Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 PM

589 posts, read 1,214,700 times

Advertisements

Looking for a suv as a daily driver but fun to drive however I don't want to spend thousands on constant repairs. My friend is a mechanic so he can get me a good deal on labor rates if need be. The research ive done online comes up with mixed reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,592,897 times
with German luxury cars, it's the parts that are expensive. You can easily spend $1500~$2000+ annually on repairs once it gets close to the 100k mile mark. If it were a weekend ride i'd say go for it, but used daily it's going to cost you in the long run. You can probably get similar model yr Highlander's for the same amount and have some piece of mind knowing that the repairs won't bankrupt you down the road.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 PM

21,599 posts, read 24,739,140 times
Forester maybe.

For FWD, the V6 Rav4 isn't bad. It's not what I'd all fun, but it isn't a CR-V or Escape that trips over its own feet.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,542,495 times
With German luxury cars, it's the labor thats expensive. Parts are cheap. Also keep in mind that the X3 was not built by BMW so quality isn't the same.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM

832 posts, read 2,509,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
With German luxury cars, it's the labor thats expensive. Parts are cheap. Also keep in mind that the X3 was not built by BMW so quality isn't the same.
Agree about the labor cost, that's why I try to do as much myself as possible.

Not sure what you mean about the X3 though, are you implying that because it's built in SC that the quality is not good?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,542,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
Agree about the labor cost, that's why I try to do as much myself as possible.

Not sure what you mean about the X3 though, are you implying that because it's built in SC that the quality is not good?
No, its not the location, its who owns the factory. X3 was manufactured by Magna Steyr in Graz, Austria under contract from BMW. This same factory manufactures, Jeeps, Chryslers (for the EU market), some times Saabs, Mini, you know whatever car makers either can't find capacity for in their own factories or can be contracted out cheaply. It was certainly not manufactured in South Carolina. The second gen X3 is built by BMW in a BMW factory. They learned their lesson after the E83 X3 fiasco.

Last edited by evergraystate; 04-23-2013 at 10:57 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 03:16 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,002,933 times
You will likely spend a lot of either time or money on repairs to for a 7-8 year old BMW. I just got rid of one (3 series) because the repairs were taking more time than I had to do them. If you're able to DIY the work and have time for it, they're ok cost wise and most of the oft-replaced parts are reasonable. But they'll be a lot more maintenence and repair intensive than a similar age Japanese crossover.

FWIW, I came to the conclusion buying a newer CPO with 4 years left of warranty was a better deal for me now that I no longer have the free time to work on cars.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:10 PM

326 posts, read 666,041 times
No first hand experience driving one but I think the first gen X3 is said to have a harsh ride, quite limited interior space and cheap looking interior materials. I wouldn't get one and I am a BMW guy.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,002,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
You will likely spend a lot of either time or money on repairs to for a 7-8 year old BMW. I just got rid of one (3 series) because the repairs were taking more time than I had to do them. If you're able to DIY the work and have time for it, they're ok cost wise and most of the oft-replaced parts are reasonable. But they'll be a lot more maintenence and repair intensive than a similar age Japanese crossover.

FWIW, I came to the conclusion buying a newer CPO with 4 years left of warranty was a better deal for me now that I no longer have the free time to work on cars.

I drive an '06 X3, it was a CPO car. Other than routine maintainence, the only thing I had done under the extended warranty was have the drivers seat replaced due to a malfunctioning butt warmer.

Since then, I have had my mechanic replace the front struts.

I do like the car, it carries 4 sets of golf clubs easily (can't happen in husbands M-3) and has been a very reliable car. I agree with the above, CPO is the way to go!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:44 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,138,644 times
Look into a first gen RDX, it is a CUV and quite sporty with SH-AWD. The turbo is very thirsty though. I bought one as a DD, it is a Honda (Acura, whatever) and it doesn't seem to have any major problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI