Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Heck, when I do my own oil changes I'm still looking at $65 as a minimum. 7 Qt's of VW 502 approved oil (not sold in the big 5 qt jugs) plus a the filter isn't cheap. Costs me about $70 to have the dealership do the oil change, and save me the time and effort.
Truly a rip off

Toyota Genuine Oil filter cost $13 a pop

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM

133 posts, read 172,033 times
I'm sitting here with a blown transmission in a John Deere tractor because the manual said the hydrostatic transmission oil/fluid never needed changed........ho-hum!

The engine oil and filter were changed every 50 hours.

It still runs 100%.

I'm an old school 3K guy on oil.....I've extended that to 5K for modern synthetics in some light use vehicles. If I forgot...I'd NEVER let it go past 7,500.....

Oil is cheap and easy to change compared to the alternative.

I don't put much faith in owners manuals either.

They are in business to build and SELL YOU A NEW one!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman_King View Post
I'm sitting here with a blown transmission in a John Deere tractor because the manual said the hydrostatic transmission oil/fluid never needed changed........ho-hum!

The engine oil and filter were changed every 50 hours.

It still runs 100%.

I'm an old school 3K guy on oil.....I've extended that to 5K for modern synthetics in some light use vehicles. If I forgot...I'd NEVER let it go past 7,500.....

Oil is cheap and easy to change compared to the alternative.

I don't put much faith in owners manuals either.

They are in business to build and SELL YOU A NEW one!
If your John Deere tractor has a TuffTorq K46 hydrostat, it's blown because that particular transmission sucks.

What model number is your JD?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
If your John Deere tractor has a TuffTorq K46 hydrostat, it's blown because that particular transmission sucks.

What model number is your JD?
It's our shop tractor. It's a '93 LX-176 which has a K61 in it.

It's blown because it never got changed...only filled "as needed".

That manual is full of dookie!

Any kind of lubricant needs changed.....even 20 YEARS later.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman_King View Post
It's our shop tractor. It's a '93 LX-176 which has a K61 in it.

It's blown because it never got changed...only filled "as needed".

That manual is full of dookie!

Any kind of lubricant needs changed.....even 20 YEARS later.
I agree that it's idiotic for them to not have any way to change the fluid in those transaxles.

However, the transaxles are known for being crap. I've got one.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 PM

I hauled that sucker home to my workshop to check it out for the boss tonight.

He ain't gonna like what he hears in the morning......POOF! BANG!!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Last 2 engines I heard of that were pushed to 10k between oil changes, didn't make it past the 10k mark before the rods exited the block.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Pretty much every single oil analysis I've seen the oil, synthetic or otherwise, is fine at 10,000. If it's not fine, it's because there's something wrong with the engine. Engines running too rich and the fuel contamination is lowering the viscosity, coolant in the oil causing premature bearing wear, that type of thing. Changing oil more frequently is going to mask those problems... but considering it's only masking them and it doesn't cost anymore to have the oil tested than it does to mask the problem with unnecessary oil changes, there's not much reason for it. If you know the engine already has a problem and just don't want to pay to fix it, however, I can see the point of changing it every 3k. You'd be far better off following the maintenance interval and spending the $30 on shipping/analysis to determine that, however.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:11 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Last 2 engines I heard of that were pushed to 10k between oil changes, didn't make it past the 10k mark before the rods exited the block.
The majority of BMWs are going to 15k without oil changes and aren't suffering catastrophic failure. That has really nothing to do with oil. Old oil is a long-term wear and tear issue, and engines failing with less than 10,000 miles really has nothing to do with it. Sounds more like someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick overrevving when they go to shift from 2nd to 3rd at near readline and accidentally put it in first.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The majority of BMWs are going to 15k without oil changes and aren't suffering catastrophic failure. That has really nothing to do with oil. Old oil is a long-term wear and tear issue, and engines failing with less than 10,000 miles really has nothing to do with it. Sounds more like someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick overrevving when they go to shift from 2nd to 3rd at near readline and accidentally put it in first.
There is still a lot of factory manuals that specify 3k and 5k though. It depends on the vehicle. I would never run a truck that kind of milage. 7,500 would be really pushing it. Blow your engine trying to prove a point? Nah, Autozone and Advanced have all I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive