U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,137,490 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is every car on the market today pretty much the same? Where are our future classic cars?

Shopping for cars has literally become like shopping for washing machines... It's nice to have comfort, reliability, decent fuel economy and merely adequate performance but it's damn difficult to find a car under 50K that stands out or even evokes any kind of emotion. They all look (and perform) the same!

Today's cars even go so far as to make fantasy cars look plain and boring... so many sedans look like Bentleys these days that the only way you can tell if you are looking at an actual Bentley is to get close enough to see the wings on the hood (and also makes you wonder why anyone would pay 150-300K when you can get something that looks just like it for 25-30K ).

There are some exceptions; I think the modern version of the Dodge Challenger will be a classic (yes, I am biased because I drive one!), the Mini and Fiat 500 have a chance too, as do the Jeep Wrangler and Toyota FJ Cruiser. Come to think of it, the only cars that do stand out in my mind are retro style cars trying to play off of our feelings for memorable cars of the past!

But who is going to remember the dozens of Camry sedan clones out there, or all the cookie-cutter crossovers or the tiny Japanese economy people movers? Will people in 50 years get excited about the 2050 Honda Fit reboot? Will people pay insane prices so they can relive their youth behind the wheel of a Scion?

For car guys, the 20teens is like the Dark Ages or even the *gasp* 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,409,299 times
They will remember the Civic because they can buy a new one in 50 years.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 PM

805 posts, read 2,081,801 times
Appliance vehicles like 4 door commuter cars, mini-vans and SUV's will most likely hit the recycle bin once they are completely used up. The cars that usually become collectable are high performance or sports-oriented. Most convertibles remain popular since they are fun recreation vehicles.

It's hard to say which cars from today will be popular in 40-50 years, it most likely depends on what the state of affairs is with gasoline and fuel sources. Gasoline cars may end up being obsolete in 25 years.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 PM

16,569 posts, read 28,661,948 times
Well, all depends. We remember the cars we were impressed by, or cars we drove, or cars our parents, family members, or friends had or still have. The young people of today will remember the cars they are impressed by, or cars they drive, or cars their parents, family members, or friends had or still have.

It's a generational thing.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
It's hard to say which cars from today will be popular in 40-50 years, it most likely depends on what the state of affairs is with gasoline and fuel sources. Gasoline cars may end up being obsolete in 25 years.
Oh I'm sure gas powered cars WILL be obsolete in 50 years... but horses were obsolete a 100 years ago and there are still plenty of 'em around.

People will probably get around in their electric cars that charge in 30 seconds and go 500 miles on a charge but it will be a long time before people forget the roar of a V8 or the smell of exhaust and feel no desire or attachments to what will then be "old school" autos. I imagine it will even be pretty damn nostalgic when you don't have to put up with it everyday, kinda like horses too.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, all depends. We remember the cars we were impressed by, or cars we drove, or cars our parents, family members, or friends had or still have. The young people of today will remember the cars they are impressed by, or cars they drive, or cars their parents, family members, or friends had or still have.

It's a generational thing.
I don't know about that either... My parents drove a Chevette when I was a little kid and I don't want to own one today! I have fond memories of my teenage cars too but aside from a Jeep CJ-5 in good shape I wouldn't want any of them again.

Maybe it's more about the cars they wanted to have as kids...

Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 PM

3,237 posts, read 4,549,514 times
I think the Corvette and the other American V8's will still be remembered. It will be some sort of golden age of big motors and big horsepower.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 PM

16,569 posts, read 28,661,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I don't know about that either... My parents drove a Chevette when I was a little kid and I don't want to own one today! I have fond memories of my teenage cars too but aside from a Jeep CJ-5 in good shape I wouldn't want any of them again.

Maybe it's more about the cars they wanted to have as kids...
That's pretty much what I said. You remember the cars that impress you the most (the ones you like or dislike). It's like anything else in life. For example, you will always remember things that scared you the most, or things that you enjoyed the most, things that you hated the most, things or people you loved the most, and so on. If another kid slapped the snout out of you, you will never forget And your best friend as a kid, you will never forget. those are the lasting impressions I was referring to.

I also said that the same will be for the kids of today (they will remember the things they experience today).

Last edited by RayinAK; 04-26-2013 at 09:22 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 10:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,524 posts, read 54,080,580 times
Today's vehicles are so much alike that none stand out enough to be considered classics in the future. Your Challenger (I love them too) are really cool because Chrysler did a good jobe recreating the modern version of an already classic. To a lesser extent the Mustang and Camaro, but none of these are selling like the 60s-70s muscle cars. What made those cars so popular and now expensive as classics is that people like me wanted them but couldn't afford them until we were in our 40s and 50s. (I bought a 1972 El Camino SS about 10 years ago) If you ask current 16-22 year-olds what car they wish they had, most don't care as long as it has bluetooth, navigation and MP3 player.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:38 AM

5,595 posts, read 6,347,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Is it just me or is every car on the market today pretty much the same? Where are our future classic cars?
There is too much homogeneity in the market today, but it doesn't affect every car or even the vast majority. The only two segments that have been greatly affected is the generic mid-size sedans and the crossovers. Generic cars throughout history have been forgotten 50 years later, and the same will be true for today's generic cars.

Quote:
There are some exceptions; I think the modern version of the Dodge Challenger will be a classic (yes, I am biased because I drive one!), the Mini and Fiat 500 have a chance too, as do the Jeep Wrangler and Toyota FJ Cruiser. Come to think of it, the only cars that do stand out in my mind are retro style cars trying to play off of our feelings for memorable cars of the past!

But who is going to remember the dozens of Camry sedan clones out there, or all the cookie-cutter crossovers or the tiny Japanese economy people movers? Will people in 50 years get excited about the 2050 Honda Fit reboot? Will people pay insane prices so they can relive their youth behind the wheel of a Scion?
The Dodge Challenger is a distinctive and memorable car, but since the exterior styling is a recreation of the 1970 Challenger it's not an original classic. The Chevrolet Camaro is a distinctive car with original styling, and I'm sure it will be remembered as a 2000's/2010's classic. The Ford Mustang might also make the grade but in my opinion it's not future classic material. Among big luxury sedans the Audi A8 is a standout. However, I'm certain that the Cadillac Escalade will be considered a classic in the future - no other modern vehicle has its size, styling, and reputation. It will certainly be remembered. Although they're not in production today the first-generation Navigator and Hummer will also be standouts. The Mini Cooper will probably be a classic, and the Ford Flex is different enough to have a chance to be remembered in the future. The Toyota Prius is distinctive enough to be remembered, kind of like how the 1986 Ford Taurus is remembered today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or