Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times

Advertisements

OK, here I go. 2001 Silverado. I'm not worried about the squeaks, but when I go over bumps, holes, cracks, and tar snakes, I get a very distinct "clink" sound. It sounds like the leaf springs are hitting each other. This just started a week ago.

Normally I can spot issues like this with no problems. But this one is proving to be a bit more difficult to isolate for me.

Ive even gone as far as putting several layers of cardboard between the springs. I also wrapped towels around the ends of the overload springs. I wedged more cardboard between the top spring and clips that hold and keep the ends aligned. The u-bolts are tight.

With all that done, I still get the noise.

Its happening to both sides. The 2nd part of the video, you can see/hear the right side first, then the left. I drove off the driveway and an angle to confirm its both sides which it is.

Please, help. Its very loud and quite embarrassing lol.

And no, I'm not going to fix it by turning up the radio

leaf spring slap/clink? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Nice you put in the video it sure helps but.. I'm still thinking??
Something is loose. I would check everything taht is associated with the going down the road hitting bumps and hearing the noise. Do you have a cracked spring? How are the mounts on the shocks springs, muffler and pipes? How about the heat shield over the muffler? My wife had one let go on her Forerunner and whe nhitting bumps it would clang away but not all the time and it drove me crazy trying to figure it out.
Leaf springs are pretty tough and when they let go watch out. My Ford F150 cracked and broke a leaf spring mount and that noise was horrible. You might be heading toward something major like that but check your heat shields or anything else that might be dangling. Your spare tire?

Old 04-27-2013, 11:28 AM

Im still under it trying to figure it out. No spare tire, so its not that

I got frustrated looking so took the muffler off for S & G's and the noise is still there. Muffler going back on. The 4.3L V6 is quite loud. Way louder then any V6 I've heard.

Ive been under the truck with a rubber mallet. I know its not a heat shield or something small like that.

I originally thought it was only coming from the drivers rear but after doing the video and hitting the bumps and an angle, I realized its from both sides.

Everything where the eye's of the leaf mount is good and tight. Bushing need some lube though, but I can deal with that later.

The noise sounds like its under tension though, its several loud raps quickly when it happens.

Im soooo stumped on this one.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 AM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Sounds to tinny to be heavy metal to metal so I'm still thinking heat shield on top of the cats converter.

Can't imagine its the leaf springs.

Something is def moving around

Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 AM

the camera mic isnt all that great. The clink can be hear a block away. In person, it defiantly has the heavy metal to metal sound. I can hear it echo well off walls and guard rails on the highway too.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Boy.....this is a tough one. I'm with CCT on the possibility of a cracked spring, but the odds of breaking one on both sides is pretty remote unless you did something. Checking the shock mounts at the axle is another good idea.

I've watched this about 30 times.....stumped. It sounds like something that is fairly "light"

Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 PM

Finally found it. Parking brake shoe. Missing most the lining too.

Never would have thought it either. The truck has rear disc with the lil drum on the inside.

Thanks all for the help!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
^^ Nice work!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:21 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
^^Agreed! Great job!

Nice to be able to do your own work!

I've got rear drums on my YJ too, so if I start hearing something like that, I know what to take a peek at now.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:36 PM

Thanks.

It is nice doing my own work. I enjoy working on my own cars, house, PC's, etc. Kind of a jack of all trades.

Getting out of my new car loan and into something used was awesome. I doubt I'd ever buy new again! Fortunately, most of my car issues are not this difficult!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive