Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,021,236 times

Advertisements

I have a thing for Maybachs ... I'm going to choose this one for my roadtrip instead:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,588,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A full sized conversion van. They do not make a more comfortable vehicle.

Agree, it is REALLY nice to have all the amenities while on a road trip, and pull off and fish or take a nap. Stay a day, stay a week. Personally I prefer a VW Vanagon 'Westy' for comfort in driving and nearly horizontal steering wheel (as does my semi-truck). The on-board hot water heater for showers and dinner is NICE.

I don't mind joining DW on road trips either...20 mpg 'woman's motorhome Rialta Heaven - Welcome - Rialta Eurovan Camper, VW Rialta Camper, Used Camper Van

Most of mine are done in my fleet of Passat GLX wagons I converted to Diesel... 1200+ miles per fill-up. I can maintain a pretty high average speed only stopping once / day. They are also getting HW heaters and e-pumps for showers)

Old 05-17-2013, 01:56 PM

24,473 posts, read 33,157,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I would chose this for a road trip if I were dead. It would be an ideal road trip car for a dead person.

I might want a convertible though. Even dead, it woudl be nice to have the wind in your hair.

alive if I were by myself instead of with family, I might like to try it on a motorcycle. Otherwise a roadster. Maybe a freshly restored/rebuilt Jensen Healey or TR 3 if I had some nice earphones.
Really? There are an awful lot of "dead" millionaires, celebrities and businessmen riding around in limousines.

A TR 3? A Triumph TR 3? I would consider that a punishment for using on a road trip!

Last edited by Fleet; 05-17-2013 at 02:47 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM

11,223 posts, read 16,356,235 times
I would do a North American loop starting here in Windsor. I would head north, visit Quebec, then hit the maritime provinces. South thru the States to Florida, west along the Gulf States to California, then the PCH to Vancouver. Keep headed north along the Sea to Sky highway to Alaska, then cut across Canada to Lake Superior and follow the very twisty path which lines the north shores of Lakes Superior and Huron until I made my way back home.

Vehicle of choice is my 1991 Wrangler. I will need new kidneys when I return, but the covered wagon suspension and fabric top will really give me that pioneer spirit. lol

Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 PM

24,473 posts, read 33,157,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Yesssss!
And you can sleep in the trunk and save some money on lodging.
Thank you for having good taste!

If that car wasn't available, then I would pick a stretch Lincoln Limousine like this one:

Old 05-18-2013, 07:11 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,733,599 times
I'm with Coldjensens. For a road trip with the family I would be all over a Ford E-350 conversion van. Roomy, comfortable and the perfect family cruising machine.

If I were to take one by myself I have already done it with the vehicle I would take. A custom made Jeep CJ-5. Big v-8, soft top, killer stereo; Sure it wasn't the best ride, no it wasn't the most luxurious, but it was a great vehicle for me to take cross country. If I stopped in an area with some interesting sites I wanted to see, I didn't care about the roads or trails needed to take in order to get there. It drove great and had plenty of nuts for city/highway driving, plus I sat up high enough to have excellent visibility.

As for the route it would be the same by myself or with the family. I would take a winding trip across the northern tier with stops in the UP of Michigan; Boundary Waters are in MN; Badlands N.P.; Windcave NP; Dinosaur museum in Dickinson, ND; Grand Tetons; Bozeman, MT; Glacier NP; Frank Church River of No Return wilderness area; Olympic peninsula; Sea lion caves in OR. Then return on a southern route and see the California coast, Las Vegas; Grand Canyon; The four corners and the Anasazi ruins; Up through the mountains and passes in CO (county and state roads - 550 to 92 to 133 down 82 to 24. Hit 91 in leadville and then wind around through Frisco to Silverthorn) From there all backroads back home to mid western MI. Actually I like to stick to State and county roads and off the interstates. Interstates tend not to follow the most interesting routes and it is too easy to blast through a region at 80+ MPH and not see or experience a darn thing worth taking a road trip for. 99% of these places I have been to already and would love to share them with the family.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,756,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
My choice for a road trip would be a pre-1977 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine.

Elegance, class, style, comfort and roominess all in one!

The one below is a 1970...
I just saw that car on TV, a bio of John Lee Hooker, that was his car!

I am going on a road trip to SC, NC, VA, driving my little convertible. I love it!

Old 05-18-2013, 09:11 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,642,947 times
My wife and I have always dreamed of taking a road trip in a 1948 Chevrolet Fleetline, dressed in vintage clothes, stopping at all the yard sales and pretending that we didn't know what all that newfangled stuff was.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:24 AM

11,223 posts, read 16,356,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My wife and I have always dreamed of taking a road trip in a 1948 Chevrolet Fleetline, dressed in vintage clothes, stopping at all the yard sales and pretending that we didn't know what all that newfangled stuff was.

That actually sounds like alot of fun! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive