Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should all vehicles be built with backup cameras?
Yes 40 35.71%
No 72 64.29%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times

Advertisements

They are great to have, but mandated? No. Been thankful for the camera on the Raptor many a time...especially when hooking up a trailer. Have one on the R8.. Which to me, is pretty silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 02:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Default Are mandatory backup cameras overkill?

Well this seems like a convenient spot to pick up where a recent mod-closed thread on the same subject left off.

There may be something to this post from that thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Frankly, this seems like overkill. I really wonder about the added utility of a backup camera over backup sonar. The sonar seems to do just as much to avoid hitting something you can't see without the distraction of looking at a display on the dash instead of looking behind you.
Well Cnynrat, here's an industry observer's take on that very same thought process:

Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I am sorry that you run over your kid. That doesn't mean that everybody else should be forced to pay the extra bucks for not paying attention to what "you" are doing.

It was mentioned that $100-$150 would cover the cost. That is crap. For vehicles that do not have a monitor already installed, if the manufacturer is now going to be required to install, you know they will add the features they have been wanting to add. They won't simply put in a back up monitor, they'll add GPS, Trip computer, Menu driven controls, etc. I would be that the average cost will go up by $800.

For cars that already have the backup camera installed, they will also drive the price up simply because they can.

Some people are saying that it is an added safety feature. Yup, instead of looking out windows, checking mirrors, now people will be glued to that little screen. Kind of like reading Txt messages when you should be paying attention.

Just because you are an inept driver that don't know how to check around your vehicle and watch for people, doesn't mean everybody is. Children are a responsibility that you should be taking care of. Don't make the vehicle a nanny that watches for children. Next, you'll see a lawsuit because the camera didn't watch out. Here, hold this hot cup of coffee, would you?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:54 AM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Here is a novel idea, looks like a GPS is required. $149.99.

Magellan Wireless Back-up Camera

Old 04-09-2014, 12:33 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
I appreciate and like my backup camera. However, I think the choice should left to the consumer.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Have them on my van. Require no;optional yes. From what I have seen too many depend on them which I have seen cause near misses from blind spots.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:21 PM

861 posts, read 1,335,242 times
My Civic comes with standard rear view camera. I love it. My dogs love to walk behind my car when I'm backing up so I avoided hitting them a few times.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
I'm in favor of mandating this, but I'm actually against mandated seat belt laws. The camera could save others lives, those who had nothing to do with your bad driving or lack of diligence. But if you don't put a seat belt on yourself, it's you yourself that pays the price.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:11 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Should all cars be required to have a backup camera?

While auto rule lingers 'under review,' death toll grows - CNN.com
My 2011 Camaro has a detector/sensor that beeps when there's something in the proximity of the rear bumper and to me that's more than adequate, I don't need a backup camera.

I don't want to see any child or adult hurt in an incident involving a driver while backing up, bu adding backup cameras and the screen on the dashboard is more garbage that adds to the price of automobiles. It wouldn't be needed if people used extra caution.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:12 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
A detector isn't the same as a camera. A detector is only going to tell you if you're about to hit something, and that only in a certain plane usually. A camera lets you SEE.

Now, the only reason we might actually NEED the things now is because car decks have risen so high that you just can't see as much out the rear view as you used to, and it's gotten to the point of dangerous. Now, they COULD just madate that you be able to see a certain amount behind the car or something, but let's face it, governments like gadgets,and they like to mandate them.

That being said, most of the industry is ahead of them on this one, and cameras are available in most models, and standard in several.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive