Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Similarly, I would avoid installing a GPS system in the dashboard of a car as an option. The dash mounted devices are better and are getting better monthly. Why get stuck with something in the dash that pretty much can't be updated?
Huh? Any good in-dash system can be updated now. It's as simple as plugging in a USB stick, or some of them can do it wirelessly. You also get lifetime street traffic updates.

Even the ones that don't allow for the loaded maps to be updated, a lot of them let you plug in your phone and use the phone's maps program on the display.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Huh? Any good in-dash system can be updated now. It's as simple as plugging in a USB stick, or some of them can do it wirelessly. You also get lifetime street traffic updates.

Even the ones that don't allow for the loaded maps to be updated, a lot of them let you plug in your phone and use the phone's maps program on the display.
But you are stuck with that system (that yes can be updated). You can't replace it with a newer technology like you could with a new cell phone or cell phone application.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
We bought a Tom Tom in 2007 and I updated it about 2 years ago. It had not given us any issues (except the noted battery problem) until our last trip to Florida. I got very aggravated with it. It doesn't seem to understand divided highways. I pulled out my smart phone and used the Google Maps with much better results.

Thinking we might buy a Garmin for your next trip as the people I know who have them like them.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
It's GPS fer crying out loud, not like there's any new development in hardware that's available to civilian use (we're only allowed to access the most minimal of information from the satellites). My 7 year old Garmin does the job as well as my in-laws brand new "smart" phone ~ and they used to (no clue if it's still true) use the Exact same NavTac GIS information.

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 7 years ago for my first GPS and it's still in use today. The internal battery is trash, but since I only ever use it in-vehicle, it's not a problem. I just bought another Garmin (GPSmap 78s) for outdoor play. "Smart" phone is not something I will ever posses, unless Verizon (the only carrier that functions where I live) will allow one to be on their network for a non-data ($10/month) price and even then I probably won't bother just due to the purchase cost, lack of durability, Massive size issues, etc... That which tried to do everything, does nothing well. I'll stick with my dedicated Phone for Phone calls, and dedicated GPS for GPS use.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:23 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I have had several different dash top units. The absolute best IMO is the one in my Android phone. It uses google maps, it talks to you and gives you warnings of upcoming turns and it updates for reported traffic and construction problems. Best of all it is included int he phone package. No fees, not cost for updates and I can use it for walking, boating, biking or taking aa train as well as driving. I always have it with me if I rent a car or borrow a car, or drive a different car while mine is down for maintenance. When I have driven cars with built in nav, I still prefer to use my phone. It is super easy to use. tap one symbol and say "Navigate to home" or "Navigate to Home Depot" or Bank of America, or "dad Jensen Home" No tapping of buttons, not looking up addresses if it is in my contacts. If I have a calender entry with the location on it, one tap brings it into navigation.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
It's GPS fer crying out loud, not like there's any new development in hardware that's available to civilian use (we're only allowed to access the most minimal of information from the satellites). My 7 year old Garmin does the job as well as my in-laws brand new "smart" phone ~ and they used to (no clue if it's still true) use the Exact same NavTac GIS information.

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 7 years ago for my first GPS and it's still in use today. The internal battery is trash, but since I only ever use it in-vehicle, it's not a problem. I just bought another Garmin (GPSmap 78s) for outdoor play. "Smart" phone is not something I will ever posses, unless Verizon (the only carrier that functions where I live) will allow one to be on their network for a non-data ($10/month) price and even then I probably won't bother just due to the purchase cost, lack of durability, Massive size issues, etc... That which tried to do everything, does nothing well. I'll stick with my dedicated Phone for Phone calls, and dedicated GPS for GPS use.
You must not be using Google Maps in the smartphone. Google does not use the same maps as Garmin and Tomtom.

Google's turn by turn is better. The maps are updated daily, not yearly. It shows traffic in realtime - for free. And the software itself improves several times a year. Google's maps are integrated with Google search - so search for a restaurant by name and it will take you there.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

The updates I have seen are just map updates. New roads. They don't contain software improvements or updates (except bug fixes).

Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Not for traffic it doesn't. Google Maps uses crowdsourcing to estimate speeds on roadways.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
You 2 aren't arguing GPS, you're talking ancillary software programming.

I'll let you guys carry on assuming that everyone can afford (or wants to) the $1000+/year cost when a dedicated GPS for $100 will do the same job of telling you where you are now, and routing you to wherever you input. Different arguments.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
$1000+/year cost?

And no, a dedicated GPS won't necessarily do the same thing. Smartphone-based nav programs have benefits and drawbacks that are worth comparing to dedicated GPS units. And if you already have a smartphone, there's no added cost to use it for GPS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive