Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 04:16 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times

Advertisements

If Electric cars become commonplace in the future, they will sure remember the Volt and the Leaf..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 06:18 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Whoa, where that that come from? That almost looks as good as a Challenger!

Yea, Dodge really screwed up there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It looks like a Challenger .
I agreee, guys. But....this drawing came out 2 years before the Challenger. I heard some lame excuse that the Charger is 4 doors, because Dodge figured that's where it would have progressed to had it never went out of production.

And that, is BS. Yeah...just like all those 4 door Mustangs, Camaros, T/A's running around out there.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:37 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
It is a different issue whether they are remembered or they are desirable.

The Accord and Camry will be remembered by many because they were "good cars" for millions of people. But no one in 40 years will try hard to find one or pay top dollar for one.

I think the Viper will be remembered fondly because it is the ultimate example of American brute force. More than the Vette or a Shelby or a Challenger (which is an overweight two door version of the Charger).

I also think the Raptor could be important. Very unique example of an American truck. Not so rare that people don't know what it is, but not common.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
... Generic cars throughout history have been forgotten 50 years later, and the same will be true for today's generic cars....
Model T?
Model A?
'40 Ford coupe?
'55 Chevy?
'57 Chevy?

Those were all pretty damned generic.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:25 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Model T?
Model A?
'40 Ford coupe?
'55 Chevy?
'57 Chevy?

What did Henry Ford say about the Model T? "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black".

Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Where are our future classic cars?
Well...you know technically, any car built today will be considered a classic if it lives past 25 years.

However, the cars of today I "believe" will be considered worth something as a classic, will be:

Corvette
LS powered Camaro
LS powered G6
5.0 Mustang
Hemi Charger
5.7/6.1 Challenger

I'm sure there's others but these stand out in my mind

Now of course when the value of these cars goes up as classics, all other classics around them tend to go up too.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:41 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Forty or fifty years? Just today, I was talking to someone about my 89 year old un-restored Dodge car. With all the plastic, synthetics and thin metal, I wonder if any car produced today will even be around in 40 or 50 years without being in some sort of extraordinary climate-controlled storage.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
I do not see anything on the road manufactured today that I personally view as a stand out vehicle...everyone and his brother has a new Challenger around here and at first they were kinda cool with the retro styling,but its like a good song that gets to much airplay..boring quick....I just do not see a classic in the making today.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:52 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I agreee, guys. But....this drawing came out 2 years before the Challenger. I heard some lame excuse that the Charger is 4 doors, because Dodge figured that's where it would have progressed to had it never went out of production.

And that, is BS. Yeah...just like all those 4 door Mustangs, Camaros, T/A's running around out there.
Exactly. A more sporty and muscle-y car like a Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, or even a Lamborghini should not have 4 doors - those kind of cars and 4 doors don't go well together. The modern Charger, as a sedan, is not in the same class; it's more like a "family sedan with an edge".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Model T?
Model A?
'40 Ford coupe?
'55 Chevy?
'57 Chevy?

Sedans from the 1950's had much more style than a modern sedan, and even so the generic family movers of the 1950's aren't remembered as much as a Chevy Impala or Ford Mustang. As for the Model A and Model T, they represented great leaps forward in the car industry, something which cannot be said for a new Honda Accord or Chevy Malibu.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
i'm of the opinion that as noted elsewhere people remember what they liked or what was of importance to them. In general, i think that can cars that have a lasting value now will be remembered later. Such as the Miata, Prius, Jeep, certain performace and exotics, etc.

As for me, since i'm already 51, if i can still be sitting on a porch in another 50 years discussing cars then any car i'll wanna talk about would have been one to put a smile on my face when i was younger

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive