Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 PM

359 posts, read 779,197 times

Advertisements

Get a 4x4 truck and try to take the road less taken. I live din california for 8 years -and took my AWD equipped truck a whole lot of places.

Ground clearance helped a lot.

I could easily take it off the road - and get back on road without worrying abt damaging any side trim.

If you have the budget, then go for the truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 04:13 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
After getting stuck in the snow twice in Denver while driving a 2WD/RWD pickup truck, I'll never go back to RWD or even FWD.

My situation is similar to yours. I live in Phoenix where 4WD is not ever needed but when I go up to Snowbowl or Brianhead to go snowboarding, which is typically about 10 times a year, the last thing I want to do is get out of my car in 15 degree weather to put chains/cables on, not to mention the fact that you can only drive a maximum speed of 30mph with chains/cables on your wheels.

Just get the AWD. You wont regret it. A CRV, RAV4 or one of the Subaru's should be sufficient and each of those will get decent gas mileage.

Last edited by Scottay; 04-09-2013 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 04:23 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
Get a Taurus SHO and you can have fun and be able to get through the snow and gravel with its AWD.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM

494 posts, read 1,916,614 times
I was considering a Acura TL SH-AWD... 305hp with the semi-automatic transmission, but the problem is cargo. It does not have fold down rear seats (a RIDICULOUS OMISSION to an otherwise great vehicle). I forgot to mention that I also go mountain biking and bicycling often so I need to take a bike inside the vehicle (so I can lock it inside) as well.

I hear you Scottay, I've been in similar situation, although only on an occasion or two where 4WD/AWD would've been very beneficial to have.

The last time I went hiking was to a trail that could be reached only by driving on very rough roads, I currently drive a Nissan Frontier so it didn't even blink on that trail but I saw a few Honda Civics driven by very brave souls - I would've not bought a car on this particular stretch but surprisingly the cars made it but I am guessing it could've turned out bad.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
I was considering a Acura TL SH-AWD... 305hp with the semi-automatic transmission, but the problem is cargo. It does not have fold down rear seats (a RIDICULOUS OMISSION to an otherwise great vehicle). I forgot to mention that I also go mountain biking and bicycling often so I need to take a bike inside the vehicle (so I can lock it inside) as well.

I hear you Scottay, I've been in similar situation, although only on an occasion or two where 4WD/AWD would've been very beneficial to have.

The last time I went hiking was to a trail that could be reached only by driving on very rough roads, I currently drive a Nissan Frontier so it didn't even blink on that trail but I saw a few Honda Civics driven by very brave souls - I would've not bought a car on this particular stretch but surprisingly the cars made it but I am guessing it could've turned out bad.
Another reason to get the Taurus SHO. It has 365hp, folding seats and about 20 cubic feet of trunk space. You'll have no trouble fitting a bike (or two) in there.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
I live 8 miles from pavement on a kind-of gravel road. Our driveway is 1/2 mile of pasture trail.
While we have a 4x4 pickup, the vast majority of the time I'm driving a FWD car, even in mud and snow. The pickup is to pull trailers or haul loads.
I've lived in the boonies for 20 years and have NEVER gotten stuck with FWD (though I have dragged bottom a few times lol)

Something I've noticed: City people tend to have AWD vehicles while rural people (and I mean REAL rural, not your acreage/ranchette types at the city limits) tend to have FWD...

If you WANT AWD, go for it. Have fun. But no, you don't really NEED AWD.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 PM

406 posts, read 1,038,953 times
Quote:
So I am trying to seriously evaluate if I really *need* an SUV or a 4WD/AWD instead of just settling for a car or a RWD/FWD.

I live in Southern California but frequent the mountains during summer - perhaps 4-5 trips during the winter season for snowboarding. Occasionally I may go to mammoth or Tahoe. I also am into hiking so sometimes have to drive to trails that are reachable only by driving on gravel or very rough roads that require high ground clearance but these types of trails are a rare occasion rather than frequent.

Given this info do you think that AWD/4WD is worth the extra expense? What about an SUV? Is a car sufficient for the 10% of the time I would need the extra space or traction?

AWD won't help you off road. 4WD could be expensive to maintain and repair. Get a body on frame truck with 2WD like a GMC Yukon, Chevy Tahoe, or Ford Expedition.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:58 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post

Just get the AWD. You wont regret it. A CRV, RAV4 or one of the Subaru's should be sufficient and each of those will get decent gas mileage.
Yeah but those CUVs aren't any better than a car once the O.P. gets to 4x4 backcountry roads and trails. He will need a high-clearance 4x4 truck or SUV.

My suggestion: get a used 4Runner. One of the most durable, capable, and comfortable on-road/off-road vehicles ever made.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:

Well, in another Acura omission, the TSX wagon doesn't have awd.

You can always get a Subaru Legacy Wagon or an Outback. There's also the Volvo wagons, and more costly, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

You currently drive a Frontier, so a Pathfinder could be an option, but its mpg is low 20s combined.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
So I am trying to seriously evaluate if I really *need* an SUV or a 4WD/AWD instead of just settling for a car or a RWD/FWD.

I live in Southern California but frequent the mountains during summer - perhaps 4-5 trips during the winter season for snowboarding. Occasionally I may go to mammoth or Tahoe. I also am into hiking so sometimes have to drive to trails that are reachable only by driving on gravel or very rough roads that require high ground clearance but these types of trails are a rare occasion rather than frequent.

Given this info do you think that AWD/4WD is worth the extra expense? What about an SUV? Is a car sufficient for the 10% of the time I would need the extra space or traction?
No one "needs" a 4 X 4 or AWD. The answer to extra traction is ,and always has been, a good set of chains.

Way, way, way cheaper , and better, than any 4 X 4 or AWD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive