Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:11 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,093,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
For car guys, the 20teens is like the Dark Ages or even the *gasp* 90s.
Are you kidding me? The 90's brought us the first round of Japanese supercars, with styling and performance that was neck and neck with Ferrari at the time. The 300ZX, 3000GT/Dodge Stealth, Supra, RX7, and of course the NSX. America gave us the Viper, and in the late 90's GM finally decided to update the horrid C4 with the C5. Germany... well, they've always given us good cars. Porsche continually upgraded their 911, giving us the 96-97 Turbo S, which was on par with the legendary 959. BMW continued with new versions of the M3 and M5, etc.

In short, the 90's were an amazing decade for cars. It was the 70's and 80's that sucked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Are you kidding me? The 90's brought us the first round of Japanese supercars, with styling and performance that was neck and neck with Ferrari at the time. The 300ZX, 3000GT/Dodge Stealth, Supra, RX7, and of course the NSX. America gave us the Viper, and in the late 90's GM finally decided to update the horrid C4 with the C5. Germany... well, they've always given us good cars. Porsche continually upgraded their 911, giving us the 96-97 Turbo S, which was on par with the legendary 959. BMW continued with new versions of the M3 and M5, etc.

In short, the 90's were an amazing decade for cars. It was the 70's and 80's that sucked.
And every one of them can be blown off the road by a fairly mundane V-8 Mustang today. I never was a ricer so they don't stick out in my mind, but I suppose it was exciting for people who were into that.

I will admit the '90s was a good time for 4x4s.... back when you could go buy a Land Rover Defender or Hummer H1 right off the showroom floor. The Jeep Wrangler TJ was a great package too.

Anyway, as a teenager in the 90's I was more interested in the stuff from the '70s and 80's because that's what I could afford. I loved the old no-frills, easy to work on and virtually indestructible SFA 4x4s, and huge pre-oil crisis sedans and muscle cars that were built like trucks and made the ground rumble when you fired up the massive gas-guzzling V8 (which didn't matter so much when gas was 80 cents a gallon!) High RPM buzz and whine just didn't tickle my happy-buttons.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:34 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,381 times
Everyone seems to agree that the modern Dodge Challenger will be remembered as classic in the future...is there also no love for the modern Dodge Charger, though? I drive a Charger that I bought a few years ago...still love it! It has the look of a muscle car with the added advantage of having 4 rather than 2 doors. People seemed to like the Charger a few years ago before the Challenger came out, but after the release of the Challenger some years ago, no one seems to talk about the Charger anymore...

Old 04-27-2013, 01:42 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

I politely disagree that that the 80's was a bad decade for cars My favorite car of all time (I really wish they still sold it today, in fact) was the Pontiac Firebird model that ran from about 1985 - 1992...if I'd actually been born about 10 years earlier, I would have loved to have bought one, but by the time I was old enough to drive, that model was no longer being produced...

Old 04-27-2013, 02:00 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
And every one of them can be blown off the road by a fairly mundane V-8 Mustang today. I never was a ricer so they don't stick out in my mind, but I suppose it was exciting for people who were into that.
Huh?

A stock 1997 turbo Supra did 0-60 in 5 seconds flat, and the 1/4 mile in 13.4

A 1997 NSX-T will do 0-60 in 4.7 and run 13.1.

A 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 does 0-60 4.5 and runs a 13.0.

That's not exactly blowing them out off the road.

Quote:
I will admit the '90s was a good time for 4x4s.... back when you could go buy a Land Rover Defender or Hummer H1 right off the showroom floor. The Jeep Wrangler TJ was a great package too.
I agree. The 80's were good for 4x4's too with Broncos and pre-IFS 4-Runners. As far as the Jeep TJ....meh. That's where Jeep started getting into creature comforts, IMO. I'll take my YJ any day of the week over a TJ. I don't care if it has the same suspension as a covered wagon!

Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Aztec
Tesla Roadster and tesla S
Cube
Juke
Mini S
POssibly Avalanche and Escalade
Challenger
Ford GT
CTS-V
G-8 GXP
Camaro SS
Mustang will probably still be made and still look essentially the same.
Viper
That chevy corvette truck thing whatever it was called
ZR1

G-6 Convertable.
Possibly the Ford Raptor
The WRX will probably be forever popular with the boy racer crowd. It seems uncommon enough to make classic or at least cult status.
Miata
Fusion is hard to say. It is a beautiful car. It is very common though and will likely become much more so. THe drive train and halndling are very unexciting.
Skye will probably have a following.

That is all I can think of until I add some more

Last edited by Coldjensens; 04-27-2013 at 04:59 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 03:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Everyone seems to agree that the modern Dodge Challenger will be remembered as classic in the future...is there also no love for the modern Dodge Charger, though? I drive a Charger that I bought a few years ago...still love it! It has the look of a muscle car with the added advantage of having 4 rather than 2 doors. People seemed to like the Charger a few years ago before the Challenger came out, but after the release of the Challenger some years ago, no one seems to talk about the Charger anymore...
Charger has become too ubiquitous. It is like a Taurus now. One in every other driveway. Also it is becoming very popular as an alternate to mini vans, cherokees and volvo wagons for soccer moms. Nothing will kill a car faster than becoming the new soccer mom car.

Notwithstnading that, I really like the charger. For the mid sized decent performing not too expesnive sedan group, it is the best styling, and one of thebest performers. its problem in becomming a classic is being too popular and too affordable.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Charger has become too ubiquitous. It is like a Taurus now. One in every other driveway.
The Charger is a common but distinctive car - when I approach one on the highway I know what it is at first sight, which is something I can't say for the Accords, Camrys, Impalas, and Malibus. However, it's a common four-door model and the styling is much more subdued than the Challenger. This is the way it should be, but the Charger will certainly be overshadowed by the Challenger.

And with all due respect for fans of 1980's cars, I personally consider the 1980's to be sort of like the dark age of cars. The looks and styling were awful on almost every vehicle; power, performance, acceleration, and top speed were compromised across the board, downsizing was in vogue, and econoboxes reigned supreme. The Detroit Three really lost their way during the 1980's. However, the 1980's did feature the application of new technologies and the dawn of the SUV, which would contribute to the 1990's being a much better decade for cars across the board (in my view).

Old 04-27-2013, 08:41 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,161,655 times
Countach is part of the 80's, so the 80's is alright with me.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,556 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Two things that eliminate the Charger, the 4 doors, and the fact that it's become the most popular vehicle for police cars. And, nothing like the original. If you want a 4 door with a Hemi, cool, but it won't likely be memorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive