Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:12 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times

Advertisements

Friend I hope that you dont owe any money on your car. You are not only looking at a VERY LARGE increase in your liability insurance the increase in the collision coverage will be VERY LARGE ALSO... The increase in rates will be more than enough to buy you another car. Speeding does pay...It pays the police department...lol and I almost forgot to mention how much you will need now to pay to ride public transit because you WILL lose your license for at least 3 months.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 06:16 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
If someone tells you 'I never speed', don't believe it. Everyone speeds. No one drives less than the posted speed. If you are driving 46 mph in a 45 zone, you are speeding. If you were around during the national 55 mph limit farce, you were a speeder. If your sub-division speed limit is 25 mph and you are doing 26 mph, you are speeding.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 PM

844 posts, read 1,657,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
No I don't speed and never did.

Reason: They showed us gory movies in high school driver's education class. I did not want to wind up like those people in the car accidents. Also some kids from my high school were killed in an accident because they were speeding, so that too.

And car insurance costs can skyrocket, not to mention the cost of the tickets.
Most people get speeding tickets because they are a little bit faster than the posted limit, and 60 on a 45 doesn't dramatically increase the possibility of fatal car accidents.

Excessive speeding is another story though.

I even New York folks who don't need to drive. Driving is ridiculously expensive due to insurance,parking, potential tickets. Also, driving is stressful because I have to watch out for the cops with detectors and unexpected change of speed limit in smaller towns.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRock23 View Post
I've been told always plead not guilty.

106 on a 55 is... License Suspension grounds, right?

I just don't want the maximum charge.
it depends on your jurisdiction. before you go into court and enter a plea, first determine if you can attend traffic school to work off the ticket. that way you attend either a 4 or 8 hour class, and the ticket is essentially suspended from your record and after a year and a half it is expunged. your insurance company is never notified, and the ticket never shows up on your driving record, UNLESS you are caught for another moving violation in that year and a half.

if you cant go to driving school, then go talk to the city or country attorney that has responsibility for traffic court, and see if you can plead the charge down to a lesser offense, perhaps 15 over, and avoid a trial and save the jurisdiction some money. since it is a first offense, chances are they will accept a deal.

if they wont, and you cant go to traffic school, THEN hire an attorney of your own to work the system for you.

as for me, i still break the occasional traffic law, including the speed laws, but not by much anymore, and only when there is little traffic around.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,470 times
Quote:
Got a ticket on Friday for going 106 on a 55. Its my first ticket, and I'm definitely pleading not guilty, even though I was. Also got caught for tinted windows. That's a different story though.

Anyway, after that ticket, I just don't see the point in driving fast anymore. Yea, the thrill is cool or whatever, but I could've killed someone.

So do you guys still speed? If you do, why? If not, what made you stop.

Yes, just happens

Old 05-19-2013, 06:22 PM

21 posts, read 42,459 times
This ticket took place in New York.

Since it's my first ticket, I'm hoping the judge sees my sincerity in that I'm genuinely sorry about this.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 PM

408 posts, read 997,921 times
Quote:
So do you guys still speed? If you do, why? If not, what made you stop.
I don't speed as much as I used to for several reasons:

1) I want to increase my efficiency in fuel consumption
2) I will still end up at the same red light usually
3) possible ticket
4) It increases my chances of accidents, whether my fault or someone else's
5) harder on the car

However, that doesn't mean I always drive the limit. For me, speeding is excessively passing vehicles on a roadway, and not "going with the flow". Sometimes, "going with the flow" necessitates light speeding.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
I love speed (now that I'm older I'm more careful) and have gotten a couple of tickets, but I just have to say, "What were you thinking???" You were going twice the speed limit!
Do the words "reckless driving" and "jail time" not mean anything to you? It's not a game... you could have killed someone.
OP is 18. Good judgment is not often the hallmark of 18 year old behavior, but hopefully he's learning something here!

Brain Connection » Powered by Posit Science - Your Brain Health Headquarters

Old 05-19-2013, 06:45 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Everyone speeds, anyone who denies it is a liar. Anything over the posted speed limit is speeding.

OP if you're in AZ be prepared to have someone drive you home if you go to court to plead your case. You may even get jail time for going over the speed limit by 20+ mph and also for reckless driving. Be prepared for a huge increase in your insurance policy if you're lucky not to get it canceled.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:48 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
OP is 18. Good judgment is not often the hallmark of 18 year old behavior, but hopefully he's learning something here!

Brain Connection » Powered by Posit Science - Your Brain Health Headquarters
You know, you are correct about that, and I have seen those studies on brain development.
I would have to comment, though, that a majority of young people have the judgment to not go twice the speed limit, especially when that gets one over 100 mph.

By the way, OP, I grew up in New York State and I think you are going to need a good lawyer.

Good luck, anyway. I am glad you have so quickly seen the error of your ways, and I hope you live a long and healthy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive