Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM

494 posts, read 1,916,614 times

Advertisements

went and checked one out today... did not drive it though. I was really surprised that the build quality of the vehicle was rather poor. Panels did not align, plastics were shockingly cheap looking and a lot of the car looked rough for the $30k asking price. I have seen better quality materials used in a Toyota Corolla econobox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
how about the 2014 Mazda CX-5? Fully loaded for the AWD model it's a hair over $30,000 for the grand touring which comes with leather and the works. It has a 184hp/185 ft-lb engine, 0-60 is about 8 seconds I believe - not the fastest around but decent for an SUV. Towing is 2000 lbs which is again decent. Ground clearance at 8.5" is great and so is the mileage at 24mpg city and 30mpg hwy. I think it looks good in blue too
It does not have the ability to handle extreme winter conditions like a Subaru. The ground clearance is a bit less as well.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:19 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
Put it this way. You can certainly get a unibody AWD car or CUV, and hit all those light trailheads you already go to hike from. OR, you can get a body-on-frame 4x4 truck or SUV and explore the far parts of the backcountry that most cars cannot get to.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:36 PM

219 posts, read 436,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
So I am trying to seriously evaluate if I really *need* an SUV or a 4WD/AWD instead of just settling for a car or a RWD/FWD.

I live in Southern California but frequent the mountains during summer - perhaps 4-5 trips during the winter season for snowboarding. Occasionally I may go to mammoth or Tahoe. I also am into hiking so sometimes have to drive to trails that are reachable only by driving on gravel or very rough roads that require high ground clearance but these types of trails are a rare occasion rather than frequent.

Given this info do you think that AWD/4WD is worth the extra expense? What about an SUV? Is a car sufficient for the 10% of the time I would need the extra space or traction?
No to the SUV. For the few times you might need it, not worth the extra expense. Think of the poorer mileage you'd be getting driving it around town. That costs, too. FWD are good in light snowy conditions and can handle rough roads, I had one in Colorado and it was fine. I'd get an AWD before I'd spring for an SUV.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:39 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Put it this way. You can certainly get a unibody AWD car or CUV, and hit all those light trailheads you already go to hike from. OR, you can get a body-on-frame 4x4 truck or SUV and explore the far parts of the backcountry that most cars cannot get to.
The jeep Cherokee XJ was a Uni-body SUV and one of the best Off-Road Mid-Size SUVs every made I put it up there with the only Mid-size SUV that was as capable off-road as the Full-Size K-5 Blazer and Ford Bronco but it is nt really a SUV to do any major towing with but otherwise it will take you places that the new CUVs will not even get out of a some minor snow or loose gravel.

JEEP Cherokee XJ off road build UP 35's SICK mud hill climb rock crawl flex washington WATCH!!! - YouTube
I mean sure it is a Uni-Body but it is one SUV that is one of the original SUVs along with the later relsed First Gen Ford Explorer to kick off the SUV craze but the Jeep was a 4x4 first and the original Explorer was more luxurious and alot less capable and the Jeep 4.0HO I-6 was built to last.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,711 times
Thinking about buying a 2011 Ford Explorer with FWD not AWD or 4WD. Live in Western PA and winters aren't really that bad. Do you think that the explorer with FWD can handle snow. Also the explorer has something called traction control. Will that help in the snow. thanks

Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
The first time you get stuck or need the ground clearance, you are gonna wish you had paid the extra money for something other than a fwd car.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:01 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
*chuckle*
Yeah, and the first time you get your 4x4 buried in mud up to the axles and have to call a tractor you're gonna think, I need to use more common sense when choosing my paths.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 8,491 times
i live in an area that gets multiple feet of snow each winter and i drive a mini cooper. i have never had trouble getting to or from work. 4WD AWD is just a security badge people slap on vehicles to make mom feel happy that her kids are safe when its really not all that useful. dont waste your money.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,718,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriouslywtf View Post
i live in an area that gets multiple feet of snow each winter and i drive a mini cooper. i have never had trouble getting to or from work. 4WD AWD is just a security badge people slap on vehicles to make mom feel happy that her kids are safe when its really not all that useful. dont waste your money.
Do they plow and salt the roads where you live? I'm pretty sure your mini would get stuck and you'd be SOL if you tried to drive it up to a remote ski resort like Crested Butte or tried to drive any other remote mountain road in January that doesn't get plowed.

I love my AWD CRV because of the very reasons the OP pointed out. About half the time I go boarding at the resorts in Arizona and Utah the road leading up to the resort requires chains, AWD or 4WD. Well, I'm not driving 20mph, which is typically the maximum recommended speed for driving with chains, for 30 miles not to mention the fact that driving with chains for any length of time destroys a vehicles tires. With so many reliable and gas efficient AWD and 4WD vehicles on the market, dealing with the hassle of putting on, driving with and then taking off tire chains just doesn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive