Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:00 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,090,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
You can be as wrong as you'd like to be, child.
Well the stock market has rebounded, those dumb fool who cashed out in 2008, well tough cookies.

Those employees who bought 100% company stock. Well that’s investing idiocy 101.

Those who bought big trucks and SUV to cart them around in paved paradises have forfeited any right to complain about gas prices.

When it comes to food prices consider it a reason for them to lose weight. I’m tired of bleeding hearts making excuses for others.

I bet your all in for the redistrbution of wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 PM

2,341 posts, read 11,982,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
This is America. We don't pay $2 an hour. Back in the day we did. Then again $2 was worth closer to $2 that it is now. The best economic times in the U.S. was in the boomer's working years. They could save anything? BS.

Yes they did lose a lot in 2008 and so far their back on track and making even more money. It isn't my fault some fool thought the world was going to end in fire and damn-nation and took their money out.

This isn't rocket science. Life is full of choices. If Joe Blew whi is 65 now didn't save...tough luck.
Are you REALLY this stupid? Seriously? PLEASE tell me you're not that stupid!

What was the hourly wage back in 1965, when "stupid old grandpa" was working his a$$ off at a job you'd not competent enough, or man enough, to do? Here's a hint, junior: Minimum wage was $1.25 per hour, and the average wage was $2.58 per hour. So if "stupid old grandpa" saves half of his income - something YOU are nowhere near man enough to do - how much did he save up? And what if he was one of the tens of thousands of people who had his entire life's savings stolen by (for instance) Enron?

Goodbye, child.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:03 PM

2,341 posts, read 11,982,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Well the stock market has rebounded, those dumb fool who cashed out in 2008, well tough cookies.

Those employees who bought 100% company stock. Well that’s investing idiocy 101.

Those who bought big trucks and SUV to cart them around in paved paradises have forfeited any right to complain about gas prices.

When it comes to food prices consider it a reason for them to lose weight. I’m tired of bleeding hearts making excuses for others.

I bet your all in for the redistrbution of wealth.
Goodbye, child. Your day of reckoning will come.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Goodbye, child. Your day of reckoning will come.
Ok Obama voter

Old 05-11-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:

What was the hourly wage back in 1965, when "stupid old grandpa" was working his a$$ off at a job you'd not competent enough, or man enough, to do? Here's a hint, junior: Minimum wage was $1.25 per hour, and the average wage was $2.58 per hour. So if "stupid old grandpa" saves half of his income - something YOU are nowhere near man enough to do - how much did he save up? And what if he was one of the tens of thousands of people who had his entire life's savings stolen by (for instance) Enron?

Goodbye, child.
It’s relative to what things cost, I’m sure back in the day those wages you posted were not bad.

You keep bringing up Enron. I wonder if you’ve understand that investing common sense says to keep your investments diversified.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,260,959 times
Quote:

Goodbye, child.
I work in a warehouse and have various others working plenty of 12-16 hours shifts. G-Pa doesn't have nothing on me. So minimum wage was $1.25....how much was bread or gas. Couple of cents? Minimum wage now is almost $8 bucks. How much is gas....almost half of the minimum wage! Please a $1.25 went a lot farther back then. $1.25 isn't even worth the money it is printed on nowadays.

I agree good bye child.

About the Enron you keep bring up (did you lose money?). Who puts their life savings in 1 company? Ill just put all of my entire life savings and retirement accounts in Apple. Does that make sense. You spread it out. Duh!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:21 PM

133 posts, read 171,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Ever heard the expression you have to pay if you want to play?

I'm venturing most truck and SUV owners have never heard that expression.
Sure I have. When I bought my truck new in October '01 diesel was $1.06 per gallon. Now it ranges from $4-$5.

I love getting ****** in the ***!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:23 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,258,626 times
I grew up in a community of about 25,000 at the time of the inflationary "spike" of 1966-1978. From time to time, even the local newspaper of that day would not that "a general increase" in the prise of some staple good or service, like a draft beer or a haircut, would increase all over town. In actual fact, the local barbers or tavern owners, or whoever, would agree to raise the price simultaneously.

In theory, of course, this was a blatant violation of the antitrust laws, but the market was far too small for anyone to make a fuss about, and I suspect that a similar mode of thinking applies here.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:25 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,459,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I still believe it will be Bush's fault until April 4, 2063 when we have First Contact with the Vulcans.
Is that when it happens? Shoot, I haven't watched a Star Trek movie since, well, I remember this scene:

Star Trek 5: The Final Frontier (8/9) Movie CLIP - One Voice, Many Faces (1989) HD - YouTube

I guess I should catch up.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,706,694 times
I fill up with cheap gas in the suburbs of Chicago, yet it still was $4.19 / gal 87 octane. My 99 Civic HX was getting 43 to 50 mpg hwy with A/C on, yet it cost me $4.19 to get home too.

Gas shouldn't be this expensive, - we're getting gouged by oil companies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive