Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 10:21 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
As another poster said I would bet it is because of Mother's Day. If there is a buck to be made, companies will certainly try to make that buck. Mother's Day cards, flowers, chocolates are all in high demand for the next few days. I can't tell you how many flower ads or groupon ads for flowers I've seen over the past few days.

Also I think most people aren't even phased by .30 cents or even a .50 cent hike. We have all seen the .40 cent hike over a weekend and then it drops in 4 days by .20 cents. In reality we all probably expect it to drop with a week or two....then go back up of course.
What do you mean a buck to be made!! Gas stations are always letting us know that they only make 1 penny per gallon profit so no matter what the price says it is still 1 penny. JUST BARELY ENOUGH to stay open and build an extra station every year, wahhh!!! roflmao.

Gas went from 3.32/gallon here in North Platte, NE to 3.79/gal in less than 2 weeks.

A couple months ago went gas spiked they said they were changing the mix for summer early and should not spike in spring for summer blend since that is done now. OOps, did they say that out loud, sike!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman_King View Post
Not for your little "fart car" that has a 15 gallon tank. 40 gallons in a truck,van or SUV would change your tune. That approx $30 too much. $30 pays a lot of other bills and buys food.

Ever heard the expression you have to pay if you want to play?

I'm venturing most truck and SUV owners have never heard that expression.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:52 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
If .30 cents is going to hurt you, you have bigger problems.
I don't think you're seeing even the tip of the iceberg, with that reasoning.

You do know, don't you, how the price of fuel affects the price of groceries - as well as just about everything else? Have you noticed what has happened to the price of groceries in the last couple months?

Most of us can drive less, ride bike & walk more, if we want to badly enough. But it's hard to go without food- and THAT is the real problem here.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:57 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post

You do know, don't you, how the price of fuel affects the price of groceries - as well as just about everything else? Have you noticed what has happened to the price of groceries in the last couple months?

Most of us can drive less, ride bike & walk more, if we want to badly enough. But it's hard to go without food- and THAT is the real problem here.
You alter your food intake. If that chicken went up in price and not on sale you don't buy it. Buy the steak. Look for a cheaper food. People are saying food prices are going up for years! Shop around. I haven't noticed anything in 3 years that I have been buying food for myself/us. We buy things on sale. If that means we don't get crackers that week we don't get them.

You can adapt or fall to the wayside.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
You alter your food intake. If that chicken went up in price and not on sale you don't buy it. Buy the steak. Look for a cheaper food. People are saying food prices are going up for years! Shop around. I haven't noticed anything in 3 years that I have been buying food for myself/us. We buy things on sale. If that means we don't get crackers that week we don't get them.

You can adapt or fall to the wayside.
Gee, really? I've NEVER before thought of looking for sales!

Here's the deal: ACROSS THE BOARD groceries have risen markedly. So scold your grandma, on a fixed-income, for not being more frugal.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:

I'm fully aware of the trickle down affect, but I'm doing well money wise and just don't care. Sure it sucks, but my budget is not blown by little increases in stuff I can't control.

Again it does make me wonder how broke people really are.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I'm fully aware of the trickle down affect, but I'm doing well money wise and just don't care. Sure it sucks, but my budget is not blown by little increases in stuff I can't control.

Again it does make me wonder how broke people really are.
I'm glad to hear that! Unfortunately, there are millions of people who are not as fortunate as you. Many people - particularly the elderly, who are on fixed incomes, and whose medical costs are skyrocketing under ObamaCare - are really struggling.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that! Unfortunately, there are millions of people who are not as fortunate as you. Many people - particularly the elderly, who are on fixed incomes, and whose medical costs are skyrocketing under ObamaCare - are really struggling.

They should have planned better or in simple terms tough ****.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
They should have planned better or in simple terms tough ****.
Dumba$$.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Gee, really? I've NEVER before thought of looking for sales!

Here's the deal: ACROSS THE BOARD groceries have risen markedly. So scold your grandma, on a fixed-income, for not being more frugal.
Looks like G-Ma will have to be eating ramen or eat something different. Every old person I knows hardly even eats. As someone else said they should have planned better. Its not my fault G-Ma saved nothing and is living on SS. They lived the best and greatest time in America and all they have is a measly SS check....they spent it all and didn't save anything? I'm supposed to feel bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive