

It's fun winding a car out periodically, but I hate having to redline the engine all the time. Though it's held up well after 100k miles of doing exactly that, I have to say....

Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 AM

2,341 posts, read 11,971,078 times
Quote:
Sometimes I need the acceleration and I kind of floor it, but it goes to about 4500rpm and I feel like I'm destroying the car..

You're certainly not doing your car any favors by accelerating hard, especially if you couple that with all around rough driving.

But is it going to automatically bust the crank, or blow out your tranny? No.

It sounds as though you want to drive your car hard. Go ahead. It might catch up with you in the long run, but chances are - if anything happens - it will have been worth it.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:56 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,342,122 times
Quote:

It has 8000rpm fuel cutoff, but redline is about 6600rpm

The engineers who designed the engine decided that (along with the lawyers and bean counters) the engine in your vehicle will hold a sustained 6600RPM for their design life expectancy given that you do the proper maintenance (oil, coolant, etc). That life expectancy is normally measured in hours, but I did the math once and hours to miles @ 55mph was something like 650,000 miles for the engine in my car.

On top of that, car engines are ridiculously robust when compared to motorcycle engines, and especially those used in sporting motorcycles. I've ridden several with 14~16k Redlines and if you were below 10k, you weren't going anywhere and Fast! Took once of those engines to 120k miles before selling it to a vintage racer who went about winning races with it. Never did anything more than normal maintenance, never had any Reason to. Anecdotal, I know, but it's backed up by the manufactures also (I'm a factory trained/certified MC mechanic).

The only caution I'd advise is to not doing that until the car is Throughly warmed (~20 minutes of Driving), and if you have a turbo to make sure and drive with a light-foot for ~5 minutes after/right before turning the engine off. You are doing no damage to the engine that's outside the realm of "normal".

Keep Calm, and Carry On.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive