Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 02:01 PM

986 posts, read 1,864,448 times

Advertisements

The city is putting down new asphalt outside my house right now on the street. How long do I have to wait until I can drive on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 02:12 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
If you can't drive on it, how will you get around? I would assume as soon as it dries

Old 05-13-2013, 02:12 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
I'd assume the city will let you know. They'll take down the no parking signs or whatever they currently have up.

Usually it's still a bit wet when it's done, but it shouldn't hurt your car any.

---

Last year the city just repaved our road in front of our house. I had a dead battery in my car and had to move the car from the driveway to the street. I ended up scaring the asphalt when I turned the wheel to straighten the car out. There were also some tire marks too. They eventually went away though.

The bad thing is when the city tries to repair the roads that are used by heavy trucks. There's one road that didn't dry and allowed big trucks to drive on. There are big scars in the road there and it looked worse than before the paving.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
Drive on the fresh asphalt when it is cool like at 6 a.m.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
Asphalt sets up pretty quickly. As soon as the rollers get off it, you can drive on it.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Asphalt doesn't "dry". The rollers pack it and once that is complete, a person can drive on it, however if you turn your wheels, you can peel it. Asphalt should get a cool cycle, once and then is fine. So overnight is recommended. First thing in the morning, you shouldn't have a problem.

On the highway, you often see where the rollers pull off the asphalt and they immediately allow traffic to start moving across it. That is fine because the cars are not cranking their wheels one way or the other, the traffic is moving straight across it, and usually at a reduced speed. In and out of a driveway is a different story and needs that cool cycle.

Chip sealing is slightly different. Did they chip seal the road, or lay new asphalt? Chip sealing is when they squirt down oil with a distributor and then lay about 2 inches of chipped rock on top of it. Asphalt is a little more durable to new traffic than chip sealing is, however, with chip sealing you will cause less permanent damage if you drive on it too soon.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 AM

3,937 posts, read 2,338,527 times
^^^You must have read my mind because I had seal coat done on my driveway yesterday around 8 am. It dried and cooled overnight. The guy that did it said it would be ok to drive on the next morning. When I did, I had tire marks on my driveway when I left. He said , that's normal. Is it really?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
^^^You must have read my mind because I had seal coat done on my driveway yesterday around 8 am. It dried and cooled overnight. The guy that did it said it would be ok to drive on the next morning. When I did, I had tire marks on my driveway when I left. He said , that's normal. Is it really?
Seal coat will continue to heat during the day and settle. As long as you didn't peel it and have old pavement showing, you are fine. Tire tracks will settle out when it gets hot or more traffic runs over it.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 171,905 times
We are construct asphalt road last week, there is a problem we phasing. The impretion of tire mark of vehicals phound on road surphace after moving the vehicals. My question is how it done and what is it's solution?

Old 04-04-2014, 05:00 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilip Sonawane View Post
We are construct asphalt road last week, there is a problem we phasing. The impretion of tire mark of vehicals phound on road surphace after moving the vehicals. My question is how it done and what is it's solution?
You are constructing a road and you're on here asking for assistance

Maybe check out community college for a paving class in what ever country you're in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive