Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:45 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I'm guessing he means an American branded car that has the majority of the profits going back to its parent company in the US. I'm guessing you knew that too.
What's more important? Working-class jobs, or Executive-level profits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 09:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Yup. Hyundai and Mercedes have done more to benefit my state (Alabama) than the domestic companies ever have.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM

844 posts, read 1,656,583 times
What about Japanese brand cars that were made in USA?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:57 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
There are lots of jobs of all levels along with other support industries involved with bringing a car from raw materials in the ground to sitting in your driveway. If you think its just six and seven figure execs and assembly line workers you have lots to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yup. Hyundai and Mercedes have done more to benefit my state (Alabama) than the domestic companies ever have.
Yours and my tax dollars were spent to lure them here. So I guess the tired "Government Motors" epithet can be applied to them. I haven't received my free Sonata or ML yet, have you? Actually I'd rather them give me a Equus or CL65 even though they aren't made here. We shouldn't let facts get in the way of Internet hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
What about Japanese brand cars that were made in USA?
I've owned a couple. They were even made by UAW auto workers. They still benefit the parent company back in Japan more then anything. And if the economy ever shifts or market conditions change they'll be the first ones to close before any Japanese autoworker gets laid off. Mazda pulled out of Flat Rock and Toyota pulled out of NUMMI.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:14 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Neither. Buying the vehicle I want, regardless of where the corporate HQ is located, matters the most to me.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Yours and my tax dollars were spent to lure them here. So I guess the tired "Government Motors" epithet can be applied to them. I haven't received my free Sonata or ML yet, have you? Actually I'd rather them give me a Equus or CL65 even though they aren't made here. We shouldn't let facts get in the way of Internet hype.

I've owned a couple. They were even made by UAW auto workers. They still benefit the parent company back in Japan more then anything. And if the economy ever shifts or market conditions change they'll be the first ones to close before any Japanese autoworker gets laid off. Mazda pulled out of Flat Rock and Toyota pulled out of NUMMI.
Did Alabama pay these companies to locate there? Or did they simply offer tax incentives? Have you analyzed the economic benefit these companies have generated for Alabama? Why would you expect to get an Equus or CL65? Ford/GM/Chrysler don't give away cars in Michigan either.

Interesting that you mention Mazda/Flat Rock and Toyota/Nummi. Both were joint factories in partnership with Ford and GM respectively. Those partnerships eventually died. Ford sold most of its interest in Mazda, and has steadily reduced its reliance on Mazda chassis/powertrains. So why should Mazda continue building cars in Flat Rock when there are no similar Ford products built there? The Nummi plant is now a Tesla plant. Toyota moved Corolla production to Ontario.

Flat Rock is still operating as a Ford factory - even more so than before.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:39 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,757,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Did Alabama pay these companies to locate there? Or did they simply offer tax incentives? Have you analyzed the economic benefit these companies have generated for Alabama? Why would you expect to get an Equus or CL65? Ford/GM/Chrysler don't give away cars in Michigan either.
Why should they have been offered anything? Why do they get credits? Free market capitalism right? Thats what all the anti D3 types yell when they rally against GM and Chrysler they also ask about free cars. I thought it was clear that I was being trite.

Quote:
Interesting that you mention Mazda/Flat Rock and Toyota/Nummi. Both were joint factories in partnership with Ford and GM respectively. Those partnerships eventually died. Ford sold most of its interest in Mazda, and has steadily reduced its reliance on Mazda chassis/powertrains. So why should Mazda continue building cars in Flat Rock when there are no similar Ford products built there? The Nummi plant is now a Tesla plant. Toyota moved Corolla production to Ontario.

Flat Rock is still operating as a Ford factory - even more so than before.
Did Toyota or Mazda reinvest in an American plant using American workers? No. But thanks for the history lesson, I already knew all that. It doesn't matter.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 AM

984 posts, read 4,314,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Buick Verano?
It's actually a good topic, that's just an Opel Astra Sedan with slightly/somewhat different interior and exterior. Now that Saturn doesn't exist anymore (which is where GM mostly marketed European cars (w/some differences) they're doing similarly, but in a improved way with Buick. The Buick Regal is just an Opel Insignia. They're pretty nice cars though, at least in my opinion. Definitely way better than the old LaCrosse and Lucerne they were building.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:38 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Why should they have been offered anything? Why do they get credits? Free market capitalism right? Thats what all the anti D3 types yell when they rally against GM and Chrysler they also ask about free cars. I thought it was clear that I was being trite.

Vehicle manufacturers (and other industrial companies as well) will pit states and municipalities against each other in order to locate a plant in their area - to offer tax abatements/holidays, extra infrastructure investments, etc. Unfortunately that does come at a cost, and it's pretty easy to calculate that at a cost per job created.

I wish it didn't have to be that way, and you do make a point - some of the biggest Congressional opponents to the GM/Chrysler rescue package were from Tennessee and Alabama, both states with import transplant factories which received a fair amount of sweeteners to lure the auto manufacturers there.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:01 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I've noticed that posters in this forum mention imported cars - mainly German or Japanese - much more than I see on the local roads. For a "cheap" family car it's a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry rather than a Dodge Stratus or a Pontiac Grand Am. For a "grandpa" car it's a Toyota Avalon rather than a Buick Park Avenue. For an "affordable luxury car" it's more often an Acura or Lexus or Audi rather than a Cadillac or Lincoln.

Why is this? Is driving domestic autos just a Midwest thing, or are the members of this forum disproportionately enthused about foreign cars?
I have theory - and maybe one of these days I'll post a thread to explore it over at P&OC.

I suggest that Political Correctness has its evil hands on automotive viewpoints just as it does with social policy viewpoints. Yes, I think imports are over-represented here....just as "gay" marriage proponents are over-represented on P&OC....and that it is not mere coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive