Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:16 PM

89 posts, read 408,372 times

Advertisements

So, I'm trying to sell a van (priced very reasonably and it's a good running vehicle-but that's besides the point) and I had several people that came out to look at it and dozens more interested that never showed up.

Potential buyer 1: really liked the van and only thing that "bothered" him was that it has 4 seats and a bench-he was looking for 2 seats (driver and passenger) and 2 bench type seats. The pictures I posted clearly showed the interior and he knew from the beginning that only one of the seats was a bench.

P.B 2: Drove 2 hours to see the van with his wife and kids. His wife and kids never got out of their car, he liked the van and told me he would talk to his wife (she didn't even come out to see the van) and get back to me. He never did.

P.B 3: Inspected the van for about an hour, took it for a test drive and he seemed to like it. Called me a few days later and offered me less than half of what I was asking because "it will need new tires soon and carpet needs cleaning"-carpet did indeed need cleaning but tires were in pretty descent shape.

P.B 4: Had looked at the van and wanted me to get it smogged before he buys it. I did smog it but lost his number and didn't call him. I changed the price in my ad asking $500 less, then he contacts me again asking if the van was still available. I told him I had someone to come look at it and if he didn't buy I'd call back (and I did have someone interested). When I didn't sell it I called him back and he wanted me to take another $300 off the price, I told him I'd meet him in the middle and take $150 off as long as he came to buy same or next day. He told me he 'd rather wait because he's actually looking for a smaller car(!).

P.B 5: Had several post it notes of questions he wanted to ask me. One of them was "when you take it to pass smog and have a full tank of gas, do you smell any fumes?" I nicely told him to not waste my time and left.

I had a couple other similar experiences with in-person potential buyers, and some via e-mail. Is this type of behavior from potential buyers "normal" when selling online (Craigslist)? Why are people wasting my time and their time, and are so hesitant to buy a car that's obviously clean and at a reasonable price? I understand the urge to negotiate, but how can you offer me half or 1/3 of my asking price and expect me to agree, especially if you have not even seen the car in person? I'm thinking of charging $5 to anyone who wants to come look at it/test drive it, then in return sell it to them with a full tank of gas if they do end up buying. Hopefully that way I'll filter out those that have no intention of buying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 02:41 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,342,122 times
I fix and flip vehicles (motorcycles) for 100% of my income and have for a number of years... lots of buying and selling. I don't get many tire kickers, they're out there though (and my best guess is that they think what I'm selling is other than what I've stated in the ads).

My first guess is that you're not being honest with yourself. I say this because it's clearly the number one problem with vehicles I go to inspect/buy. Some people are realistic, will listen to my critiques and accept they're true (I'm fair, not out to rip anyone off but won't pay for things that need to be replaced/fixed)... others are stuck in the mentality of "It's worth what I Think it's worth, to hell with reality". So, are you Really priced appropriate to the market? If you're getting people who show up, that answer is Probably. But since you're not getting buyers from those who show, there's something about the vehicle that's driving them from the sale. The best way to avoid this is to make the vehicle a "needs nothing" sale, fix Anything that's wrong, clean the snot out of it, have it serviced and hand those receipts to potential buyers to show that it's a "needs nothing" vehicle. I'm convinced this is the reason I routinely fetch top-market value for my vehicles. The other option is to skip doing the service and drop the price in hopes of finding someone who's willing to pay for the work (or do it themselves). The other thing I do is put up LOTS of photos and a few videos. My last sale (gone in 9 days for full asking price) had 64 photos and 2 videos, going out of my way to show what few flaws existed (any buyer will see those when they inspect in person, dumb to try and hide them).

As for the tires comment, what's the DOT code (how old are they ~ different from how long since you had them installed, AND from how many miles you've driven). I won't pay for tires that are more than 5 years old no matter the miles ~ on a van, that's a ~$600 hit. You might have come upon someone who has a little education/knowledge and your van just didn't offer the best value to them.

Best of luck.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:42 PM

24,230 posts, read 16,911,280 times
I used to work at a new and used car dealer and the jerks were never ending. Yes we can sell our car to you for wholesale and give you retail plus for your piece of crap. Sure you had a bankruptcy last week no problem you can still finance that new car. Sure you can take this new truck for the day, use it to move your friend and then don't worry about the empty fuel tank... people are NUTZ and will chance anything.
I have sold stuff on Ebay and Craigslist for years and it is incredible what people will offer you. I go to yard sales and it is worse. Say an item priced at $5 actually worth $10 all day but the buyer offers like $1.. "No" Ok I will think about it then. What jerks. Everyone wants to get a deal but everyone also needs to be happy.
We have tried to sell good stuff cheap and no one calls but put an add on for FREE JUNK and people will be calling you for weeks!
How badly do you need to sell the van? Can you wait for a decent buyer?
I would say if the van is looking good, drives well and you have it priced right then hold your ground. Be up front with buyers when they call, describe the good in the van and add to the value of it even if it is perceived value. When they ask for a discount tell them "yeah we can talk a bit but don't go making me any stupid offers" "I don't need to sell this" then bring the talk back to the value of the van. It might also help to have printouts from Kelly blue book or edmons as to what the van is worth. have a carfax handy that the buyer can look at but not take. He can have it when he buys the van.
Be strong and weed out those looky loos on the phone before they come to waste your time. When you get a decent caller Don't negotiate over the phone let them see the van and understand the value and why it is priced like it is.
Good luck.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,463,186 times
I am one of the lowballer types. But, its my side income and I lowball on average a hundred or so people on various different items a day. I'm seeking they desperate ones that need the money and I get something I can flip in matter of hours.

When there is something I want, such as a car or truck but not need, Ill lowball for months until I find the right person that accepts my offer.

Just politely decline the lowballers offer. Feel free to counter if you are willing.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:54 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,356,279 times
If this bothers you a lot, you should probably trade it in. Usually when people determine that it is not really what they are looking for, they say they will get back to you. For whatever reason, they do not want to say "Sorry Not interested" Many times they may be thinking they want to keep the door open if the do not find anything else the like better. Frequently buyers are shocked at how high prices have climbed for used cars. Sometimes they go look at a car hoping the seller may have set the price too high and may be willing to negotiate substantially.

Do you smoke? If I look at a car and it have any indication it was a smokers car, I leave. Usually I ask them before I come look, but frequently they lie. You arrive and the car has 38 air freshners hanging in it and it smelled like a an old ash try mixed with perfume. I am not likely to say "Hey you lied" and then get into an argument with them about whether they smoked in the car. I just tell them I am not interested and leave. If they press me, I am not likely to say "Because you lied about smoking in the car." I m not looking to get into a fight, I just want to leave.

You said the car is dirty. It may be what you see as a little dirty, others are viewing as filthy. Again people are not likely to tell you 'It is disgusting" They will just say anything to leave quickly. It is embarrassing or uncomfortable for many people when you go look at a car and decide you do not want it.

Frankly if you smoked int he car, I would suggest you just trade it in. If it is dirty - clean it. I looked at one car and discovered the owner had a habit of wiping his boogers on the front of the seat bottom. No way I am going to buy that car under any circumstances. But I am not going to say "Your boogers are all over the seat!" Just say not interested, or I may have been guilty of saying "I will get back to you" in some instances. I do not remember doing that, but it is certainly possible.

There is definitely something wrong. When I have looked as non-delear cars listed on craigslist, I found that if I do not buy them within a day or so, they are gone when I call back. Decent cars priced at private sale prices, generally sell very quickly. If you have not sold your car, something is wrong. Either your price is too high, or there is a problem with your car that you re not realizing.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
. . . , clean the snot out of it, . . .

Yes. As I mentioned, this is very important. If there is snot in it, it will not sell.

Another grody I saw once is the carpet was all full of bits of finger nails. 10 years worth of nail biting bits. Sure it may acuum out, but - no thank you.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:02 PM

24,230 posts, read 16,911,280 times
You are getting good advice here.
Coldjensens wrote "There is definitely something wrong. When I have looked as non-delear cars listed on craigslist, I found that if I do not buy them within a day or so, they are gone when I call back. Decent cars priced at private sale prices, generally sell very quickly. If you have not sold your car, something is wrong. Either your price is too high, or there is a problem with your car that you re not realizing."
So true. I'm in real estate now and if a house is priced right and in nice condition it sells quick. The same can be said for cars.
When I was selling cars we had a saying "buyers are liars" which was sometimes true.
Also when negotiating and it stalled for no apparent reason I used to say "I sense there is something holding you back from saying yes and it is one of 3 things. It is either the car, the price or it is me. It was never me but usually something would come out like they wished the truck had steps, or was different colour but it was usually the price.
Once again good luck.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
You are getting good advice here.
Coldjensens wrote "There is definitely something wrong. When I have looked as non-delear cars listed on craigslist, I found that if I do not buy them within a day or so, they are gone when I call back. Decent cars priced at private sale prices, generally sell very quickly. If you have not sold your car, something is wrong. Either your price is too high, or there is a problem with your car that you re not realizing."
So true. I'm in real estate now and if a house is priced right and in nice condition it sells quick. The same can be said for cars.
When I was selling cars we had a saying "buyers are liars" which was sometimes true.
Also when negotiating and it stalled for no apparent reason I used to say "I sense there is something holding you back from saying yes and it is one of 3 things. It is either the car, the price or it is me. It was never me but usually something would come out like they wished the truck had steps, or was different colour but it was usually the price.
Once again good luck.
Could be you. I had a salesman tell me a car was a 6 cylinder. When I opened the hood I pointed out the 4 spark plus and wires. He said it was a new configuration where two of the wires run inside the engine where you cannot see them. I was adamantly against buying anything from that guy ever and wanted to leave immediately (But it was my wife's decision, and she wanted the car, although we ended up returning it and making them take it back after a month).

Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,001,096 times
First off, value is in the eye of the beholder. Many sellers think their car is worth alot more than it does and how it's "obvious" that theirs is the cleanest, finest specimen out there. Obviously, the offers made sight unseen are from flakes and so they can be easily ignored but you are going to get alot of tirekickers than serious buyers. Some of these tirekickers may have been serious buyers until they actually see the car because we all know: pictures lie!

Old 05-03-2013, 04:05 PM

89 posts, read 408,372 times
Thanks for the replies, and I do understand what you 're saying. I honestly don't think my price is high at all, I had potential buyers admit my price is very reasonable and it is, it is priced lower than what others are selling it for in worst condition and higher mileage. I do admit there are imperfections (which I state in my ad) but it is a used car and the buyer should be able to weigh the pros and cons. I have been looking to buy a truck (reason I'm selling the van) and sometimes I will look for cars too and there is nothing that I can buy for the price I'm selling the van. Cars in that price range either need head gasket, transmission, have high mileage or are salvaged, the ones that are "clean" are just really old. I can honestly say that if I was looking for a van and saw mine for sale I would go for it, and I'm not saying that because it is my van. I purchased it (well my father did) from the 1st owner a year and a half ago for $1200 more than what I'm asking now, and drove it a total of 3000 miles or so...and it was still a bargain when we got it (and my dad is what you 'll consider a low baller, but at least he has his way of negotiating).

I think my mistake is that I mention in the ad that I need to sell asap, and people take advantage of that and lowball me. I will change that and maybe raise the price a little bit, that way I will leave room for negotiations for those that don't know a good deal when they see it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive