Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Who needs a horn? Just carry an iron bar.

Motorists stop traffic for pole fight - YouTube

Or maybe all you need is a Russian accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 12:48 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
You mean without those? Why would you remove such a pretty ornament?

Old 04-28-2013, 12:59 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
BUT....The horn is still available at an option....... A brand new bottom line Civic that costs 20k, the horn option costs $1500.....

Are you getting the option or not?
I would no sooner purchase a car without a horn than I would purchase a car without turn signals, so the answer would have to be yes. However, such an essential feature should be considered standard. In my view horns will be considered standard for as long as automobiles exist. Horns are just too useful for warning of hazards, getting people's attention, and communication with other people to be phased out. The same goes for high-beam headlights and flash-to-pass.

Also, I doubt that a horn option would cost as much as $1500.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:41 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,881 times
Well I was speaking hypothetically.

Weve seen things like this happen is the past before, and not just with cars... We think some of these things are great and then we find out that they arent as helpful as we thought.

Sure its an essential feature, but not long ago kings and queens drank from lead goblets, and lobsters were fed to prisoners because they were trash food... not the best examples I know.

Is it that hard to believe that a horn may be considered a hazard in the future?

Im sure theres some people here that would agree that a horn can be distracting, and just adds to overall stress levels while on the road.

I totally agree with the horn tax also, if money can be made im sure its been considered.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,538 times
People who use their horns are bad people.
Horns have no positive value. They are only for expressing anger and malevolence.

Sheeple say that horns are a "safety feature", but how do horns improve anyone's safety? Ever? By demanding that the old lady crossing the road get the hell out of your way?

Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
People who use their horns are bad people.
Horns have no positive value. They are only for expressing anger and malevolence.

Sheeple say that horns are a "safety feature", but how do horns improve anyone's safety? Ever? By demanding that the old lady crossing the road get the hell out of your way?
A quick honk of the horn has kept people from backing into me in parking lots, or pulling/backing out of their driveway into or in front of me, or attempting to enter my lane while I'm still in it.

3 short honks has helped me avoid head-on collisions approaching many a blind curve or one-lane bridge, especially on dark & foggy country roads.

S-O-S honks helped rescuers find me when I was wiped off the road by an avalanche.

Laying on the horn kept the bear out of my truck.

A short honk can let someone know there is something wrong with their vehicle or call attention to an upcoming road hazard.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:24 PM

472 posts, read 570,521 times
I grew up in India, and the horn there is as important as the steering wheel!

By the way, I have prevented accidents by using my horn, here in the USA, most notably an incident in South Dakota. There is definitely a good use for it once in a while.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
I would have to get the horn. How else could I get people to look to see the message I was sending them with my hands?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
How is this any kind of sensible hypothetical?

Manufacturers are getting rid of ashtrays and replacing lighters with 12 volt DC sockets because fewer and fewer car buyers care about those items. It's nothing to do with the manufacturers just deciding that the drivers shouldn't smoke in the car. (For that matter, there are more and more cars with multiple outlets for electronic devices people have with them.)

The history is really mostly in the other direction. For instance, seat belts used to be an option, then they became mandatory; same with air bags; radios, tape decks, multiple speakers were options, then car manufacturers saw the opportunity to make money by including them.

In this case I don't think it's at all realistic to think that manufacturers would stop producing horns as standard equipment. If they did an after market would spring up, people would buy them (for much less than $1500) and manufacturers would realize they had made a terrible mistake and start including them as standard again.

(Oh, and by the way, it's not much of a response to just keep saying "It's a hypothetical!". In order for a hypotehtical question to have any explanatory value it needs to have some relation to a potential reality.)

Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
If it says "DODGE" all the way across your hood, why do you even need a horn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive